• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which 1940-D Jefferson Nickel Do You Prefer

Which 1940-D Jefferson Nickel do you like the best?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which 1940-D Jefferson Nickel do you like the best?

11 posts in this topic

Please vote for the 1940-D Jefferson Nickel shown below that you like the best and give your reasons why in your posts.

1) 1940-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 5FS

JN1940-DNGCMS675FS.jpg

2) 1940-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 6FS (Rainbow Toned)

JN1940-DNGCMS676FS.jpg

3) 1940-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 FS

JeffersonNickel1940-DNGCMS67FSwLabel.jpg

Thank you!

Boy you sure like to make decisions hard, no? :D

I chose the first one. I like the blast white original mint luster and clean surfaces as well as the sharp hair detail. All are very nice coins, bud!!!

CC

I choose number 3. Number 1 seems to have some roughness on the devices and more contact marks than the others. Number 2 has dark toning that isn't negative, but it doesn't add a lot for me personally. Specimen 3 is pleasant, and looks to be the best 67 in terms of the quality of the surfaces. It also has a nice strike.

1, 3, 2

It was close for me on the 1 and 3 but I liked the original look and luster of #1, plus the steps look cleaner to me than in number 3.

Well, I'll say first off that number 3 is boring, and shouldn't even be a choice. Its easy to rule that one out.

Number one has a fantastic strike and blazing luster, and I like the subtle colors around the rims.

But for me, the rainbow colors of #2 outweigh the others. What I would really like would be the colors of the second one with the luster of the first one. I also don't see on the second one any of that pesky "planchet roughness" nonsense that doesn't seem to bother you. Its probably there, but the pictures are too small.

Of course, whether you choose #1 or #2 really would depend on how it matches with the rest of your set. Both are excellent coins.

Normally, I'm a fool for toning, but I chose #1. I like the luster and what I think I see of hints of purple on the reverse.

I like #1 the best. The luster is booming, it appears to have a bit of a "steely blue" hue to it, and the strike is superb.

While #2 exhibits color, I don't personally find the colors to be that attractive. I like the peripheral ring of colors, but the center "tone" looks dull on both sides. In addition, there is a spot on Jefferson's cheek (just behind his smile) and there are two splotches on the reverse that I don't care for (one just to the right of the center peak of the columned facade, and the 2nd on the left side above the "O" of MONTICELLO near the roof line).

#3 is actually my second choice, with the only thing that my eye doesn't care for being the slight pool of gunk to the left of the word "FIVE" on the reverse.

So, my order --> 1, 3, 2

-----------------

PS -- On an aside, based on the photos you have presented, I wouldn't classify #2 as 6FS. It looks to be 5FS to me, but it could just be the image.

very hard, all are nice

I ended with 3>1>2

went with 3 because best obverse - well struck, some die erosion in fields but nice

1 - very small gouge on chin (unstruck area?) - lovely blue with couple gold areas

2 - I am a fan of toned, but got a mole on check, a couple dark spots on reverse and flattened area below pilar 3 on steps and entire coin could be a little dark

I like #1 the best. The luster is booming, it appears to have a bit of a "steely blue" hue to it, and the strike is superb.

Same here.

I'm not a big toning fan either but only #2 is well struck from new dies.

It's not unattractive toning so it's a great coin. This date isn't real tough with great strikes but great strikes and FS are a little tougher.