• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Telemarketers

30 posts in this topic

Does anyone here receive calls from this company ??

http://www.topshelfselections.net/

They have been calling me every month for over a year .

Naturally my request to stop calling and put me on their do not call list is ignored. You can actually sue these bone heads :

http://www.ucan.org/telecommunications/landline/how_to_sue_telemarketers

I would love to find out who sold my name and number to these bone heads. I think I get at least 4 calls a month from other coin peddlers as well.

I know exactly what you mean. I had some random telemarketer call me a couple a months ago and asked if I still bought gold coins. This was odd because I have never dealt with such a company in the past, and for security reasons, I was concerned.

I know exactly what you mean. I had some random telemarketer call me a couple a months ago and asked if I still bought gold coins. This was odd because I have never dealt with such a company in the past, and for security reasons, I was concerned.

When they call I tell them I sold all my coins and to stop calling me . But you know they dont care and keep on calling.

There are several large, very private companies that aggregate personal information. They then process the stuff into "affinity lists" that are sold to slime mold for telephone sales and other purposes designed to part you and your hard-earned money.

There is no quality check for these data and absolutely no rules. There is no requirement that you will have any chance to examine and correct your information, or have it deleted. They sell your information to any business that will pay – including front companies for organized crime and extra-national crooks. This is the real “Big Brother” – no rules, no restrictions, no accountability no nothin’.

When I was very young, I worked briefly for a company called Silver Dollar Collector's Club. Company advertised in lots of different men's type magazines like Popular Mechanics, etc. and was owned by a member of PNG. The company was total slime and ran a phone bank that called persons from lists they had purchased. I never made a sale because, A. I was a lousy salesperson, and B. I hated to shaft my fellow collector. Checked the PNG website a while back and noted that the Owner was no longer listed as a member. this company was active in the 80's. YUCK!!!!

Malcolm

On the Do Not Call List, there is a place to register your number and also to report any robot call made to your phone. It is now against the law and the FTC is pushing it to stop this. I have stoppped about a dozen because one actually got a CC# from my wife. I filed charges against that one and called him back, then the Attorney General and then called the Police. He refunded our money after the Police called him. because he has a criminal record and because he threatened me on the phone and I asked to press charges.

No tolerance at this home!

On the Do Not Call List, there is a place to register your number and also to report any robot call made to your phone. It is now against the law and the FTC is pushing it to stop this. I have stoppped about a dozen because one actually got a CC# from my wife. I filed charges against that one and called him back, then the Attorney General and then called the Police. He refunded our money after the Police called him. because he has a criminal record and because he threatened me on the phone and I asked to press charges.

I report them every time they call , but they still call. I will start to sue these a holes .

I report them every time they call , but they still call. I will start to sue these a holes .

I am retired lawenforcement and this is how we handeled it here. First advise them on the phone that you have placed them on the no call list( place them on the list), then send a registered letterto their address advising the same and to stop calling. If they call back after notification notify the people (the agency) that runs the no call list and advise them that the calls are continuing. They can then be fined for every individual call made to you after notification.

Wheat

I no longer maintain a home phone.

I don't give out my cell phone number, it comes of as rude sometimes like at checkout registers but I tell them straight to the face that that isn't any of their business.

For the past couple years it's been very peaceful.

I did have to pay $15 a couple years ago though to change my number because one of the guys at work gave my number out to the entire office and I started getting phone calls about work issues on weekends and evenings. It took about 3 calls and I just decided to stop in at the cell phone store and have it changed. 3 minutes, $15 and back to peace and quiet. :cloud9:

The fine, payable to the victim, is $100 per call, but it's difficult to catch the slime mold.

You could also introduce the tele-slime to your handy canned air horn -- or a screeching 2 yr old.... :)

I've told a telemarketer who was calling (asking for a female person who I had no clue who she was) that she would be right with him and to just hang on for a moment while she came to the phone. I sat the phone down, and went back to watching tv, 10 minutes later I picked the phone back up thinking he'd hung up and listened in because there was no annoying beep beep beep and heard the telemarketer say to his co-worker.. "Man, this chick is taking FOrever!" I hung up and he promptly called back at which point I said that she was no longer with us. :D

it comes of as rude sometimes like at checkout registers but I tell them straight to the face that that isn't any of their business.

I don't like to be rude so I happily give them the phone number.....of either the local police dept or the county sheriff dept.

I can't believe some of these responses. I just say "not interested" and then hand up.

(thumbs u

It's important to remember that the person calling you is just doing their job, and if they had the ability to find a better one they probably would. No sense punishing the caller, when it's really the company at fault.

I can't believe some of these responses. I just say "not interested" and then hand up.

(thumbs u

It's important to remember that the person calling you is just doing their job, and if they had the ability to find a better one they probably would. No sense punishing the caller, when it's really the company at fault.

Many are handicapped is this is one of the few jobs they can do. Blowing a horn in their ear or putting them on hold shows a total lack of maturity and is mean spirited.

(thumbs u

Many are handicapped is this is one of the few jobs they can do. Blowing a horn in their ear or putting them on hold shows a total lack of maturity and is mean spirited.

While blowing a horn in their ear might be mean, I don't feel putting them on hold is. They are wasting my time and interrupting me during my supper meal. Putting them on hold isn't mean to the person who called me (they get paid regardless), but the company they are calling for suffers slightly. I think you should refrain from calling people names on a message board as I feel that is mean spirited and very immature.

i love telemarketers

if i happen to be home and have some down time

usually after talking with me for about 5-8 minutes

THEY NEVER CALL ME BACK

Putting them on hold isn't mean to the person who called me (they get paid regardless),

But often part, sometimes a significant part, of their pay is based on commission. The more they sell the more they make. And if their sales aren't up to company goals/standards, they get fired for someone more productive.

For me the answer to telemarketers was caller ID and an answering machine. We have a telephone near the kitchen table, another next to the chair I sit in while watching TV, and another next to my desk. When the phone rings, I simply look at the caller ID and if it is an 800 number or unknown, I let the machine do the talking and ignore it. Telemarketers never leave a message and if it is an important message, I can pick up the phone or call them back. Very peaceful now.

There are several large, very private companies that aggregate personal information. They then process the stuff into "affinity lists" that are sold to slime mold for telephone sales and other purposes designed to part you and your hard-earned money.

There is no quality check for these data and absolutely no rules. There is no requirement that you will have any chance to examine and correct your information, or have it deleted. They sell your information to any business that will pay – including front companies for organized crime and extra-national crooks. This is the real “Big Brother” – no rules, no restrictions, no accountability no nothin’.

yes but what if I'm on the DNC list? I've gotten some calls from them too, the reason I'm here is because this thread comes up when you google up their company name... they refuse to tell me how they got my number, I've reported them to ftc.gov and to whycall.me but they keep pestering me...

what can we do?

The DNC does not work!! I registered years ago and I still get bombarded with the new scams.. Ive filed complaints with the DNC site and not a darn thing happens..

The only thing to do is... dont answer the phone.. thats all you can do. Sad but true.

Does anyone here receive calls from this company ??

http://www.topshelfselections.net/

They have been calling me every month for over a year .

Naturally my request to stop calling and put me on their do not call list is ignored. You can actually sue these bone heads :

http://www.ucan.org/telecommunications/landline/how_to_sue_telemarketers

I would love to find out who sold my name and number to these bone heads. I think I get at least 4 calls a month from other coin peddlers as well.

Any company you do business with compiles your contact info on a list and sells it to other companies for marketing purpose.

The U.S. Mint does it, as well as the IRS.

ace: no recourse at all unless you can use the DNC regulations - but you have to identify who to go after.

All attempts to control collection and sale of your personal information, or let you correct errors have been opposed by R-persons in states and Congress. Objections are to even talking about controlling these predatory perverts.

For me the answer to telemarketers was caller ID and an answering machine. We have a telephone near the kitchen table, another next to the chair I sit in while watching TV, and another next to my desk. When the phone rings, I simply look at the caller ID and if it is an 800 number or unknown, I let the machine do the talking and ignore it. Telemarketers never leave a message and if it is an important message, I can pick up the phone or call them back. Very peaceful now.
ditto, i do the same

I tried this once and it seemed to work.

I got a call last summer from a telemarketing firm, and their caller ID was not familiar to me to when I answered the phone, I pretended I was a telemarketer myself.

The poor schmuck at the other end of the line, had no idea what to do, and sounded very confused.

I haven't received any phone calls from them since.

Since signing up to the DNC registry all I seem to get are charitable calls. I'll interrupt the person reading their -script and ask for their name and home phone number, After being told that they won't give me that information I tell them, "I only wanted to call you at home to solicit for my favorite charity, I thought we might be able to help each other."

I get telemarketimg calls but none are coin-related and so they are not from the company that has been bothering you. I can understand your frustration.