• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finished my Whitman.

28 posts in this topic

A couple of years ago I bought a Whitman folder for Canadian Half Dollars 1937-1960. it was half full and I paid $100 NZD for it.

Well, today I have officially filled it!! There are a few I would like to upgrade but for now I am a very happy camper.

My last coin was the 1948. It has a mintage of 37,784 and is one of the most sought after Canadin coins.

Mine is in an NGC holder and is graded at XF45. It was a one bid wonder from Great Collections and I was very surprised to get it. It will remain in the holder but it's spiritual home is the one empty hole in the Whitman.

124609.jpg.059e5b1d0189b273e288eb47333d080d.jpg

124610.jpg.a9388d1c38b3578f4f434e653b14d0b4.jpg

124611.jpg.9f07d955f339bd036e9c9f00ec724347.jpg

124612.jpg.5eb3067617c19ebba6ed9f61fd431dde.jpg

124613.jpg.7a56944ad9a4814856d72405238fb3c2.jpg

Nice (thumbs u

Thats some good work John.

People don't realise how hard and expensive it is to buy coins when you come from the other side of the world :)

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I know but that is what is on the front of the folder.

After years of complaints from Canadian collectors about the terms NICKEL, DIME, QUARTER and HALF DOLLAR on its folders for Canadian coins, Whitman finally changed the titles around 1970 to read FIVE CENTS, TEN CENTS, TWENTY-FIVE CENTS and FIFTY CENTS, respectively. The Eighth Edition of Whitman folders (1967-78) is transitional for all of these titles.

nice set you have there. i got one set and just about have a second one done. its worth it to hang on to it. what did the 48 half grade out at ? just wondering :)

The 48 is in an XF45 holder. It is one of the lowest priced 48's I have seen and I was at the right place at the right time.

nice set you have there. i got one set and just about have a second one done. its worth it to hang on to it. what did the 48 half grade out at ? just wondering :)

The 48 is in an XF45 holder. It is one of the lowest priced 48's I have seen and I was at the right place at the right time.

wtg and still a nice pick up :)

Yup even in lower grades it's a 4 figure coin. So for now I am content to stay with just the other 3 types of the 1947 that I have.

i believe that 1947 curved 7 maple leaf is expensive as well. im not sure of the price thou. that one id like to get along with the 48 canadian dollar. happy hunting all :)

OOOO a 1948 DOLLAR!!! Now that would be pretty.

Here is a little explanation for why the maple leaf was added...

1947 Canadian maple leaf coins

All the coins minted under the rule of King George VI bore the wording “GEORGIVS VI :G:REX IND:IMP” the abbreviation of the Latin phrase Dei Gratia Rex et Indiae Imperator which meant By the Grace of God, King and Emperor of India.

When India gained its independence from British rule on August 15, 1947, the wording ET IND:IMP” on Canadian coins had to be omitted and such change would take effect in the next year’s issue of coins.

But the 1948 coin dies were not readily available and during this time, there was a great demand for coins.

Production had to resume using the 1947 coin dies. A small maple leaf was added beside the 1947 mint date to indicate that it was actually minted in 1948. The 1947 Canadian maple leaf are not rare Canadian coins but they are very popular among coin collectors.