• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebays new rules on coins..WTF are they thinking?

52 posts in this topic

I called Ebay to ask about feedback revisions, and then asked about their new policy on graded coins. From what I understand, Ebay will now only recognize NGC or PCGS graded coins.

The customer service agent I talked to told me all of the blubblubb about it and then I asked "well, what do I do when I have coins certified by ANACS or ICG that I want to list?" Her reply word for word was "You would need to switch them to NGC or PCGS." I then asked "What will happen if I post an ANACS graded coin? Can I put ANACS in the listing title?" She replied "No. you can't. Because Ebay does not recognize them, the listings will be removed and you will be credited your insertion fee."

I said it before and I will say it again, You can argue how NGC and PCGS are the best TPGs, and talk about their slabs compared to other TPGs slabs. You may be right, but that doesn't matter to me in this situation.

I talked to a buddy of mine who is an economics major who works for the SBA, he read the same info as I did and he said

"Ebay did this to control the market. Corporations are trying to beat each other until one of them goes bankrupt and out of business, this looks like NGC and PCGS made some type of deal with Ebay in order to remove other competitors from the market by making them less noticed by consumers. Kind of like a Walmart being established in a town and then 50 small business close. I do not deal much with Ebay nor do I know much about NGC or PCGS, but in any case, big businesses will do whatever it takes to have a larger piece of the industry."

I have no problem with NGC or PCGS, but I find this BS wrong on many levels. I wouldn't care if ANACS went out of business, but Ebay's new policy is unreal. Do they really think that I will post a 1878 CC morgan graded MS64 by ANACS but I will HAVE TO post it as raw?

Lets see what happens over time.

-Dave

Not being negative here, but this is really old news. There were several posts about this 3-4 weeks ago (or longer) when it was first announced. You may want to look for some of the older threads related to this.

they want cert verification

and ICG and ANACS are racing to meet eBays deadline

you can still sell them - just as people now sell ACG, PCI, Hallmark...

I called Ebay to ask about feedback revisions, and then asked about their new policy on graded coins. From what I understand, Ebay will now only recognize NGC or PCGS graded coins.

The customer service agent I talked to told me all of the blubblubb about it and then I asked "well, what do I do when I have coins certified by ANACS or ICG that I want to list?" Her reply word for word was "You would need to switch them to NGC or PCGS." I then asked "What will happen if I post an ANACS graded coin? Can I put ANACS in the listing title?" She replied "No. you can't. Because Ebay does not recognize them, the listings will be removed and you will be credited your insertion fee."

I said it before and I will say it again, You can argue how NGC and PCGS are the best TPGs, and talk about their slabs compared to other TPGs slabs. You may be right, but that doesn't matter to me in this situation.

I talked to a buddy of mine who is an economics major who works for the SBA, he read the same info as I did and he said

"Ebay did this to control the market. Corporations are trying to beat each other until one of them goes bankrupt and out of business, this looks like NGC and PCGS made some type of deal with Ebay in order to remove other competitors from the market by making them less noticed by consumers. Kind of like a Walmart being established in a town and then 50 small business close. I do not deal much with Ebay nor do I know much about NGC or PCGS, but in any case, big businesses will do whatever it takes to have a larger piece of the industry."

I have no problem with NGC or PCGS, but I find this BS wrong on many levels. I wouldn't care if ANACS went out of business, but Ebay's new policy is unreal. Do they really think that I will post a 1878 CC morgan graded MS64 by ANACS but I will HAVE TO post it as raw?

Lets see what happens over time.

-Dave

I do not think anyone 'conspired' with anyone else in this matter.

Don't post a PCGS holder picture upside down, it doesn't meet their rules for posting certified coins :P they removed 2 of my listings because of that. I wanted the reverse of a Morgan picture right side up and it put the PCGS hologram label upside down. I will no longer sell on ebay, that was the final straw on top of their outrageous fees.

Don't post a PCGS holder picture upside down, it doesn't meet their rules for posting certified coins :P they removed 2 of my listings because of that. I wanted the reverse of a Morgan picture right side up and it put the PCGS hologram label upside down. I will no longer sell on ebay, that was the final straw on top of their outrageous fees.

Are you serious?? They pulled the listing because the hologram was upside down?? Well, you know what they say, buy the hologram, NOT the coin

I never heard of that rule and there are tons of sellers who post the reverse slab photos with the hologram upside down.

eBay can make policy as they see fit, and regulate what is sold on their site.

Case in point:

They do not allow firearms to be sold on their site. Why aren't gun collectors up in arms over that?

People can complain all they want; however, at the end of the day, eBay owns the site, and can make any policy they wish to.

Why aren't gun collectors up in arms over that?

Nice pun!

(I tried to sell the family cat on ebay and had the same problems.)

Instead of disallowing ICG, ANACS, PCI etc. and if they are going to restrict something, they should disallow RAW coins. That is wherein almost ALL of the problem arises and all of the scams. I'm not saying that they should do this!! That would be BAD!! I am just saying that it makes much more sense. Anything certified SHOULD be allowed.

It is rumored however you can sell your soul, kidneys, and various other both tangible and intangible objects on the Bay....

But upside down holograms?!! Come on.... that is just outrageous... :roflmao:

unfortunately a few spoiled for it for the majority and most know who they are

and if you want to play in ebays sandbox you gots to play by their rules or start your own online venue then you can do whatever you want to do

Instead of disallowing ICG, ANACS, PCI etc. and if they are going to restrict something, they should disallow RAW coins. That is wherein almost ALL of the problem arises and all of the scams. I'm not saying that they should do this!! That would be BAD!! I am just saying that it makes much more sense. Anything certified SHOULD be allowed.

Define "certified." Would you consider SGS holdered coins to be "certified"? What about NTC? PCI (the newer holders)? Where do you draw the line?

With this said, I understand eBay's policy from a business stand point, but I can also see why some people are upset by ANACS and ICG being excluded.

you should be able to list your coin with a definition of what holder it is in and let potential buyers make their own decision.as long as your listing is very clear on the grading company I dont see a problem.

Define "certified." Would you consider SGS holdered coins to be "certified"? What about NTC? PCI (the newer holders)? Where do you draw the line.

With this said, I understand eBay's policy from a business stand point, but I can also see why some people are upset by ANACS and ICG being excluded.

That is a good point. Maybe 'recognized' slab is a better term than 'certified'.

Define "certified." Would you consider SGS holdered coins to be "certified"? What about NTC? PCI (the newer holders)? Where do you draw the line.

That is a good point. Maybe 'recognized' slab is a better term than 'certified'.

But the term "recognized" is even more ambiguous from a legal standpoint. What constitutes recognized and recognized by whom? The easiest way to decisively resolve the controversy is to pick who is and who is not an eBay recognized service, which is what they are attempting to do. I agree that they may have gone a little too far though.

I was very disturbed about this when it first came out but I own zero PCI or SEGS, and very little ANACS or ICG. Some I will crack n cross while others will leave them alone and describe item as GEM BU, CH BU, etc and potential buyers can see the numerical grade on the slab in the photo. I won't bother to worry about crossing mods or circs. If I get higher grades on some of the second tier ones I crack n cross (have had this happen before) well the jokes on them.

I am not normally a crossover junkie since in the past I only played the crackout game to win (specify minimum grade on the invoice so coin not crossed unless same grade or higher).

One can search by TPG and see PCGS and NGC are the majority of certified coins on ebay. Its sorta like the Union Pacific and Southern Pacific RR's. The shortlines are being squeezed out.

I wonder how this move by ebay will affect the marketability of ANACS / ICG coins on other venues like Teletrade. If I were ANACS one way I would fight back is by lowering my fees big time on circs and mods as much as my cost structure could take. I am curious if either ANACS or ICG would file suit over this move by ebay. Add dealers and individual owners of ANACS / ICG coins it could snowball into a large class action suit.

Regardless of what many want to believe, it's because of THOSE labels why eBay has decided to tighten their policy.

Neither those you mention are reputable or use any kind of known grading standard to grade the coins they holder and label.

SGS is the biggest scam of those mentioned, slapping a MS/PR70 label on anything.

I for one am glad that eBay is creating policy that would in a sense drop those basement graders.

However, I don't feel that ANACS or ICG should be placed in that group, since essentially, ANACS was the first of the TPGs.

Whatever happened to "We are just a venue"?

I have been wondering the same thing. However, when a corporation gets involved anything can be possible because now they have shareholders, stock price, etc. to worry about.

Case in point:

They do not allow firearms to be sold on their site. Why aren't gun collectors up in arms over that?

People can complain all they want; however, at the end of the day, eBay owns the site, and can make any policy they wish to.

Ebay can ban a particular CLASS of items, but not certain name brands. That would be like your local newspaper classified ads allowing only GM and Chrysler cars to be advertised, but if you wish to sell a Ford, you cannot mention the name of the manufacturer, the model, or the value!

Case in point:

Ebay can ban a particular CLASS of items, but not certain name brands. That would be like your local newspaper classified ads allowing only GM and Chrysler cars to be advertised, but if you wish to sell a Ford, you cannot mention the name of the manufacturer, the model, or the value!

Based on what? If I hypothetically owned my own auction house and provided buyer protection, why couldn't I exclude Brand X if Brand X is causing me to make a large number of payouts or exposing me to potential liability?

P.S. This is distinguishable from your counterexample.

Case in point:

eBay can do as they wish as they are a private enterprise. They've basically set the bar for TPGs to meet in order for items bearing the TPGs label/logo to be sold openly on eBay.

eBay can do as they wish as they are a private enterprise. They've basically set the bar for TPGs to meet in order for items bearing the TPGs label/logo to be sold openly on eBay.

Tell that to Microsoft. Or AT&T. Or IBM.