• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebays new rules on coins..WTF are they thinking?

52 posts in this topic

eBay can do as they wish as they are a private enterprise. They've basically set the bar for TPGs to meet in order for items bearing the TPGs label/logo to be sold openly on eBay.

Tell that to Microsoft. Or AT&T. Or IBM.

Which has nothing to do with eBay.

I think you're upset over this because those SEGS labels you sell in your store are bottom tier and will no longer be allowed on eBay.

eBay can do as they wish as they are a private enterprise. They've basically set the bar for TPGs to meet in order for items bearing the TPGs label/logo to be sold openly on eBay.

I think you're upset over this because those SEGS labels you sell in your store are bottom tier and will no longer be allowed on eBay.

Like eBay, AT&T, Microsoft, and IBM were all monopolies which were either broken up and/or fined for various predatory practices such as IBM's "lease only"

policy for it's punch card machines, AT&T's "Ma Bell" monopoly, and Microsoft's

various schemes to embed Internet Explorer into the operating systems to force out other software, and refusal to release basic source code to allow independent

companies to develop applications.

I don't have a store, I am a PCGS and NGC authorized dealer, SEGS slabs are not bottom tier, but have been restricted on eBay since 2008.

So you are wrong on everything, but what should you expect from an a-hole with a blank profile.

Like eBay, AT&T, Microsoft, and IBM were all monopolies which were either broken up and/or fined for various predatory practices such as IBM's "lease only"

policy for it's punch card machines, AT&T's "Ma Bell" monopoly, and Microsoft's

various schemes to embed Internet Explorer into the operating systems to force out other software, and refusal to release basic source code to allow independent

companies to develop applications.

I don't have a store, I am a PCGS and NGC authorized dealer, SEGS slabs are not bottom tier, but have been restricted on eBay since 2008.

So you are wrong on everything, but what should you expect from an a-hole with a blank profile.

First off, eBay is not a monopoly of anything. If they were, Heritage and Teletrade would be under their thumb and eBay would control the online auction/sales market and they don't.

Secondly, this is YOUR eBay store, or did you forget about having it. It's linked from YOUR website in your signature line:

Frank's Coins eBay Store

This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen for sale, and coming from a bottom tier slabber like SEGS, I'm not surprised at all:

75% FBL lol

Which basically means 0 FBL designation.

FYI, if that were slabbed by PCGS or NGC, it would not get the FBL and could be had for less than $300, and as low as $150, on eBay.

Anyone who pays what YOU claim for that Franklin must be the world's biggest horse's A_ _!

JSULL, your certainly entitled to your opinions, however I'd like to mention that you are disagreeing with one of the most astute and notable names in Numismatics, Larry Briggs.

JSULL, your certainly entitled to your opinions, however I'd like to mention that you are disagreeing with one of the most astute and notable names in Numismatics, Larry Briggs.

Really?

So you're saying Frank is really Larry Briggs?

Because that is who I am disagreeing with.

" The updated eBay Buyer Protection Policy goes into effect on June 19, 2012:

A provision has been added stipulating that in some cases we may refund part of the cost of an item to the buyer, and receive reimbursement from the seller, to cover differences between the item described and the item actually received, such as items received with small parts missing or minor repairs needed. Buyers may be asked to provide written proof from an authorized third party detailing the cost of such repairs. In these cases, we will not require the buyer to return the item to the seller."

OK, as a buyer I really appreciate this new rule, however if I were into selling I know that the seller's described condition and the buyer's perceived condition may differ greatly ... grading is an art after all. It seems that eBay's decision of partial refunds based on "an authorized third party" estimate is not well thought out for nusmismatics. Has anyone that sells contacted eBay concering this?

I just got tired of the insane rules that they dream up, like: 180 days of no sell buy activity before Ebay will close your account. Plus the PayPal only rule for item payment, thus generating another fat fee for themselves. I would like to see that one stand up in a Federal Appellate Court for restriction of free trade.

Ebay's entire stance and defense of their practices regarding coin transaction rules are wholly based on protecting themselves from liability by employing the "ignorant insufficiently_thoughtful_person, coin dealer" defense, claiming that their ignorance of coin condition and grading is their defense from taking responsibility for what they sell and, oh BTW, making much money in fees at two levels (selling and PayPal fees) from their professed ignorance.

Oldtrader3,

180 days? lol My account was inactive for years and they didn't close it.

I do agree their fees are high and the "defense of the ignorant buyer" statements above. That being said, you do (digitally) sign a voluntary contract with eBay that binds you to their rules if you want to use their service. If you disagree do what MaryB did above and walk away ... there are other options out there...

Oldtrader3,

180 days? lol My account was inactive for years and they didn't close it.

I've also had an inactive account for many years and it remains open to this day.

The point is interesting though ... maybe I should place a bid with the account just in case! hm

Actually, I joined Ebay about 25 years ago and most of their silly rules that they are laying on me now, did not exist now, nor did PayPal.

Ebay has added ANACS and ICG to their list of acceptable TPGs.

I received this message from Ebay today.

Just a quick reminder that a few changes will take effect on May 31 that are designed to improve buyer confidence and sales in the Coins category. We also want to notify you that since we announced these changes in April, two more companies have met our standards for grading coins-giving you more companies to choose from.

Update your Coins listings now to comply with the new policy.

Starting on May 31, only listings for coins that have been graded by one of the following companies may include a numeric grade in their listing title or item description:

Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC)

Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS)

American Numismatic Association Certification Services (ANACS)

Independent Coin Graders (ICG)

Coins that haven't been graded by one of these companies will be considered raw.

"Ebay has added ANACS and ICG to their list of acceptable TPGs. ... Starting on May 31, only listings for coins that have been graded by one of the following companies may include a numeric grade in their listing title or item description:

Coins that haven't been graded by one of these companies will be considered raw.

OK, this was a good move that I believe most will agree upon. Thanks for the update, Mark. (especially since I have a few IGC ancients I want to sell :) )

Ok, Ebay is Ebay, but why keep increasing fee's??? I work for a county municipality ad have not received a raise in 5 YEARS due to economic conditions....Yes I choose to stay with the county but am still young enough to leave.

My dream is to sell and buy coins but it seems that the cards are stacked against me in almost every way possible.

Five years ago I could make a profit on Ebay but now, well it is getting harder and harder.

Sincerely,

Your average Working Class.....

Ebay has added ANACS and ICG to their list of acceptable TPGs.

I received this message from Ebay today.

Just a quick reminder that a few changes will take effect on May 31 that are designed to improve buyer confidence and sales in the Coins category. We also want to notify you that since we announced these changes in April, two more companies have met our standards for grading coins-giving you more companies to choose from.

Update your Coins listings now to comply with the new policy.

Starting on May 31, only listings for coins that have been graded by one of the following companies may include a numeric grade in their listing title or item description:

Gee Frank, there goes the monopoly conspiracy!

"Senior Moment" memory lapse, Condor. I really could not precisely recall when I joined and don't have the account active to check. I have been ill for over a month and as a result, have not been posting much. Illness trumps memory this time.

I have every intention of listing coins with the visible photo being of the slab front with more detailed photos inside the listing. Just let the slab speak for itself.

It is noted that, during the course of entangling myself from Ebay membership, there are a couple of interesting factoids that I have uncovered:

1. Ebay has over 1400 complaints against them in the past 11 years to the BBB (Better Business Bureau). Yet they still have an "A+" business rating with BBB despite this high complaint number. What level of compliant performance does it take to get a "C" rating, I wonder?

2. Ebay will allow you to "cancel your membership is less than 180 days" if you threaten them with legal action. So, as usual, their stupid rules are only for their own convenience and do not represent the actual ability of their organization to respond and do as asked if pushed by a legal entity.

3. Ebay froze my account so that I was unable to use and then confiscated my $12.00 in Ebay Bucks (this smacks of simple theft to me), which I had accumulated in the past 3 months, with no explanation. This was purely the "punishment of a bad child" maneuver on their part to try and force me to go with their rules. It is worth $12.00 to get rid of them.

It took me six weeks of filing and legal followup by the Washington Attorney General's Office and BBB to get this behemoth and unresponsive organization to do the right thing by cancelling my membership in a just few days which is all that I asked for in the first place!

Don't let Ebay push you around with their (largely) phony rules which they make up as they go in order to intimidate people. Fight back and do not be afraid to take them to whichever regulatory agency will make them behave as a reasonable corporate citizen.

They still did not address my main charge of overgraded, raw, coin sales and counterfeit fraud perpetration of coin sales for profit and the giant fees generated from thier corporate power base through deceptive practices. However, since I am not a lawyer, I doubt that I will ever get them to admit their complicity in fraud but at least I am rid of them!.

Oldtrader3