• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is this coin's "STAR" potential?

21 posts in this topic

Low potential. The spotty obverse is going to hurt it, but the reverse appears rather monotone amber with the exception of the band of rainbow around the outside. It is an attractive coin, of course, but it isn't "exceptional." At least in the pictures, anyways, the luster also appears not strong - the star is more often than not given to coins that have exceptional luster.

I bet the luster in hand is amazing, but I agree with physics in that it probably isn't quite enough "wow" factor to merit a star. It is a very pretty quarter! (thumbs u

Some very good opinions weighing in. Its a great looking coin in hand and the luster is a bit better in person. I got it for the reverse, but the obverse is definitely lacking. Was toying with resubmitting it, but sounds like I'll keep my fees.

Not to shabby for a Frisco coin from those early 50's but it just doesn't ~pop~ for that coveted star...still mushy details and mottled obverse toning.

Still a very nice collector quarter though...good luck.

I think it is an attractive coin, but I do not see it as being "star worthy." The mottled toning on the reverse kills it, and the discontinuity in the toning on the reverse doesn't help it either. The toning is attractive, but it also isn't what I would award a star for either. I would consider a coin star worthy it if were in the top few eye percent for eye appeal for the issue.

I don't understand the criteria for star

is it exceptional eye appeal for the grade?

Yes--with particular emphasis on nice color and good tone.

I don't understand the criteria for star

is it exceptional eye appeal for the grade?

Yes--with particular emphasis on nice color and good tone.

Exceptional luster which makes the toning "pop" will also aid in getting a star. I've not seen a star that had mediocre luster.

Don't really like obverse...based on the photo of course. I'd so no.

jom

Some very good opinions weighing in. Its a great looking coin in hand and the luster is a bit better in person. I got it for the reverse, but the obverse is definitely lacking. Was toying with resubmitting it, but sounds like I'll keep my fees.

The reverse is very nice, but the obverse is not particularly vibrant, and thus not going to make a STAR. It would have had a better shot had the obverse been the attractive side, but the type of mint set toning on that obverse needs to have more kick, anyway.

1952So25a.jpg

1952Sr25.jpg

1952Sslab25.jpg

You have a very nice collection on Washingtons. Well done!

Thanks! It will be my registry project for the next few months to years, especially adding the silver issues with great eye appeal.