• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1885-o Morgan dollar

13 posts in this topic

I had this one in a coin album for many, many years and have pretty much ignored it completely. Now I'm looking at starting a raw collection of peace dollars and every time I pull the album out this Morgan catches my eye. So I thought I would image it and ask would grade you would assign to this one. I don't collect these and could just muster a guess but I will say it looks pretty clean with not much disturbance. Icy blue fields and great luster. Maybe 64? Thanks for any help....Joe

1885-OMorgan003.jpg1885-OMorgan004.jpg

The cut on Liberty's cap is the only thing I can see keeping the coin from a 65. And, depending upon how that cut looks in person and without magnification, I still might grade it a 65.

The cut on Liberty's cap is the only thing I can see keeping the coin from a 65. And, depending upon how that cut looks in person and without magnification, I still might grade it a 65.

It's there alright and looks very close in relation to the image. Thanks for the help...

Exactly my sentiments. The back of the cap is not a prime focal area, so it is not as severe. In hand, if the luster and eye appeal make up for it, I would probably still call it 65. The fields and cheek look very clean - the cheek being one of the most important areas for marks. A clean cheek really helps with a 65.

Exactly my sentiments. The back of the cap is not a prime focal area, so it is not as severe. In hand, if the luster and eye appeal make up for it, I would probably still call it 65. The fields and cheek look very clean - the cheek being one of the most important areas for marks. A clean cheek really helps with a 65.

Thanks Jason, It's a common date but it's pretty and always catches my eye when I pull this particular album out. The luster is strong.

I almost completely concur as well, but fall on the other side of the fence at MS-64. The weaker strike (common for the date) pushes me toward 64.

Here.

Compare it to a recently graded MS64 of the same year/MM.

First blush, I would grade your MS64+ to MS65. I agree with others that it may depend on what that cut looks like in hand and how the grader feels about it.

24846517_large.jpg

Though its a nice strike for an "O" mint coin the above mentioned scratches

will hold it back. The cap looks like a staple scratch.

Not sure what the spotting is on the reverse either, if they are deteriorating the coin, it's a problem. May just be just surface marks.

I Like MS64 for the above mentioned factors