• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So is this the MO around here?

35 posts in this topic

I had 2 members contact me about the same coin offerring to buy. Both committed to a price and then reneg stringing me on for weeks. Ive sold over 100 coins ATS bought another 50 or so and not ONE bad transaction or even a return there. Add in 200 ebay transactions and I had 1 return. Here its 0-2. I know what the PCGS guys will say here but is this the norm? Guess im done selling anything here.

I live in MO (Missouri) and can't speak for everyone. But I've concluded, gosh, 50 transactions perhaps on NGC's BST? And I've had zero problems.

If your success is so much better ATS, it might well be best to buy and sell there exclusively. Since I'm banned over there, I cannot comment.

Hard to let you know with the information you have given. For one we do not know how long it was between the offer being given and you accepting the offer. To some if you read your messages once a week you could be the problem because you took so long to get back with them.

I am not saying this is the case just that this is the only problem I have ever had. Was not around too look at messages for a few days and they found another coin.

I have done buy and sell here with several folks, some of them multiple times. Never had a problem, everyone was open and honest going both ways. It seems your experience is thus different than mine. If ATS is so superior, I suggest you do you buisness over there.

Best, HT

It sounds as if you have simply been unlucky here and lucky, elsewhere. Surely you know that plenty of others have had bad experiences on EBay and/or on the other forum, from time to time.

I've had many transactions here, both buying and selling, without a single problem. Is it possible that the people who expressed interest in your coin are new to numismatics? I've often found that newcomers sometimes really don't know what they want. Granted, it would be the courteous thing for them to let you know and thank you for your time.

Chris

meh, its not a big deal I guess. The coin wasnt even for sale until they contacted me. I posted it just showing it off. Shes more than welcome to stick around. Just found it odd to get off to an 0-2 after so many no such problems everywhere else.

I live in MO (Missouri) and can't speak for everyone. But I've concluded, gosh, 50 transactions perhaps on NGC's BST? And I've had zero problems.

If your success is so much better ATS, it might well be best to buy and sell there exclusively. Since I'm banned over there, I cannot comment.

I've had many, many positive transactions ATS and am banned there too! I do sell on eBay and have two transactions here on CSMB to date.

ATS, eBay, here = ABOUT 200 transactions amd none went bad. Yes, some of it is luck for sure! :cool:

Sounds like the OP ran into a couple lemons. hm

I wouldn't get too upset about it just yet. Especially with how the current economy is, sometimes things come up, it sucks and yes it would be nice if there had been a courtesy notice to say they couldn't go further on the deal. But with such a low number of attempts here so far, I wouldn't take it too personal just yet. I have had a few transactions here, and unfortunately I had to back out of half a deal due to personal issues that came up at the time, but I did let the seller know a head of time so that if he could find another buyer then there wouldn't be any hard feelings on my end of the deal.

And just like you, I had a few offers on a couple coins that the potential buyers back out of without notice. But that too is ok, as I didn't lose anything in the process. In fact, I didn't actually have intentions of selling those couple of coins but I did entertain the offers.

Basically what I am saying is "Let it roll off like water off a ducks back" and continue to enjoy the other happenings around here.

I had 2 members contact me about the same coin offerring to buy. Both committed to a price and then reneg stringing me on for weeks. Ive sold over 100 coins ATS bought another 50 or so and not ONE bad transaction or even a return there. Add in 200 ebay transactions and I had 1 return. Here its 0-2. I know what the PCGS guys will say here but is this the norm? Guess im done selling anything here.

Good Evening.

Please do not think ill of the observations I make, because they are usually of no value, and are never intended to be less than mannerly.

So, why allow a buyer to string you along for weeks, after the buyer committed to a price?

It would seem to me that lack of quick follow thru on the part of the buyer is a "tell" that all was not well, and it was time to move on.

Doing so may have assisted you in evaluating buyers here vs. there, as opposed to a norm conclusion.

Respectfully, (always)

John Curlis

just unlucky, just move on and continue to sell here and ATS

Well I wasnt even selling any coins. I posted them to show them off and these guys made similar offers on the same coin which made me start thinking about selling. I wasnt actively selling, maybe that has something to do with it.

maybe they found out they both bought the same coin

When the 2nd guy contacted me, I told him it was on hold. When the first guy backed out, he said he was in. FIgured this was obvious enough to not need an explanation the first time around. Sorry for that mistake.

It can happen anywhere.

Sad that some get their undies in an uproar and just tell you to go back over there to sell.

Sell them in both places, just understand there are flakes everywhere.

Did the 2 folks, here, have long board presence? Are they considered valuable contributors (in your opinion) here?

Sometimes, it is just the luck of the draw and if, on the other boards, the deals you made were all for coins posted for sale, then that may be part of it.

I have heard of a few flakes recently, so it isn't just you.

Well, for what its worth, I am pretty new to the boards here....I haven't made an appearance ATS as I manage to keep my horizon filled right here. I have bought several pieces from people here and have nothing but good to say about those transactions. I paid, they delivered...it was textbook perfect. Sorry you had a bad experience, but its probably bound to happen sooner or later to everyone...both here and ATS.

I just started doing trades and purchases on here (only 3 times) and each time went fast and smoother than Ebay.. I have no complains.. now, just have to find somebody to sell me their Morgans!

:whee:

Funny you should say that Kenny..... I just had lunch today with a friend of mine who's father recently passed away... He is asking me for advice and help with what to do with (get this) several bags of all Morgans that weigh about he is estimating 19lbs....

I obviously offered to help him sort through them.... after I cleaned up the soup from my front when I dropped my spoon into the soup....

I might have a source for you dude... I will keep you posted....

I guess everyone has different experiences. I buy and sell mostly on Ebay, but I worked out a buy with a newer member to this forum. It worked much better than antcipated and I would do it again anytime. I will post his handle on the Kudos thread for others to see. He has a bunch of NGC PF70's he needs to sell but I will detail that in the other chat.

But I agree that you "struck out" with those 2 members, for what ever reason they had. But don't let one bad experience ruin possible good ones in the future.

Also, I am not familiar with the term ATS. Wondering if someone can tell me what that means.

Thanks,

Dave

Speaking of which... What is the best tip for selling on here? MO, Check, Etc.,

It depends on who you're dealing with. While most of the regular posters are honest individuals, I have run across some unscrupulous individuals as well. I won't mention names, but I inquired on a coin and was told that the pictures didn't show how great the coin looked in hand and that the seller apologized for "his poor photography" and "his poor lighting." It turns out, he hadn't even purchased the coin nor had he seen it in person (and I was able to prove this by objective and clear and convincing evidence). It ended in a long bitter thread between us in a thread that is now deleted. (The point of this story is to show general dishonesty). From a selling perspective, be cautious of PayPal and those who pay with credit cards as it leaves open the option for a charge back. I still recommend using PayPal, but try to establish a history from the individual poster (i.e. has this poster been here for years or is he/she a "fly by night" buyer?).

I think most people on the board are honest and easy to get along with - I have completed more than a dozen transactions including both buying, selling, and trading without incident (save for the one above). Nevertheless, this is an internet forum and any one with a computer and a ISP email address or similar email account can join. Be cautious about scammers from both sides (i.e. when buying and selling). When you are unsure, ask for references.

Speaking of which... What is the best tip for selling on here? MO, Check, Etc.,

If I recognized the buyer as a long time regular participant here I would certainly accept his check but if were an expensive coin I would wait for the check to clear before shipping any merchandise.