• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

314 Peace Dollars - Funny Link

27 posts in this topic

(shrug) there are 8 NGC Peace $ on this Heritage link?

314 is the starting serial numnber. I would have called them the pi peace dollars.

Well, they look a bit "fishy" when you put them all next to each other like that.

Any idea is these were spread to the wind in those two auction dates, or if someone snagged them all up in those Jul/Aug 2003 auctions? Just wondering if you've seen any of these "314" dollars hit the market since 9 years ago?

Well, they look a bit "fishy" when you put them all next to each other like that.

Any idea is these were spread to the wind in those two auction dates, or if someone snagged them all up in those Jul/Aug 2003 auctions? Just wondering if you've seen any of these "314" dollars hit the market since 9 years ago?

The 314 Peace Dollars are ALL OVER the marketplace.

Those 8 were only a fraction of the ones available.

They pop up on eBay, Teletrade, HA, and GreatCollections every now and then, not to mention on dealer sites.

Zboyle bought one in the last 2 weeks.

This one sold in February: http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1167&lotNo=9235

Here's one that made it into a reholder and sold in January: http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1166&lotNo=12448

ok, i give. what am i missing here?

Johnny,

There is a known horde of Peace Dollars, which all have similar toning, that mostly reside in NGC holders with the certification number starting in the numerals '314'.

These Peace Dollars allegedly have 'purse toning', but there are many whole are in the AT camp, myself included.

People are continuously trading these coins.

Id like to add that the reason these coins arent a big deal is because they are ugly. AT is suppose to enhance the appearance.

Id like to add that the reason these coins arent a big deal is because they are ugly. AT is suppose to enhance the appearance.

I agree with you, and the coins immediately look suspicious to me (even had you not compared them together).

Also, since everyone is afraid of the slab numbers, why wouldn't prospective sellers simply have the coins regraded (i.e. and submit them in their original slabs)? My understanding is that a regrade would change the invoice number of the coin.

I agree with you, and the coins immediately look suspicious to me (even had you not compared them together).

Also, since everyone is afraid of the slab numbers, why wouldn't prospective sellers simply have the coins regraded (i.e. and submit them in their original slabs)? My understanding is that a regrade would change the invoice number of the coin.

A regrade would change the invoice number, but would also risk the coin body-bagging.

http://coins.ha.com/common/search_results.php?Ntk=SI_Titles&Ntt=rainbow&Nty=1&N=51+790+231+4294967152+384+4294966952+1588&chkNotSold=0

Please respond with your previous thoughts about the 314 Peace Dollars, and your thoughts after seeing those thumbnails all in one page.

They probably are AT, but I don't think you can judge them by the purposfully reduced quality, archival Heritage scans from 2003. I'm sure the colors are much more bold, as other links in this thread (to more recent photographs) clearly show.

http://coins.ha.com/common/search_results.php?Ntk=SI_Titles&Ntt=rainbow&Nty=1&N=51+790+231+4294967152+384+4294966952+1588&chkNotSold=0

Please respond with your previous thoughts about the 314 Peace Dollars, and your thoughts after seeing those thumbnails all in one page.

They probably are AT, but I don't think you can judge them by the purposfully reduced quality, archival Heritage scans from 2003. I'm sure the colors are much more bold, as other links in this thread (to more recent photographs) clearly show.

I agree. The older pictures are of very poor quality than the last 2 links given to a couple of these. I think the other links give a much better representation of the coins. I still can't judge AT or NT as who actually knows what these colors look like in-hand.

i love the one i bought a couple weeks ago and would gladly buy some more, they are hard to find now, maybe once every couple months one pops up on ebay. Whether it is AT or NT i don't care. I am leaning towards NT because they all have the same progression and type of toning. No doubt they were stored in similar conditions, maybe even conditions that would promote tonin6g, but they do not have the typical bright colors and progressions that other blatantly AT coins have. I bet they took some time to tone like that, maybe couple years, 10 years, who knows. But at some point the amount of time taken to tone would be considered natural, right????

My red flag with these is this. No progression. Just a sudden straight lined color change.

at1.jpg

My red flag with these is this. No progression. Just a sudden straight lined color change.

at1.jpg

Not to mention the color never hiccups against the devices look most NT coins do.

I have never seen any of those before....I would say if I saw one by itself I might lean toward NT based on the images....now seeing so many graded at the same time with almost identical toning on the obverse and reverse...I don't see how anyone could not call them suspect...not necessarily AT but suspect.

If they were all stored in the same album them they could all have a similar appearence but they are all the same date and I don't know anyone who fills an album with all the same date?

I have never seen any of those before....I would say if I saw one by itself I might lean toward NT based on the images....now seeing so many graded at the same time with almost identical toning on the obverse and reverse...I don't see how anyone could not call them suspect...not necessarily AT but suspect.

If they were all stored in the same album them they could all have a similar appearence but they are all the same date and I don't know anyone who fills an album with all the same date?

That is one fact I forgot to mention. They are always 1924-P's.

Im working on a obtaining Mercury Dime Hoard..... If it ever comes through for me you all will have the same convo about them.... lol Ive been trying to get them for months now. Some went as high as MS68FB. Great group of nuclear coins!!!

Part of this hoard was around here in So Cal years ago now. I didn't like them then nor now. AT/NT? meh....who cares? Although I agree with Jerseycat's point about the devices vs. the fields....

jom

Somewhere I read /heard they were stored in some sort of leather bag which I could see several coins with the same date being stored that way, similar to putting rolls together of one date.

As a side note, I like them and would definatly like to own a few.

Nick