• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS Everyman sets

44 posts in this topic

First off, that is for an Everyman's Set, I would bet, and not for a "lowball set", so you should get your terminology accurate.

Secondly, I'm not sure why you fixate on it (and, since you posted about it before and continue to watch it, you obviously do fixate on it).

Third, more power to him for getting it with funds he obviously believes are quite discretionary, and to anyone who has one that they feel is worthwhile to sell him.

1. Thanks :)

2. I don't see the problem with updating a topic, I don't see you complaining about the multiple threads about NGC's world coin registry.

3. ok, thats good :)

If I had one in the grade he was looking for, I would definitely sell it to him for that price. Unfortunately I don't so oh well. I am glad to see he enjoys collecting in that style as it is not a favorite of everyone. But, he is collecting what he enjoys and I commend him for that.

If I had one in the grade he was looking for, I would definitely sell it to him for that price.

I would wait 10 years for the price to artificially inflate to around $1000. lol

The everyman set is NOT for me. Buying average grade, low investment coins at 1000% markup.......no thank you.

But I will defend to the end his right to do it!! :)

God Bless AMERICA!

The everyman set is NOT for me. Buying average grade, low investment coins at 1000% markup.......no thank you.

God Bless AMERICA!

$140 for a 1943 steel cent!!! ???? :insane:

You have to admit that PCGS does find some ingenious ways to get the lemmings to pay profoundly high prices for their products. I think the concept of "every man" has been buried in the marketing. (shrug)

God Bless AMERICA!

You have to admit that PCGS does find some ingenious ways to get the lemmings to pay profoundly high prices for their products. I think the concept of "every man" has been buried in the marketing. (shrug)

Well stated, Bill. Those are my thoughts exactly. The whole concept is very counter-intuitive. It is ALL about the competition and NOTHING else.

the difficulty is getting a 58

rust / corrosion - just enough rub/wear without too much

don't want to pay $30 submission for a no grade, MS62/63, AU55

I think there are only around 30 PCGS graded steel cents (all mints) in 58

the difficulty is getting a 58

rust / corrosion - just enough rub/wear without too much

don't want to pay $30 submission for a no grade, MS62/63, AU55

I think there are only around 30 PCGS graded steel cents (all mints) in 58

Maybe we'll hear sellers defending their high asking prices for MS63s by calling them "AU58s without a rub". :insane:

There was a time you could find 58,s at a low and fair price.

Now there are too many looking at them.

Guess it's just one more way this crazy hobby keeps changing.

There was a time you could find 58,s at a low and fair price.

Now there are too many looking at them.

Guess it's just one more way this crazy hobby keeps changing.

It's true, but, luckily, in some series, the AU58s are still *somewhat* reasonable.....unless the dealer/seller buys into the Everyman type of mentality and prices them at 63+

(and I don't mean a really really nice AU58 that is really a 63 and the dealer recognizes that).

When this happens, I am seeing the coin sitting in dealer inventory for MONTHS (literally....I am really seeing this). Shame too, because for some of the coins we used to need, I was willing to pay a premium for a really nice coin but the asking price was so far out of what I saw as reasonable that any "reasonable" offer I would have made would have been likely seen as ignorant or an insult.

Actually, it might make sense to find a 1943 BU steel cent and wear it in your pocket change for a week and then have it certified. That should nip the (Ebay) highway robbery syndrome in the bud.

I think that the "Everyman Sets" are a pretty clever marketing idea forwarded by someone who is not altogether consumed by registery one-upmanship. I happen to like AU58 coins, especially now that my tastes have been unceremoniously lowered to match my pedestrian income as a retired person. Maybe I can even have a Top 10 ten set in some catagory without having to declare bankruptcy during that same week!

I just built an Everyman Set and like it as much as many of the other very noncompetitive sets that I already own. Man, having fun collecting coins again and less guilt, what a concept?

God Bless AMERICA!

sexy

that blueish plastic and 58 grade for extremely common coins

definately not for me too rich and excessively common for my blood

just please dont break the coin out of its holder you might/could ?? be extremely disappointed in the market value of the coin

have fun with your plastic :devil:

Maybe we'll hear sellers defending their high asking prices for MS63s by calling them "AU58s without a rub". :insane:

Well, it does depend on who's doing the rubbing. :devil:

jom

Oh I expect some dealers (oops, Doctors) to be swinging their hammers briskly in order to regress MS60 and 61 coins back into AU58's if there is worth more money in it for them that way.

Surely, make fun of me for putting Walking Liberty half dollars which hardly exist in many mintages in XF/AU. It is moot because you can not find them readily anyhow in any condition other than MS-XX anyway. I will build my registry set the way that I see the challenge and you need not worry. I will not be competing against the registry norm. You will hardly notice but I will be happy attempting to do something which is actually achievable. What a novel idea?

Oh I expect some dealers (oops, Doctors) to be swinging their hammers briskly in order to regress MS60 and 61 coins back into AU58's if there is worth more money in it for them that way.

The problem is getting the TPG to AU58 them instead of putting them back in the MS-60, 61, 62 holders. Cracking your $10 MS coin, paying $20 to $30 to try and have it reslabbed as a $140 AU58, and having it come back as a $10 MS coin again gets expensive quick.

I am not familiar with the term "everyman set" although I think I have a base grasp of the meaning from the context. What is the actual definition? Is this something that started ATS?

I am not familiar with the term "everyman set" although I think I have a base grasp of the meaning from the context. What is the actual definition? Is this something that started ATS?

My understanding is that it is a type of registry set ATS that limits coins to a maximum grade of AU58 (hence the ridiculous premiums some of these coins are bringing in AU58). To me the term "Everyman" is snobbish and elitist.

My understanding is that it is a type of registry set ATS that limits coins to a maximum grade of AU58 (hence the ridiculous premiums some of these coins are bringing in AU58). To me the term "Everyman" is snobbish and elitist.

Yeah I always thought it was a classist way to market what's really a circulated set.

Nice.... yet another marketing ploy to seperate unwary collectors from their hard earned investment dollars... Thanks for the clarification... I suspected it was something like this.... Note to self.... stay away from "everyman sets".

I am currently working on an "Everyman" type set and am having a lot of fun doing it. I do agree that some of the pricing is out of hand, but quality AU coins can still be found at reasonable prices...just takes patience.

I started this set to expand my numismatic knowledge and to further my passion for the hobby. It has done that and more. I did not start this set to compete with others. I am interested in the coins not the competition.

BTW I have a 1943D NGC AU58 steelie...paid more than listed value, but way less that $140. If the guy wants to pay that much for a PCGS AU58 so be it.

It is a circulated set but so are many so-called MS63 coins in this market grading environment.

When I thought about this idea and posted my first thoughts on this topic, I tried to put the set in its proper context as being the natural extension of collecting Walking Liberty half dollars specifically, which are dated prior to the mid 1930's. I have most all of the P-coins already in higher grades and finding decently graded branch mint coins can be daunting, even when they are not even scarce (i.e.1938-D), just overpriced.

I think that the context of circulated coin collecting is already resident in this specific set grouping which is already embedded in the registry. This, given the score distribution of the 200+ sets registered, with many of these collector sub-sets already having VF to AU coins in their sets.

If one can't be or doesn't care to be, a market maker but wants to collect coins, is it ok with you that we be permitted to do so without being told that we are fools who are paying too much? Just keep an open mind to the fact that Ebay is full of vendors that list highly overpriced coins for months sometimes and never sell them.

Yeah I always thought it was a classist way to market what's really a circulated set.

You guys really have a chip on your shoulder.

PCGS could feed the poor in Los Angeles for a year, and you would complain that they did not cover San Francisco or that they did not feed the city for two years.

I am going to propose that they call it the 99-percenter sets. :D

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I have often praised PCGS for its superb marketing. I still stand by my comment regarding the title; it's analogous to having a set for "commoners" rather than the elite rich. Why not use a neutral term like "circlulated registries" instead?

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I have often praised PCGS for its superb marketing. I still stand by my comment regarding the title; it's analogous to having a set for "commoners" rather than the elite rich. Why not use a neutral term like "circlulated registries" instead?

Personally, I don't care what they call it. The fact is that if the coins were really AU58 they ARE nicer than many MS coins so I don't know how you can even apply the term "everyman" (elitist points aside).

The problem is once PCGS promotes this it becomes a LABEL contest and not which coins are nicest. Today, AU58s aren't what they used to be. In fact, many reside in MS holders today because of resubmissions and market grading.

jom