• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Major Slab Problem

16 posts in this topic

How tough is an NGC Slab?

Did you ever wonder just how tough an NGC Slab is? I found out the hard way - my 2 month old Border Collie found a couple of excellent chew toys.

I am glad she decided to go after a couple of the inexpensive varieties. I suppose now the Morgan will be a crack-out whereas poor Mr. Lincoln will never recover.

All in all I'm impressed with the toughness of an NGC slab!! They survived a decent chewing and an overnight stay in the back yard. I'd say pretty damn tough!

11387.jpg

See more journals by dadams

I remember that commercial even though I was born in '71. I found this clip:

As to the coins - I don't feel the Lincoln Cent has enough value to justify reholdering but for sure the Morgan.

I am novice but I bought the Morgan since it is one of the cleanest I'd seen in MS63. Here is a before shot.

126135.jpg.91aea074c2068cb9064db3865c5a9596.jpg

Seems to me that HE buried them. As smart as a Border Collie is, there would be no problem sniffing out the treasure.

CLUE: Buy a safe and stop burying your coins in the back yard.

Thanks for all the replies - I don't normally abuse my coins, but rather have kept them on a low shelf in the office. Somehow or another he did indeed “sniff out the treasure" and cleverly the little guy snuck 'em out the doggie door. Needless to say I've put them a bit higher. :blush:

Too Funny, reminds me of the ATB quarter album my dog Sunny chewed on. She only chomped on the edge a little so I am actually still using the album. Brings a smile everytime I see it.

Later,

Malcolm

I think that it only costs 5 bucks for a re-slab. Lucky he didn't eat them---for you AND for him! :facepalm:

The reholder fee is $7.50, not counting shipping and handling. If you have them reholder it at a show, it is $15. No offense meant to the original poster, but neither coin is worth the expense associated with reholdering. I would break both of the coins out of the slabs and store them in mylar flips. Also, the dog would permanently become an outdoor dog, and wouldn't be allowed back in unless/until I made everything dog proof (and had all of my collectibles put away).