• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 10,000th Post Giveaway Contest!!!!!!!

65 posts in this topic

Well, after being here for a bit over 6 years, I've reached 10,000 posts. That's a lot of learning, sharing, educating, being educated, growing, making friends (and enemies), and enjoying this hobby. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here, and I can say for certain that I have grown as a collector, and as a person, from my time here.

So, as a thank you to this community, I am hosting a giveaway contest. All you have to do is post your favorite coin, and tell us why it is your favorite. The giveaway will run through next Monday, April 30 (so as to give everyone plenty of time to enter). There will be two prizes, shown below. The first is graded MS-62, the second is MS-63PL.

125150.jpg.c11147c254e4b08caf3707544f1fbb44.jpg

125151.jpg.70188f4dbeaebe6e3ae2ddab53051b53.jpg

125152.jpg.e9a5ce721bcc17f8ce251929e2c69ec2.jpg

125153.jpg.a72db99b1ee002f762eb3f120ea87357.jpg

Congrats on making it to 10,000 posts and thanks for the contest.

This is my current favorite. It filled the final spot in my Whitman of Canadian 50 cent coins and is, numismatically, the most important coin in my collection. I LOVE everything about this coin and it makes me happy.

125154.jpg.53ba1d8441d404632103b59ebbe9093e.jpg

125155.jpg.10c51175c3cc319fa99a1e93dd8d324f.jpg

Hi mate and well done on the 10,000 I am sure i well get there one day ..

this is mine .. well it is not a coin but it is special because of this forum as it was the first one i sent into NGC after all the good advice on this forum about it and it also was sent over the pond to a forum member who took these stunning pictures for me free of charge .. it is now graded MEDAL PF 65 (which i think is a little low) it needs a star :grin: .. or a CAC label :grin:

wcgmo-2.jpg

wcgmr.jpg

wcgnc.jpg

Really cool physics. I have learned a lot from you over the years.

My favorite coin changes all the time. I'm back to this one.

Image_0427-1.jpg

Image_0430.jpg

I have told this story a few years back, so hopefully it will not bore anyone. In 1958, I was 10 years old and my favorite Uncle Schley came to visit and gave me

a shiny new 1880 O Morgan Dollar. God, was it a beautiful thing to behold. It was contained in a small envelope that looked like it was made just for that coin. I kept it in my top dresser drawer until my brother took our Dad's coin collection to school one day and spent them at a local store, buying friends and himself junk.

My Dad later got a very few pieces back and never collected coins again. My uncle came again and asked if I still had the Morgan and said that he had better keep it for me to protect it(from my brother, I am sure). He did so and kept it in a black leather snap pouch for change that men carried at this time. He would show it to me anytime I wished. Unfortunately, Schley died on my 16th birthday and his evil wife destroyed his will and kept all his things hidden. I never spoke to her again. Fast forward to 2003 when my mother became caretaker for her cousin, Schley's daughter. When she died mother had to go through all of her things as executor and found the same little black leather pouch with snaps that Schley carried along with his pocket knife. Sure enough, open opening the pouch, there was the coin envelope containing a no longer so shiny 1880 O Morgan dollar. The envelope came apart but the damage had been done from the sulfur and various temperature changes it had endured. It was my first coin and quite possibly my introduction into preservation of silver coins. This 1880 O coin was and has been my favorite coin.

Thanks for listening.

Jim

1880OMorganSchleys-1.jpg

Congrat's on 10,000!! Looks like your a survivor!! :)

You've done alot here with your posts to help us all in learning about the hobby.

Here is my favorite because of all the research I've done and also for the history behind the coins in this series:

14003455_obv.jpg

Popped back on here to check for PMs this morning. I've been way too occupied with grad school lately to do anything coin-y, but I hope to one day get back in the saddle. For now, I'm about to head into the field for 2 months again. I mainly wanted to congratulate you on 10k!

Here's one of my favorites that I've managed to hang onto over the lean years. Every time I look at it I'm delighted by the surfaces. It's not a matte proof, but I've had people ask if it was.

001-0025-850.jpg

Congrats on your 10,000th Jason! It's been a pleasure and I'm sure many more. Thanks for the chance! I'm posting this 1/10th Eagle for two reasons. One is it's my first and only gold, and second because it was a special christmas gift from my late wife. It will always remain in my collection!!

2005tenthozgoldeagleobvrev.jpg

Congrats on your 10,000th post Jason. This is my favorite coin, which I posted recently in another thread; however, here's the story to go with it.

For my 8th grade graduation my grandparents bought me a complete set of IHCs. They were raw (no TPGs back then) and of low grade, a true everyman's set. The 1909-S was AG and, only later when my skills improved, did I realize that the 1877 was improperly cleaned. 20 years or so later, I sold the set and to honor my grandparents I used the proceeds to purchase one high-end example. While not the most expensive or highest grade coin in my collection, it holds a special place for me as a reminder of my grandparents who started me in coin collecting.

IHCv2-1-1.jpg

Congrats on making it to 10,000 posts and thanks for the contest.

This is my current favorite. It filled the final spot in my Whitman of Canadian 50 cent coins and is, numismatically, the most important coin in my collection. I LOVE everything about this coin and it makes me happy.

congrats on the 10,000 post physics. yes, this one is one of my favorates as well. the reverses are wonderful :)

IMG-5.jpgIMG_0002-3.jpg

I choose this particular coin for many reasons. First of all, I received this coin as a gift from Lordmarcoven as a prize in one of his give-aways and it also has a bit of history. Lordmarcoven questions this Ducats authenticity, but why on earth would anyone go to all that trouble to counterfeit a Ducat? Interesting, but not proven. If nothing else, it's a nice heavy conversation piece.

Jason congrats on your 10,000 th post. That alone could be good or bad...good that you start and respond to topics here, bad in that maybe you spend too much of your time here. I should talk...I'm right behind you.

congrats on 10,000......................................... wow

thank you for letting me enter the contest!

since it can be numismatically related

here goes from my hometown

not scarce but not common and always available for sale and not in any kind of demand

but extremely historical

125179.jpg.187808692b83e1aa25ab3eb5a9af5aea.jpg

Congrats on reaching 10,000 posts Jason! (thumbs u

With your in depth articles and helpful posts, you have helped many forum members steer clear of problem coins and become better at the hobby they enjoy. For that I applaud you. :golfclap:

One of my favorites in my collection would be this 1794 cent.

IMG_1209.jpgIMG_1211.jpg

Note: I extracted this post of mine from the archives. This medal will always have a most special place in my collection.

For those of you who didn't know, Rey Brown loved to collect railroad-related coins and medals. Several years ago, I spotted such a medal offered at auction by one of my "French Connections" that was quite unusual. I thought of Rey, contacted him and he was definitely interested. Rather than have him take his chances in the auction, I contacted the seller and made him an offer before any bids were placed which he accepted. Upon receipt, I forwarded it along to Rey.

The medal definitely needed some TLC. I took some photos (albeit not too good) of it before sending it along. Later on, Rey started a thread asking for advice on how to clean it. I believe it was Hoot who suggested that he give it a good soak in virgin olive oil. Anyway, I'm posting photos of the before (mine) and after (Rey's) so you can see this medal once again.

After Rey passed last year, I mentioned to Bobby (bsshog40) that I really wished that I could buy the medal from his estate as a token of remembrance. Bobby was kind enough to get in touch with Rey's girlfriend, Donna, and she refused to sell it to me. Instead, she wanted me to have it as a gift. I received the medal yesterday with a note enclosed. It read, in part, "It's my pleasure to give this medal to you. I know in my heart Reynolds would have wanted you to have it. Enjoy & take care, Donna"

There is no indication on the medal who designed it or whether it was struck at the Paris Mint or a private mint. I wish I knew. It appears to be either bronze or copper, 50mm and weighs 63.9gms.

I want to thank Bobby for his help, and I will be forever indebted to Donna for her kind gesture.

125213.jpg.25613827f6465c4170ff10b394ccd86e.jpg

125214.jpg.3272c95a34e6d90d3d4915771664ce59.jpg

125215.jpg.07fa314fd0c371cf5a4295dba6a35b36.jpg

125216.jpg.345501e1536ee9a604c11a66c2416281.jpg

Hey Physics Fan,

My favorite coin holds that distinction because it is the coin that most exemplifies, in my collection, the tie between love of History and love of Numismatics. The coin is the 1842-O Seated Liberty Half. This coin was recovered from the SS Republic, a Steam Powered Paddle Wheeler lost on the way from New York to New Orleans, shortly after the end of the Civil War. Oddly enough, this same ship was used by the Confederate Navy as a blockade runner using the name CSS Tennessee. The ship sank in a storm off the coast of Georgia and sat on the bottom, with its treasure of silver and gold coins until 2003. I feel honored and even a little awed to own such a treasure. Here is my historical beauty.

Malcolm

125234.jpg.70293d314799a835af58b0a8e00a76b7.jpg

Congratulations, Jason! I think it will take me 20 years to reach the same milestone since I don't have as much to say (nor the knowledge to share).

Like Chris, I've posted about my submission before. This Conder token is special to me because:

- it is such a "wild" numismatic design that is so unusual,

- it is in glorious condition for something this old, and

- it has a pedigree to the late Wayne Anderson who was the founder of the Conder Tokens Collector Club.

8.jpg

Congrats on 10,000 posts. After that much of a contribution I'm guessing you not only have learned a great deal but have taught us a few things on this interesting path we've chosen.

Here is my absolute favorite coin. To many it's a nothing deal but to me it means a lot. The Washington quarter contained in this Capitol Holder is one coin in a proof set I assembled back when I first began collecting. Each coin in the set was purchased at coin shows across the Midwest that I attended back in the 1980's. I was enamored with cameo coins initially but this one had something extra, toning.

The lesson this taught me was the beauty that nature added through time and circumstances. Through the years I've obtained more than a few other "toners" but they never cease to amaze me. There's just something very special about the effects of time on a coin just as there's something special about the effects of time on life itself.

I will keep this set all my days.

010-4.jpg

Congrats :)

Here's mine....the reason it's the favorite is because it has history, it has a unique look due to the toning, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg to purchase (just 4 toes on one foot :) ).

It also has a bit of the Mark Feld pedigree as he was the person to find it for me.

16017209.jpg

Congrats on reaching 10,000 posts Jason! (thumbs u

With your in depth articles and helpful posts, you have helped many forum members steer clear of problem coins and become better at the hobby they enjoy. For that I applaud you. :golfclap:

One of my favorites in my collection would be this 1794 cent.

IMG_1209.jpgIMG_1211.jpg

It occured to me that I forgot to explain why this was my favorite coin lol

This is the first 18th century coin that I ever laid eyes on. I saw it at a local dealers shop and immediately became enchanted with it. I saved up for a while to buy it. Me and this dealer became good friends over the years and a little while back he retired. I miss that shop.

Congratulations on your 10,000th post.

Although this is a new purchase for me, it's a favorite in my collection because it's my first gold coin. I love gold. I hope to spend my retiring years searching for gold coins underwater. This is the sellers pic. I have not had very good luck imaging coins myself.

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

Congratulations on 10,000 posts. That is a lot of writing :) This coin filled the last spot in the proof set I built to honor my grandfather. It took me 7 years to find one that was both suitable and affordable. Of course, the longer I waited the larger the bank grew so when it finally surfaced I was able to jump on it. But, and there is always a but ;) as fate would have it approximately 8 months after I bought this coin Mark Feld had one on his site that was just as nice and a little cheaper:( Timing is everything.

DSC06748.jpg

Congratz on the post and good luck to everyone. I don't have hardly any coins imaged, maybe I will post one before the time limit!

Congratulations on your 10,000th post, and thank you for the contributions that you have made to this forum. I have found your posts to be highly informative and educational. You are also responsible for rekindling my interest in proof-like type coinage.

With regards to my favorite coin, I cannot decide between the two following coins. I like both of them because I am fascinated with the science behind toning, and both of the following coins demonstrate eye appealing (in my opinion), bright colored toning that I am fond of. I also like both because I am fascinated with the unusual/difficult to find (or unique) pieces, and both of these coins come from series where toned specimens, much less nicely toned specimens, are difficult to find.

1924 NGC MS63 St. Gaudens Double Eagle

44487-1.jpg

44487-2.jpg

1923 NGC MS63 * Peace Dollar

Consignments59113.jpg

Consignments59111.jpg