• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Be honest......

106 posts in this topic

How many of you guys actually look and make sure the CAC sticker is authentic before purchasing? Seems to me it would be pretty easy to remove a sticker and place it on a different holder. hm

I've said it before. It is possible to remove a CAC sticker and reuse it with no damage whatsoever. I did it on a reholder.

It just takes a very sharp razor to lift an edge and then it can be peeled off cleanly. It will mar the holder slightly but if it's going back for new plastic who cares?

Lance.

I'v never ahd a problem with my Common Acccess Card (CAC) peeling or anything. Works fine in the launch bay.

How many of you guys actually look and make sure the CAC sticker is authentic before purchasing? Seems to me it would be pretty easy to remove a sticker and place it on a different holder. hm

Just a useless thought- there may be times when the coin is assisted by not having a sticker. At those times, easy removal is a customer service benefit.....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

It appears to me that I have all "no" answers thus far..... Keep in mind I dont own a single CAC coin. I was just asking a question.

I'v never ahd a problem with my Common Acccess Card (CAC) peeling or anything. Works fine in the launch bay.

And mine works well in the lunch bay......

CACs are used far and wide, for many purposes.

Your particular use is proof of that. Now I know how those things actually get off the ground.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Just a useless thought- there may be times when the coin is assisted by not having a sticker. At those times, easy removal is a customer service benefit.....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Can you give us an example of a coin being "assisted by not having a sticker"?

CAC stickers can be verified through the CAC web site using a smart phone with internet access.

With that said, I can only remember a single occasion where I chose to look up a potential purchase on site. Usually the coin speaks for itself.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Good Afternoon.

Yes...... my coins.

Please note that I did preface my comment "...Just a useless thought....".

Respectfully, always.

John Curlis

I have never bothered to check for CAC verification before buying a coin. Until this thread, I thought it was not possible to transfer CAC stickers.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

If you have a coin which looks like it might deserve an upgrade, the presence of a green (and not gold) CAC sticker might actually depress the (perceived) value.

I've never checked. I believe that most folks are honest.

If I find differently, that's when I'll do whatever it takes to fix it.

;)

Respectfully,

John Curlis

If you have a coin which looks like it might deserve an upgrade, the presence of a green (and not gold) CAC sticker might actually depress the (perceived) value.

I had wondered the same thing, particularly about old PCGS "rattlers." I think a green CAC sticker would lower the value (because it would help quell speculation over the possibility of a gold sticker); however, I don't have any empirical evidence. Are you aware of anyone who has experience with this (i.e. selling a large number of comparable quality non stickered rattlers and then those with green CAC stickers)?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I had wondered the same thing, particularly about old PCGS "rattlers." I think a green CAC sticker would lower the value (because it would help quell speculation over the possibility of a gold sticker); however, I don't have any empirical evidence. Are you aware of anyone who has experience with this (i.e. selling a large number of comparable quality non stickered rattlers and then those with green CAC stickers)?

I believe that the integrity of the graders at the grading services make this point moot. They all have pride in their job and reputations to maintain. I am pretty confident that with two to three graders looking at each coin, plus a finalizer, that a coin will be graded as it should be based on the coins own merits.

As an example, this coin is in a 66 rattler holder with a green CAC sticker. PCGS is all about lustre and this coin has it in abundance. Will it 67 one day, who knows, but it has a good shot regardless the green sticker.

It's all about the coin.

:)

1913t1fcobvs.jpg

1913t1fcobv.jpg

1913t1fcrev.jpg

Mark Goodman images.

I don't check but I would notice any peeling or edge wear, etc. even if slight.

I only own one CAC stickered coin and although I like having a CAC sticker on my coin it is far from important when making a purchase consideration.

Nice BUFF btw and RIGHT ON in your remarks, Lee!! :thumbsup: I doubt that just because a coin didn't get a GOLD sticker that it WOULDN'T upgrade.

CAC= having a grader grade the grader,or graders since each coin sent certification is looked at by more than one grader.waste of money in my opinion!!!

I dont check the cert. The majority of the coins I purchase are from a reputable dealer who would not do something like that.

I've always wanted to purchase a coin with a CAC sticker on it, but now that I have read what others think about them I am not sure if paying more money for a coin with a CAC sticker is worth it.

What does it even represent? Someone said something about a grader doubling checking another grader. Can someone elaborate the benefits of a coin with a CAC sticker oppossed to one without?

If I were to buy a coin with a CAC sticker, what is an appropriate premium to add on to the coins value according to the market? I have seen some coins that have sold for $200 over what every price guide from redbook to the NGC price guide, and I always wondered if that is reasonable IF you are buying to re-sell the coin in your business, or if a collector doesn't care if they are paying that much.

And I've seen these new PCGS Secure Plus slabs. From what I understand, they boost the coins value and help detect alterations that people wouldn't really do. (If the coin is MS65 why would someone open the slab and putty the coin?) Does this thing from PCGS do the same thing a CAC label does?? Boosts the value of the coin? Maybe its another marketing idea? I know it wont matter to me at all, especially because in the Secure Plus FAQ the first question reads this

"Q: Does the laser scanning detect doctoring such as puttying more reliably than other methods? Is the technology similar to what is used for Lasik vision correction surgery (although obviously nothing is being vaporized here)?

DW: The technology uses lasers but I don't think they are anything like Lasik. They are designed to help detect coin doctoring."

I'm going to assume the methods are not different at all from what every other TPG uses to grade and authenticate coins.

Sorry if that was off topic, I'm just trying to see if there are any differences between a CAC sticker and a Secure Plus logo and I used some info I got off PCGS.com.

-Dave

CAC has been very good for the hobby. TPG grading has gotten more consistent and (perhaps) tighter.

The bean doesn't mean a lot to me. But the market seems to like it.

Lance.

And I've seen these new PCGS Secure Plus slabs. From what I understand, they boost the coins value and help detect alterations that people wouldn't really do. (If the coin is MS65 why would someone open the slab and putty the coin?) Does this thing from PCGS do the same thing a CAC label does?? Boosts the value of the coin? Maybe its another marketing idea? I know it wont matter to me at all, especially because in the Secure Plus FAQ the first question reads this

"Q: Does the laser scanning detect doctoring such as puttying more reliably than other methods? Is the technology similar to what is used for Lasik vision correction surgery (although obviously nothing is being vaporized here)?

DW: The technology uses lasers but I don't think they are anything like Lasik. They are designed to help detect coin doctoring."

I'm going to assume the methods are not different at all from what every other TPG uses to grade and authenticate coins.

CAC has nothing to do with Secure Plus.

CAC relies on the opinions of a few select graders, including John Albanese, to determine if a TPG-graded coin is PQ.

SecurePlus uses a fingerprinting tool to record a coin's image. It compares the image to others in its database to see if it was previously submitted and maybe screwed with. The Sniffer tool is also used, to check for the presence of artificial enhancements like Blue Ribbon or nose grease.

I guess you could say both CAC and SP are meant to improve a coin's value. But then, that's business.

Lance.

CAC has nothing to do with Secure Plus.

CAC relies on the opinions of a few select graders, including John Albanese, to determine if a TPG-graded coin is PQ.

SecurePlus uses a fingerprinting tool to record a coin's image. It compares the image to others in its database to see if it was previously submitted and maybe screwed with. The Sniffer tool is also used, to check for the presence of artificial enhancements like Blue Ribbon or nose grease.

I guess you could say both CAC and SP are meant to improve a coin's value. But then, that's business.

Lance.

Lance has given you a good answer, but I will elaborate a little. Many are already aware that I support the idea of CAC and I will cut-and-paste an answer I have given on the PCGS and NGC boards numerous times-

"CAC is a tool that is available to all and, as such, it is quite similar to knowing how to use a loupe; having the knowledge to spot counterfeit pieces; understanding what manipulated and original coinage should look like or how they will likely appear; being able to interpret printed guide prices and auction results; understanding how to grade according to the ANA standards and how this grading differs from the various TPG grading standards; and learning all the options for buying and selling within the market.

Sadly, the vast majority of collectors ignore their study of coinage and thus are not truly numismatists. However, some folks pursue this knowledge and will happily listen to other opinions, regardless of whether or not they agree with those opinions. CAC can help all, but will help those who are willing to accept their help the most."

What I have seen on both the PCGS and NGC boards is what I term "internet testosterone" where many folks, some of whom are knowledgeable and some not so much, dismiss CAC as handholding that they do not require. This can be true for various people within certain series and grade ranges, but what it reminds me of more would be the initial resistance from so many in the hobby-industry at the advent of third party grading, which of course we now call NGC and PCGS. Truly, NGC and PCGS have been of great value to thousands of folks in this hobby-industry over the years and, while CAC does not perform the exact same slate of services as NGC and PCGS, there is plenty left to benefit from when one uses CAC.