• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin Census Question

36 posts in this topic

I have a seller on Ebay claiming that he has PCGS MS-68FBL and 69FBL coins (12 of them!) consigned to an auction. Can someone check the census and tell me if these coins exist? Has anyone heard of them, or seen them, or know what he is talking about? I think the guy is full of it, because I've never heard of such a thing. There is a single 68FBL graded at NGC for the entire series.

NGC has graded one MS68FBL. It is a 1948.

There are two non-FBL MS68s in the census also (one 1957 and one 1959).

There are no Frankies graded MS69 of any kind from NGC.

Based on looking at the #1 FBL PCGS registry set, you can confirm that there are indeed zero MS68FBLs graded by PCGS. http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/publishedset.aspx?s=1515

The guy is not being honest.

-Brandon

I have a seller on Ebay claiming that he has PCGS MS-68FBL and 69FBL coins (12 of them!) consigned to an auction. Can someone check the census and tell me if these coins exist? Has anyone heard of them, or seen them, or know what he is talking about? I think the guy is full of it, because I've never heard of such a thing. There is a single 68FBL graded at NGC for the entire series.

They don't exist. Maybe it was a knock-off third world company that sounds close to PCGS (and obviously the coins are not MS68 or MS69 quality).

The finest graded Franklin Half Dollars from PCGS are all graded MS67. There are 74 of them without the FBL designation and 96 with the FBL designation, for a total of 170 in MS67. There are none finer.

On second thought, maybe he meant that the coins are graded proof 68 and proof 69. There are many people that still believe in designating proof coins as "FBL" despite the fact that PCGS/NGC will not do this and that all proof Franklin Half Dollars should have full bell lines.

PCGS has certified 7,790 Franklin Half Dollars in PF68 and 372 in PF69. All numbers include the normal, cameo, and deep cameo designated coins.

Hmmm...last time I was in Philly, there were no Liberty Bell lines. People just milled about so there were no bell lines to fill....And, there were never as many as 68 or 69 around there at one time - maybe that applies to school groups?

On second thought, maybe he meant that the coins are graded proof 68 and proof 69. There are many people that still believe in designating proof coins as "FBL" despite the fact that PCGS/NGC will not do this and that all proof Franklin Half Dollars should have full bell lines.

PCGS has certified 7,790 Franklin Half Dollars in PF68 and 372 in PF69. All numbers include the normal, cameo, and deep cameo designated coins.

He was very clear that they were MS-68 and 69 FBL, and he said PCGS. He said they were valued at "$30K +" and he consigned them to Stacks for a 2013 auction. He said he consigned 15,000 coins to them, and that he still has 35,000.

He was very clear that they were MS-68 and 69 FBL, and he said PCGS. He said they were valued at "$30K +" and he consigned them to Stacks for a 2013 auction. He said he consigned 15,000 coins to them, and that he still has 35,000.

This guy either forgot to take his Nemenda or he's a liar. One or the other.

NGC has graded one MS68FBL. It is a 1948.

There are two non-FBL MS68s in the census also (one 1957 and one 1959).

There are no Frankies graded MS69 of any kind from NGC.

Based on looking at the #1 FBL PCGS registry set, you can confirm that there are indeed zero MS68FBLs graded by PCGS. http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/publishedset.aspx?s=1515

The guy is not being honest.

-Brandon

As others have already said, there are no PCGS MS68s or 69s, and NGC has only graded 1 or 2 MS68s.

Haha. I asked him if they were proofs, and this was his response. I laughed so hard I had to post it:

Go back to your friend and ask him how long before PCGS ads new grades to there listings. Everything can be kept quiet for auction houses. Because we are talking BIG MONEY. If you do come into big money. Then keep your eyes peeled for the anouncement. They're not proofs. And your friend is not a member of PCGS, and probably not a member of NGC, and probably doesn't recieve the BLUE SHEET.

Haha. I asked him if they were proofs, and this was his response. I laughed so hard I had to post it:

Go back to your friend and ask him how long before PCGS ads new grades to there listings. Everything can be kept quiet for auction houses. Because we are talking BIG MONEY. If you do come into big money. Then keep your eyes peeled for the anouncement. They're not proofs. And your friend is not a member of PCGS, and probably not a member of NGC, and probably doesn't recieve the BLUE SHEET.

Well, if his ability to tell the truth is on par with his ability to spell and make complete sentences, then I think we will never see these supposed coins.

lol

You should reply to him and drop Mark Feld's name and credentials, and see what he has to say.

Just back after ~ a week out of town.

Clearly the guy is full of it. The next thing that came to my mind is that the guy could have some genuine Chinese PCGS MS68-9 FBL Frankies.

Yeah, I requested pics. In a continuing display of how awesome this Ebay seller is, this is his most recent email:

Dear physics-fan3.14,

HAHA too you to! You don't even know what a blue sheet is. Have absolutely know knowledge of the top two grading services. And I bet you have no friends. So get over yourself you failed and will continue to!

- octacircle

For anyone interested, this is the coin I was bidding on: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120924238368?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1416

Yeah, I requested pics. In a continuing display of how awesome this Ebay seller is, this is his most recent email:

Have absolutely know knowledge

lol that excerpt sums up this whole situation.

Dear physics-fan3.14,

HAHA too you to! You don't even know what a blue sheet is. Have absolutely know knowledge of the top two grading services. And I bet you have no friends. So get over yourself you failed and will continue to!

- octacircle

For anyone interested, this is the coin I was bidding on: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120924238368?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1416

lol That guys sounds like a real assclown.

jom