• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thought process behind watching a buy now ..

22 posts in this topic

I understand keeping an WATCH on an auction style auction so you can snipe at the end but why would there be MULTIPLE watchers on a buy now item.

I first assumed it was because there were multiple items for sale at the same time and thus a watching of "all" - but if its the only thing of its type for auction ???

Thoughts ...

Maybe someone's considering the purchase, but not sure yet? I watch BINs all the time. Especially the 30 day ones that just relist automatically after it ends. Sometimes I don't have the cash at the moment, but might want it after pay day. Other times it's just so I can compare numerous listings from various sites without having to run a search every time.

Lots of reasons. =)

I do it often for a couple reasons:

1) I may not have the funds available to buy everything I want right "NOW", but I can keep track of items using a "watch" as if it were my wish-list. If the item sells before I get to buy it (or place an offer), then so be it.

2) A few regular sellers I purchase from have "sales". That is, they will have 10% off sales about once a month. If I add an item to my watch list, the sale items show up in red when they are on such sales.

3) If I find something that interests me but I want to think about it. It's easier to find it on my watch list, then to search all listings again.

BUT -- if I want something bad enough I'll just BIN and not add it to my list.

Do you think it's possible that other sellers are watching the results because they have an identical item and they want to see if it sells readily at that price? Just a guess.

Chris

That is exactly what I was going to say Chris. It helps me keep up on prices of coins I have and may want to sell if the price is right.

I watch when

1- I am short on cash and may buy later, especially if it does not sell as some buyers will relist with lower price or start auction

2- I think the price is so high, I can't believe anyone would buy it at that price

3- I have a similar item and am curious what it is worth and if this guy is going to get that price

Do you think it's possible that other sellers are watching the results because they have an identical item and they want to see if it sells readily at that price? Just a guess.

Chris

I do this on a regular basis. Also, as others have pointed out, it allows me to watch some items that I am debating whether or not I will ultimately commit to buying the coin.

I watch when

1- I am short on cash and may buy later, especially if it does not sell as some buyers will relist with lower price or start auction

2- I think the price is so high, I can't believe anyone would buy it at that price

3- I have a similar item and am curious what it is worth and if this guy is going to get that price

I watch BINs mostly for reason number 2 but also so I can find it quickly, if I decide to purchse it

I watch bins so I can find them again easily. In my case it pays to find a bin that the seller is willing to ship to NZ and then try to find an auction coin at a better price. Most of the time the auction coins rarely show up.

1) I may not have the funds available to buy everything I want right "NOW", but I can keep track of items using a "watch" as if it were my wish-list. If the item sells before I get to buy it (or place an offer), then so be it.

^ Me too. ^

In addition to all the various valid reasons stated above for a BIN being watched, there is a possible nefarious reason. The seller might have enlisted others (friends, family members, associates, etc.) to just watch an item or items, for no other reason than to help have the item appear on ebay as one of the items being most watched by others. It's extra advertising. Therefore, you might want to be a bit suspicious of the genuine popularity of any items displayed by ebay as among the most watched.

In addition to all the various valid reasons stated above for a BIN being watched, there is a possible nefarious reason. The seller might have enlisted others (friends, family members, associates, etc.) to just watch an item or items, for no other reason than to help have the item appear on ebay as one of the items being most watched by others. It's extra advertising. Therefore, you might want to be a bit suspicious of the genuine popularity of any items displayed by ebay as among the most watched.

I've been on eBay for several years, and I've never seen a "most watched" suggested coin. As far as I know the only person who can see the number of watchers is the seller. Maybe I've just overlooked this functionality as a buyer?

Basically what everyone else has said. I'll watch a bin if I have the same for sale to get an idea what it sells for, and also in case I don't have the money to see if it sells until I do.

Sometimes I will watch one while I am scanning through ebay because I may run across something else I want more. It is a heck of a lot easier to simply "watch" items as I go along, and then I've gone through everything I can go back to My eBay and then review the items of interest without having to find them again.

I do the same thing as Condor. When I used to shop Ebay, I would tag the BIN's so that I could come back and compare them with any others that I had found during a search in order to compare quality and price.

Chris

winner winner chicken dinner

Every single ebay item I look at has, along the very bottom of the page, after scrolling all the way down, usually five different pictured listings in a gallery format, labeled "See what other people are watching" and at various other times, after bidding, winning, or paying for an item, the most watched items are similarly shown. Now it could possibly be that your own ebay settings curtail those views, but they are generally available to most users, or rather I should say they are forced on us. And in some cases, I find myself thinking, who would ever decide to watch that piece of overpriced junk(?), and the answer might be that it is actually "shilled watching," a phrase I just invented this minute.

I've been on eBay for several years, and I've never seen a "most watched" suggested coin. As far as I know the only person who can see the number of watchers is the seller. Maybe I've just overlooked this functionality as a buyer?

Every single ebay item I look at has, along the very bottom of the page, after scrolling all the way down, usually five different pictured listings in a gallery format, labeled "See what other people are watching" and at various other times, after bidding, winning, or paying for an item, the most watched items are similarly shown. Now it could possibly be that your own ebay settings curtail those views, but they are generally available to most users, or rather I should say they are forced on us. And in some cases, I find myself thinking, who would ever decide to watch that piece of overpriced junk(?), and the answer might be that it is actually "shilled watching," a phrase I just invented this minute.

I see no such listings. I do see "You may also like" suggestions after I have purchased an item, but there is nothing at the bottom of listings I see except for possibly a counter which tells you how many times people have visited the page, not how many watchers there are. (shrug)

Of course, I NEVER use the "Best Match" sorting method in eBay, I only view "newly listed" or "ending soonest" items. I'm not sure why you're getting this spam-type information, but I sure don't.

i myself use watch on BIN to compare prices in one section. also if they take offers i will watch the item im interested in until i get response.

I put items on my watch list to buy or bid on later on or simply to track to see what they realized. There are many ebay coins I will track to see what they are going for relative to say the CDN there.

Many BIN items are model rr equipment or coin supplies / catakigs I may buy later from my i phone. I have an N scale layout in my study and bought a passenger car for like $26 not too long ago. It is ready to run (RTR), finely detailed, and comes with an interior all in 1 / 160 scale. The layout is on a 24-50" piece of scarp wood that had been in my garage for 20 years. I bought some Atlas code 65 ez track and added scenery and structures.

124330.jpg.87c923ad1ceb1a544236c1badda36caa.jpg

It is not unusual for me to put items on the ebay watch list when I have no intention or desire to bid or buy them. This is done to get a feel for what the market might pay for a particular coin in a particular grade or with a certain look. Placing the item on the watch list makes it easy to go back later on to see if it sold and for how much.