• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade of the Barber Quarter!

25 posts in this topic

hm...its actually in a MS holder.

I never try to guess what's on the holder. I only attempt to guess what I would grade the coin with the pictures shown. The pictures show what I interpret very clearly as an AU coin.

I would say AU58 or MS63

I would need to have in hand and a loupe to see if the darker areas on higher spots is rub, dirt or toning - which I can not do with these pics

I probably wouldn't pay more tham 60 money with the dark spot by star 5 and in the cap - unless I felt there was so much luster, I could have NCS clean it up and give me a 64 or higher

I may think differently if I collected this series and realized how rare this year was in this grade

MS63

Can you explain your reasoning for this? What are you seeing in this picture that indicates an MS coin?

I will explain my reasoning - muted luster on the obverse indicates rub, and the high point discoloration on all high points seems to be wear (obverse and reverse). I agree the coin looks nice, but I cannot call it MS from these pictures.

AU-53. This one was too easy, next time give us a challenge ;)

AU 53 ? I could see AU 58 as a guess but not 53 – way too low.

Ok knowing that it is MS I give it an MS 62.

Just a quick note. The only reason I bought this is because it's in a doily holder ;)

I have a MS65 in my collection from the Dale Friend collection.

I agree with Bruce and Mark...MS63 or so.

What could make a difference here you can't see? Hairlines could bring it down to MS62. Rub? Could be an AU58.

It's just too difficult with a photo when luster or certain marks that depend on the angle of lighting.

The term "guess" is always appropriate in these threads. :)

jom

The images appear a bit overexposed, but the coin doesn't have enough wear to warrant the low end AU guesses that I have seen in some posts, in my opinion. Also, although it has been stated that the coin is in an MS holder, I can see how someone would go with high end AU. Given the limitations of the images, I would go anywhere from a screaming AU58 to MS63 with a most likely guess of MS62.

Interestingly, I have a Barber half dollar in an old holder and it is graded AU58. It is one coin that I do not believe actually saw any circulation, but at the same time have a hard time calling MS. The coin received a gold sticker at CAC, which of course infers at least an MS60 grade in their opinion. My recollection of the discussion of that coin makes me believe they think it MS62/63. The reason I bring up this coin is that it has a look that is very similar to the quarter in this thread. The image is below-

BTBI1909P58.jpg

Tom, while your coin is also incredibly attractive, I would never call that MS. It might be only cabinet friction and the coin never saw circulation, but I don't care - that looks like wear on the high points. Not a bad thing at all, that's just what it is. Of course, I don't have either coin in hand to look at, and my opinion may be totally different in hand - but based solely on the pictures, I would call that AU.

I used to see quite a few of these Barber halves graded as "commercial Unc's" at shows in the early 1980's (before PCGS) when there seemed to be a large pent up demand for this material among Barber collectors. It is easy to see why.

They disappeared fast and became really price dynamic for awhile until the supply which was never large, dried right up. There was a huge demand even then, for nice pieces like the one Tom has.

I have to agree that I don't think my half dollar is MS, yet I don't think it circulated to the point of having wear, either. It seems nicer than what an AU58 should be, but isn't MS.

This quarter is in a MS63 holder! Like I said, bought only due to the holder.

What I interpreted as friction on the high points must have been dark toning. I would trust your in hand assessment better than mine based on internet images.

MS63

Can you explain your reasoning for this? What are you seeing in this picture that indicates an MS coin?

I will explain my reasoning - muted luster on the obverse indicates rub, and the high point discoloration on all high points seems to be wear (obverse and reverse). I agree the coin looks nice, but I cannot call it MS from these pictures.

The coin looked as if it was fully lustrous and free of contact marks. While not always the case, those are typically signs of an uncirculated example. I also took into consideration that dirty and/or toned and/or discolored areas on a coin can appear to be wear.

So, while a high AU grade wouldn't have surprised me, my gut told me to go with a guess of MS63.