• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you guys make of this auction?

32 posts in this topic

Usually I don't like streaky toning, but this coin is attractive overall. I do think that the price was much too high. I wouldn't have expected the piece to sell for more than $1400 or so (on the high end). I have seen comparable toners sell for less.

Looks like a nice coin that pulled strong money. 5 years ago that would have been the norm....right now I believe the buyer overpaid in today's market but hey toners don't have a price guide so if a few folks see a coin that can't live without then expect fireworks. I bet the color is even more vibrant in hand and the textile doesn't hurt.

Looks like a nice coin that pulled strong money. 5 years ago that would have been the norm....right now I believe the buyer overpaid in today's market but hey toners don't have a price guide so if a few folks see a coin that can't live without then expect fireworks. I bought the color is even more vibrant in hand and the textile doesn't hurt.

I have made a couple of purchases and sold one coin through GC since learning of them a month ago.

They all looked better in hand.

I would say a couple of bidders viewed this coin in person. Still looks pricey but it is worth what some one will pay.

Usually I don't like streaky toning, but this coin is attractive overall. I do think that the price was much too high. I wouldn't have expected the piece to sell for more than $1400 or so (on the high end). I have seen comparable toners sell for less.

That's not streaky - that's textile toning. It is very rare, and considered very desirable. This is also a particularly attractive example of it.

That being said - that price is ridiculous.

Interesting responses..... Not the price I would expect to see at a greatcollections auction! I am so happy for Ian! With that said I thought it was more like a $3500-$4500 coin. Some might think I am crazy, but just a few months ago I seen a much less attractive textile toned morgan in NGC MS64* sell for $3000. I am far from a Morgan whiz, but in my opinion there are not many Textile toners with that type of eye appeal. Id also wager that it just might be the most attractive 1885 Textile toner. Anywho, I am sure better images will pop up sooner or later. If you were a betting man who do you think won it? Maybe Brandon? (shrug)

BTW anybody else notice a abnormal amount of 1885 textile toners have hit the market in the last few weeks? I have seen five all of them have newer similar serial numbers. And all of them were stunning!

Good to see GC bringing some good money on coins. Good for them.

Too much for the coin? Probably but I've been known to pay stupid money at times myself. Whatever floats your boat.

jom

No mention of the thumb print on the reverse? ;)

Im pretty much positive that not a thumb print on the reverse. I've seen that before on coins and it has been explained to me as being from the bag. Makes more sense than a fingerprint....to me anywayz

lol, that's a funny post brg. hopefully a few other posters picked up on your drift. (maybe it was a palm print or foot print)

Nick

Good to see GC bringing some good money on coins. Good for them.

Too much for the coin? Probably but I've been known to pay stupid money at times myself. Whatever floats your boat.

jom

+1... Nice to see GC get some traction with toners...

Im pretty much positive that not a thumb print on the reverse. I've seen that before on coins and it has been explained to me as being from the bag. Makes more sense than a fingerprint....to me anywayz

The "wink" was there for a reason -- based on a conversation in another thread recently. But, I'm just curious, if the fabric textile-toned the obverse, how was it that it also left parallel lines on the reverse? Based on the "schooling" I received in the other thread, it looks like a print of some sort to me. (shrug)

123666.jpg.0f91549447e5a6b390a325b566cb56a7.jpg

I see why you said it now lol

Well here is a picture of what I am talking about for you all. I think we can all agree that if it was a fingerprint than the toning would have breaks in it. I have never had the luxury of opening a bag myself so I cant explain it. But what ever it is.... It seems to sit on top of the toning.

Screenshot2012-03-11at112300PM.png

BTW anybody else notice a abnormal amount of 1885 textile toners have hit the market in the last few weeks? I have seen five all of them have newer similar serial numbers. And all of them were stunning!

Forgive my ignorance on this matter but what causes toning? Is it possible that people are causing this to happen intentionally?

To my knowledge they have not learned how to fake this type of toning. I was leaning more toward the possibility of a new bag being found

To my knowledge they have not learned how to fake this type of toning. I was leaning more toward the possibility of a new bag being found

Possible, but its more likely that some collector is dispersing his collection.

That appears to be a sensational coin and well worth a mighty premium. How much? I don't know, but I would pay strong money for it. ("Strong" is relative, of course, as I am far from rich.)

Interesting responses........ All I know is that I have never seen such an amazing Morgan. The coin in the auction had everything I have ever wanted in a Morgan and than some! I appreciate hearing all of your opinions.

Is it possible that people are causing this to happen intentionally?

That's opening up a HUGE can of worms that has been discussed many many times here. However, in this case, NO....not this coin.

BUT...that what you ask about is a huge problem in the coin market.

jom

Is it possible that people are causing this to happen intentionally?

That's opening up a HUGE can of worms that has been discussed many many times here. However, in this case, NO....not this coin.

BUT...that what you ask about is a huge problem in the coin market.

jom

Exactly why I like buying the textile toners! Well it helps that there beautiful too! :)

There is a man that has been doing toned dollars for over 30 years. Many toning collectors respect his opinion. After all he has seen more toned dollars than we can dream of. Heres what he had to say to me.

"Yes, spend too much on a few monsters. It takes a slightly warped mind to spend over two grand on a 65 that’s bid at $100, but what the heck…you only live once! Make them all look like that one."

Thats all I needed to hear....... :cloud9:

There is a man that has been doing toned dollars for over 30 years. Many toning collectors respect his opinion. After all he has seen more toned dollars than we can dream of. Heres what he had to say to me.

"Yes, spend too much on a few monsters. It takes a slightly warped mind to spend over two grand on a 65 that’s bid at $100, but what the heck…you only live once! Make them all look like that one."

Are you da guy who purchased it??

Are you da guy who purchased it??

Yes, actually I was lucky enough to obtain it. My wife has named it "Polka Dot Paradise". The money I used to purchase it came from a pot I had set aside for a particular Rainbow Toned St Gaudens....... I have caught the Morgan Toned Fever something fierce....... Keep your eyes peeled ;)