• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A souvenir from our favorite pawn shop …

28 posts in this topic

I recently returned from a trip to Las Vegas, and of course what trip there could be complete without a trip to the “World Famous” Gold and Silver Pawn Shop? Here was an item that my wife really liked so she bought it for me. The mintage is supposed to be limited to 1,000 pieces, not that that matters. (shrug)

TheOldManO.jpgTheOldManR.jpg

And here is a picture of the world's most famous pawn shop.

DSCN0280.jpg

That's awesome, Bill. My brother went there a few months ago on his honeymoon and brought me back a very overpriced NGC-graded silver eagle and receipt from the Pawn shop with the guys' signatures and stuff. It's cool.

The word was the stars were "on vacation" while we were there although one person claimed to have seen "Big Hoss" (Corry) out in the parking lot looking at a vehicle.

If you have not read License to Pawn by Rick Harrison, it's a quick but interesting read.

Back in the day....people wore hats like mine not only on Sundays son, but it was a common to be worn on just about any day of the week, now get back to work, your interrupting my nap.

Bill correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the pawn shop right next to a "15 minute marriages" kind of place?

No, there is no "marrage chaple" next to it. It has parking lots on both sides. Across the street from it on the right is a bright green building that claims to house “the oldest tattoo parlor in Los Vegas.” This is not a neighborhood that you would like visit at night. Not far away are the “Bad Boys” and “The Godfather’s” bail bonds man establishments. They look prosperous so I image that they get quite a bit of business.

Rick Harrison mentioned a "hotel of ill repute" that was across the street from the night window that was the source of some entertaining or disgusting activities depending upon your point of view. I gather from the book that working the night window was an alternately interesting, boring, revolting and sometimes frightening experience. There now seems to be a parking lot where the hotel was with the would-be government building Rick mentioned next to it that now has “for rent” signs on it.

I remember the hats from when I was a kid. My Grandfather wore a black fedora to work every day, on the commuter train in the 1940's and 1950's

Men wearing hats used to be very commonplace (and I don't mean baseball type caps). It has been said that it was President Kennedy that put an end to it.. He very seldom wore a hat and back then the President and First lady were often looked to as a fashion source. Kennedy didn't wear hats, so it became OK for other men not to wear them, and hats went out of style and has never really come back.

Men wearing hats used to be very commonplace (and I don't mean baseball type caps). It has been said that it was President Kennedy that put an end to it.. He very seldom wore a hat and back then the President and First lady were often looked to as a fashion source. Kennedy didn't wear hats, so it became OK for other men not to wear them, and hats went out of style and has never really come back.

He didn't want to mess up his hair?

After seeing how the kids of today dress, I would love to go back to the 1940s dress standards. Suits, ties and hats on every man. Hair trimmed short and in good taste. Shoes clean with a nice shine.

I wonder if they have a 5 oz'er with Chumlee's face on it.

Nick

Probably in silver plated pot metal so you can get the total Chumlee experience when you find out it's worthless.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Kennedy didn't want to mess up his "accented hair."

After seeing how the kids of today dress, I would love to go back to the 1940s dress standards. Suits, ties and hats on every man. Hair trimmed short and in good taste. Shoes clean with a nice shine.

Here in Florida it would give me an excuse to wear my seersucker suit more often. My wife cringes everytime I bring it out, but I like it - what can I say? In general, I like the classic gentleman's look but I get probably equal amounts of criticism and appreciation when I do dress as such...oh well.

The first time I heard the phrase “hat head” was during the commentary by Noel Neil (Lois Lane) and Jack Larson (Jimmy Olson) for one of the early 1950s Superman episodes that was on the DVD set I own. They commented that George Reeves (Superman / Clark Kent) never seemed to have a "hat head" despite the fact that he often wore a hat in the series. I was big fan of that series when I a little kid, and I am still a big fan today.

“Hat head” refers to the ridge or indentation the hat forms in your hair when you take it off. President Kennedy was on of those lucky men who had a great head of hair who didn’t need a hat except for warmth. Interestingly enough Richard Nixon, who didn’t have great hair, also seldom wore a hat.

I agree with Ted Williams on this one. He hated ties, and so do I. To me they are like a noose.

I agree with Ted Williams on this one. He hated ties, and so do I. To me they are like a noose.

I work in a prison and have frequently been warned that inmates may use my tie as a noose to choke me...I wear it nonetheless.

hats.jpgsupermanII.jpg

Hats became part of a persons persona. My Grand Pa used to mow his yard wearing his fedora and he seemed naked when he'd take it off and wipe his brow with his red kerchief. Also, it was always most gentlemanly to tip your hat to a passing lady, it showed respect. I've been to funerals in the late 50's where men would walk into the funeral home, take off their hat and hold it by the brim in both hands as they gave their last respects.

Lots of famous actors wore hats, some notables, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Milton Berle, Robert Stack portraying Eliot Ness, Abbott & Costello the list goes on and on.

And pants that aren't falling down showing your underwear! I keep wanting to grab these young kids pants, hike them up where they belong, and staple them there!

I work in a prison and have frequently been warned that inmates may use my tie as a noose to choke me...I wear it nonetheless.

I wear a tie as part of my uniform but our ties are clipons so if someone grabs it, they pull away.