• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

24 posts in this topic

My father died in April of 2009 at the age of 88. He had been a collector for many years and left a substantial collection. I had never been interested in his coins and I had no knowledge of the coins in his collection or their value. Wow-what an eye-opening experience this has been. None of his coins were slabbed and he had not provided an inventory of grades or values.

His collection included an almost complete set of Morgan Dollars in AU and low MS grades, an AU 1798 Bust Dollar, some gold, and thousands loose ungraded coins in all denominations and varieties. Most all of his more valuable coins had been dipped ( some overly dipped), a few had been cleaned, and a couple were wizzed and re-engraved. There was a fake 1937 three legged buffalo nickel, an electoplated 1787 Indian and Eagle on Globe and a counterfeit Continental Currency. I was overwhelmed by the terminology and the complexity involved in grading coins.

I was fortunate to find a dealer who helped me sort through this confusing mess. Along the way, I developed an interest in collecting Morgan Dollars and I am now hooked on the series. I have much to learn and realize it will take years to develope some level of competency.

This forum has been a great source of information. The members are so passionate and knowledgable and I learn something everytime I log on. I want to learn to photograph my coins and to share them with other forum members.

WELCOME!

I hope that you learn alot and build some friendships as I have.

Ask any and ALL questions, as there is always someone here to help and who likely knows the answers.

Enjoy the ride. :)

Build on your fathers legacy... Even if they aren't the best, they were his and that is more valuable than any other condition... I still have the few coins my grandfather gave to me that got me hooked...

Welcome...

Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

Back in the 70's I had a JVC turntable...it was class, played vinyl better than this new technology, wish I still had it. Welcome to the forum.

For me, it was JVC chrome cassettes. Much better high-frequency response than cheap iron-oxide, and superior quality to Maxell.

Eventually though, I upgraded to Fuji metal-oxide tape (45 minutes in order to have the lightest mass on the tape deck's flywheel). With Dolby-C, HX-Pro, a good three-head deck and properly calibrated bias, the performance was stunningly close to digital quality.

Well,

The good news is that there are a high percentage of exceptionally honest people who are coin collectors which is a good trait when dealing with money. The bad news is.............well, there really is no bad news because if you're dealing with a Dealer who has the patience to help you understand, he should earn your business as a result. Further, compared to 20-25 years ago, almost any coin can be sold by a competent Auctioneer in a well publicized auction and will realize fair market value.

As long as you stay away from those Cash for Gold places, your in a great position.

Oh, welcome to the boards. Ask away!!!

Welcome to the neighborhood. I'm pretty new here too. I think you will find a lot of help and good resources here. I have been impressed with the level of help and care from many of the members. I am just trying to figure out photography also, so let me know how you are doing. There are a lot of great coin photographers here that will bend over backwards to lend a hand.

Welcome to the Boards. :hi:

Can't wait to see some pictures!

We like'em all kind here

OP (Old Pueblo) I'm not very old (50) but Tucson Arizona is nicknamed the "Old Pueblo" I feel old as dirt sometimes though :cry: