• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG -- 1916 Barber Dime (GRADE REVEALED)

16 posts in this topic

I imaged this coin in two different ways. The first is with direct light, to show luster better. The second is with axial lighting to show the surfaces and toning better. In hand, the coin is quite stunning. You be the judge....guess the grade. It resides in a PCGS holder.

I only cropped the coin images and adjusted brightness. The toning is accurate, and no saturation adjustments were made.

122820.jpg.9a9900e6de3697f22863bf9dd6cde4de.jpg

122821.jpg.97c1a70611a826b89647508a30ab27d6.jpg

Thanks to all for their input regarding this dime. It currently resides in an old PCGS holder, graded MS62. My personal feeling viewing the coin in hand is that it is undergraded by 1 full point conservatively, and has a real possibility of a 2 point upgrade.

The pics I posted seem to have thrown a few people, as the axial images are meant to show color and texture, not luster. In addition, small coins like dimes don't exhibit large luster bands like Morgan Dollars. Nonetheless, the coin is booming with luster in hand, and has a nice patina to both sides. The selling point for me on the coin was the beautiful ring of toning on the obverse periphery.

Comments/Discussion welcome!

Cheers,

-Brandon

122955.jpg.a195fd941b928bbde7238589818f2cb5.jpg

The coin is premium quality to say the least; I like the toning. Are you going to send it to CAC in anticipation of a gold sticker? I would definitely send it to CAC; however, I don't think I would break it out of its old green PCGS holder.

For now, it will stay in the MS62 holder in my collection. Sometime in the next year or so, I may piggy back submit it with a dealer to CAC. Thanks for the kind words Kenny. This one is a keeper for sure!

I agree with MS-62, and frankly, it was my guess as well. However, I did not want to post what could have been perceived as a negative opinion.

Since when do you worry about perception of a negative opinion?? ;)

I agree with MS-62, and frankly, it was my guess as well. However, I did not want to post what could have been perceived as a negative opinion.

Since when do you worry about perception of a negative opinion?? ;)

lol I had a feeling you would receive some pretty strong guesses :) . It's a nice coin regardless of what anyone thinks.