• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Morgan

16 posts in this topic

The luster is there, I still haven't been able to get it in pictures consistently Ignoring that what would you grade it?. Added 2 pictures taken in sunlight.

Altered surface

The luster is there, I still haven't been able to get it in pictures consistently Ignoring that what would you grade it?.

I would say AU, the details do not look sharp at all, for example look at the breast feathrs and the leaves below the eagle, just looks worn, possibly by chemicals.

EDIT: OK you posted the second pictures while I was writing the first part. It's night and day the pictures.

I would now say MS62 but the spots on Liberties cheek are detractors.

Ok your second set of Pictures look better but I still think the coin is only Au 58 .

Hard to tell if it has been cleaned or not from the second set of photos.

It may be AU, but my interpretation of the images leads me to believe it is absolutely, without question damaged. Look at the ends of the wreath on the reverse and you can see concentrated scratches.

This date is, unfortunately, the ugly stepdaughter of the Morgan family! They poorly struck way to many, with modified dies, sloppy die preparation practices and low relief. There are certainly an opportunities on these 1921 Morgans but only with select branch mint coins and only if they are spectacular!

It may be AU, but my interpretation of the images leads me to believe it is absolutely, without question damaged. Look at the ends of the wreath on the reverse and you can see concentrated scratches.

Yes and there are also some on the cheek.