• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 quarter opinion wanted

13 posts in this topic

I am considering putting an offer on this but would like to hear others opinions. I will put my thought out there first. I like the color of the coin and really like the details. The dislikes are the hit below libertys shield and the rim at about 11 oclock (not sure what to call it). Anyway, let em fly.

these are the sellers pictures

1853quarter.jpg

from the images, it looks like the rev has some nice iridescence.I don't get a "true" impression of the obv. color from the images. I am, however, bothered by the significant dig on the rock, and the blotchy toning around the rims, although I might change my mind if I saw it in person. It does look like an original, vf example that did its part in commerce. If you like it and can negotiate a fair price, why not?

Run Forest Run... That example has been molested in so many ways they are unspeakable :sick:

Save your money for a better issue free example as it's far easier to get into a problem coin then it is to get out.

The coin looks cleaned and unoriginal to me, including the color. You can do much better.

And, since you didn't seem to be aware of its problems, I would suggest buying an NGC or PCGS graded example.

I wouldn't touch that coin with a 10 foot pole. Run away, quickly.

Mark's advice here is really good - if you couldn't tell that coin has at least a half dozen problems, you need to stick to NGC or PCGS coins only.

That coin has been abused mightily. It has been cleaned and likely intentionally retoned. If not intentionally retoned, then the secondary toning is quite odd and a red flag.

The rim mark at 11:30 on the obverse and similarly 5:30 on reverse suggest it is ex-jewelry in addition to the other problems.

That coin has been abused mightily. It has been cleaned and likely intentionally retoned. If not intentionally retoned, then the secondary toning is quite odd and a red flag.

IMHO it's been re-toned intentionally as the surface conditions are so far gone abuse wise that there's nothing left for any natural secondary toning progression to occur.

I wouldn't touch that coin with a 10 foot pole. Run away, quickly.

Mark's advice here is really good - if you couldn't tell that coin has at least a half dozen problems, you need to stick to NGC or PCGS coins only.

I think someone has already touched it with a 10 foot pole. that's where all the gouges and bruses came from. Drop it back in the junk box and run.

wheat