• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have to sell of these, and am very torn

88 posts in this topic

Of the options you put forth, I'd unload the baseball cards.

Another option: Sell both, buy the other coin, then put the rest of the money toward a 1799 $5 that looks like your 1800.

The other piece is a 1807 $2.50 in PCGS XF45 CAC. Very few CAC examples have come on the market.

I wouldn't sell either of the coins to finance the purchase of this coin.

+1

So you're selling one of these to buy a green bean? ;) Doesn't seem like a fair trade.

Do this. Look at auction records for early $2.50 pieces. See how many didnt have issues and were CAC'd. 99% of my type set is CAC'd, and id rather it not become 98%.

Sell the car, keep the coins.

Lance.

NO CHANCE!!

I was just having some fun.

But in all seriousness, unless it is a classic rarity, an exotic car is cool but easily replaced. I've owned many and each time I sold I felt regret for a few days.

Ultimately I realized every one could be had whenever I wanted. Few appreciated.

Something to think about?

Lance.

If you've already reached such a contentious budgetary situation, with acquisition of so few coins, then you may want to seriously consider abandoning what appears to be your goal of an early type set in too-unaffordable of grades.

Obtain coins in lower grades so you can "spread the wealth", or jump ship altogether.

Early gold in nice VF grades is a lot more affordable and looks REALLY nice when original.

Option C: Credit card limit increase.

This is a horrible choice, particularly where large sums of money are obtained at high interest rates that compound daily. Even with great credit, the interest could make the potential new purchase cost more than it is worth.

Cannibalizing one's collection of nice rarer pieces to buy some other piece, unless you are getting an even rarer piece, is normally a sign that you should slow down for a bit.

I agree.

Cannibalizing one's collection of nice rarer pieces to buy some other piece, unless you are getting an even rarer piece, is normally a sign that you should slow down for a bit.

I agree.

What about selling a rare piece for an even rarer piece?

I agree.

If both pieces are that disposable to you, then why not sell both of them? It looks like your new coin might cost you about the same as both of those. I personally would rather have these two over the other (probably), but if you must have the other piece, go for it. My personal preference is to keep quality coins, and save for additional quality coins rather than flipping coins to which I am attached.

I agree.

I'll do that but ONLY, if it is the SAME issue upgrade, such as a 19 D MS 62 for a 19 D MS 63.

Otherwise, it's not sensible and it is like robbing Peter to pay Paul (so to speak). Then you'll have another empty hole to fill and you aren't REALLY making progress.

I would maybe consider it, if I had a REALLY unattractive coin, but in your case BOTH coins are nice examples.

I agree.

I'll do that but ONLY, if it is the SAME issue upgrade, such as a 19 D MS 62 for a 19 D MS 63.

Otherwise, it's not sensible and it is like robbing Peter to pay Paul (so to speak). Then you'll have another empty hole to fill and you aren't REALLY making progress.

Well these are both early $5 pieces so.....there wouldnt be an empty hole. Just saying.

I agree.

Well these are both early $5 pieces so.....there wouldnt be an empty hole. Just saying.

Ohhhh..... it's a type set. Could I have been more unobservant?? ;) Well then, I guess that it makes a little more sense.

So anyone look for a Mantle rookie card? :D

Do people still pay good money for baseball cards? Last time I checked, the few that I have tanked like 90% since the mid-1990s. (shrug)

Ultimately it's your decision, so no one can make it for you. Go with your gut.

So anyone look for a Mantle rookie card? :D

Do people still pay good money for baseball cards? Last time I checked, the few that I have tanked like 90% since the mid-1990s. (shrug)

Ultimately it's your decision, so no one can make it for you. Go with your gut.

Not true. Moderns crashed. Vintage in top grades have flourished. MJ

Without getting into it, look here for your answer:

http://www.707sportscards.com/psalist/1952-Topps-Yankees_1.html

This example is worth aroud $5500-$6000 due to how clean the front/obverse is.

I have gave you some smoking hot deals on silver and collectible coins over the years..... lol no biggie....... Not a huge fan of my father in law anyways

I would sell the 1798 for two reasons:

1. The 1800 is a better quality, more attractive coin for your type set.

2. I could use the 1798 for my date set of early $5's. ;)

I would also sell the Mantle rookie. There is no way that would ever CAC (if there is or ever was a CAC equivalent for cards) with the sewer juice stain on it.

I would also sell the Mantle rookie. There is no way that would ever CAC (if there is or ever was a CAC equivalent for cards) with the sewer juice stain on it.

Sewer Juice.... Wow you really are a Dirt aficionado! :applause:

In order to fund a new purchsae, I have to sell one of these coins. I dont want to, but you cant keep everything right?

I like certain attributes of both coins. I know the obvious answer is to keep the AU55, and that is what im leaning towards. But what would you do?

1798halfeagle.jpg

1800halfeagle.jpg

Ankur

In my mind, these are two very different coins. The 1798 is an original circulated gold piece from the 18th century, and very hard to find as such. The 1800 is stripped, slidder Unc from the 19th century.

The 1798 is the tougher coin.

So im process of selling some stuff. But I took a loan from my savings to buy this beauty. It was well worth it as the coin screams original. I spoke to John Albanese about the coin and he said its an A+ for the grade and truly PQ!

A big thanks to Doug Winter for working with me. This completes my Draped Bust Hearaldic Eagle Gold type set! :D

25pn21c.jpg

In order to fund a new purchsae, I have to sell one of these coins. I dont want to, but you cant keep everything right?

I like certain attributes of both coins. I know the obvious answer is to keep the AU55, and that is what im leaning towards. But what would you do?

Ankur

In my mind, these are two very different coins. The 1798 is an original circulated gold piece from the 18th century, and very hard to find as such. The 1800 is stripped, slidder Unc from the 19th century.

The 1798 is the tougher coin.

I agree. The 1800 looks unusually bright to me. I like the 1798 better although obviously, I wish it was in a higher grade.