• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a coin you've owned for at least 20 years.

34 posts in this topic

With all the people out there (including me every now and then) flipping things fast and furious, there are some coins that just "talk" to you and you hold on to them for a long time. They don't have to be spectacular or anything... just a nice coin that you enjoy owning. Post a coin that you've owned for at least 20 years. For those of you that have only been collecting between 10 - 19 years, you can post a coin that you've held at least that long in your collection, but please mention approximately how long you've owned it. For those of you that have only been collecting for 1 - 9 years, please do NOT post a coin here (even if you think you're gonna' hold onto a given coin until they shovel dirt over you), as your coins have not been held long enough for the purposes of this thread.

I've owned this one since ~ 1990.

Morgan93PR65.jpg

VERY NICE COIN SKYMAN!

I only have one coin that I have had for more than 20 years...found it on the ground during spring runoff in Montana while in high school. It is not very impressive but it was free.

1878obv.jpg

My very first coin was a 1986 Statue of Liberty Proof dollar given to me on my first birthday. This is the only coin in my collection that meets your criteria - I am 26, and did not really start collecting until high school (I have been seriously collecting since I was 16, about ten years ago).

JPA1obverse.jpg

JPA1reverse.jpg

Coins I've owned for at least 20 years? That's only since 1992! :o The list of those is very long because I tend to hold coins that I like.

Here's one I've owned for over 40 years. I bought it circa 1966 when I went to New York City to attend the Interscholastic Press Association that was held at Columbia University. That’s a fancy way of saying I was the assistant editor of my high school newspaper and get a junket to take some classes. While I was there I went to Stacks’, which was located at the same spot on West 57th street and bought this 1901 $10 gold. It cost me something like $47.50 including the sales tax. Getting the piece slabbed 20 + years later added half again as much money as I have in it. NGC graded it MS-65.

190110O.jpg190110R.jpg

Got this from my Dad, Christmas 1978. Was in a cardboard 2x2 marked as Ch AU. NGC graded it MS 62 about 11 or 12 years ago.

100_1147.jpg

100_1148.jpg

I got this one from a friend and co-worker who was something of a pocket dealer as well as a mentor. Since he knew my fascination with toners he saved it for me. As I recall I paid no premium beyond it's actual value back in the early 80's.

057.jpg058.jpg

My grandfather died in December 1987. The year after, for my 9th birthday in 1988, my grandmother gave me a quart-sized jar of wheat pennies that my grandfather had amassed. Sometime after that, my grandmother went through his things and also found a small Tupperware container of various older and more unique coins.

For Christmas in 1988 or 1989 (I can't remember exactly), she let both me and one of my cousins choose one coin from the bunch -- any coin we wanted. For some reason, I had always loved copper, and at the age of 9 or 10, the only thing that stuck in my mind was how old this coin was. This 1835 half cent is the piece I chose. It's nothing special from a numismatic standpoint, but it has been in and will remain in my collection forever.

124160.jpg.eafede2358d80f6409330ee482feacd7.jpg

Got this one and many more from my great uncle when he passed away in the 80s. Have since sold the other coins (mostly low end, common date Morgans) but kept this one. Don't know much about it other than it is copper from the reign of Hadrian.

hadrianobv.jpg

hadrianrev.jpg

My very first coin was a 1986 Statue of Liberty Proof dollar given to me on my first birthday. This is the only coin in my collection that meets your criteria - I am 26, and did not really start collecting until high school (I have been seriously collecting since I was 16, about ten years ago).

Sorry but that is a very ordinary coin with little to no collector value outside of its intrinsic melt value.

Sorry but that is a very ordinary coin with little to no collector value outside of its intrinsic melt value.

So? What's your point? I do think the OP specified the coin did not have to be anything spectacular. Most of the coins posted thus far are not extraordinary coins - that wasn't the point of the thread.

Why insert negativity in a positive thread? What is accomplished by this?

So? What's your point? I do think the OP specified the coin did not have to be anything spectacular. Most of the coins posted thus far are not extraordinary coins - that wasn't the point of the thread.

I'm afraid you didn't get the "joke". It was personal it seems...which seems to be happening here more and more lately. It is getting more like ATS all of the time.

jom

Just stating my opinion. Anyone who posts their coins here, are subject to having them scrutinized, whether they asked for it or not.

Just stating my opinion. Anyone who posts their coins here, are subject to having them scrutinized, whether they asked for it or not.

It's even worse than that, I'm afraid. A 6 year old version of myself had no idea about condition of coins or preserving them. I opened up the plastic capsule and was mesmerized by the mirrors, and left fingerprints all over it.

I agree with HC. This is not ATS.

I like ALL the coins that have been posted so far, and the stories that go with them are fascinating. :applause:

Here's another one of mine. It's a rattler MS66FB. It's the first coin I ever bought specifically as a toner (~ 1989). While certainly nothing spectacular, I still just like the coin as a pleasant toner, and given it's "history" with me, I plan to hold on to this coin as long as possible.

1944-DMercObv_007.jpg

1944-DMercRev_005.jpg

I agree with HC. This is not ATS.

I like ALL the coins that have been posted so far, and the stories that go with them are fascinating. :applause:

(thumbs u

JPA1obverse.jpg

JPA1reverse.jpg

My first coin was a 1983 olympic silver dollar that was given to me by my father when I was born in july of that year.

True story:

When I was like 20 years old, I went through a bad phase and actually sold it to buy more important things, at the time. Well after I cleaned up, I actually started collecting again and walked into a local B&M and it was sitting on one of the shelves. I knew it was the one my father gave me because when I was younger I carved a mark on the original mint box. Needless to say, I HAD to buy it back!

I wil take pictures and post when I get home.

So technically I have owned this coin for over 20 years combined.

I will NEVER sell it again.

P.S. Is is not worth more than the melt value but to me, its priceless!

Nick

Loved reading about everyone's coins. I've only been collecting for about two years. I'll have to wait until 2030 to post in this thread. =)

I'm the same with Alan. See you in 2030

I agree, all coins shown and their stories are very cool! Rather poor form and downright rude to smear someone's coin that's special to them, because its collector value isn't out of reach for the average pocketbook.