• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Handled my first major rarity today. - Photos added.

38 posts in this topic

So as stated I started working in a coin shop. Today I helped a customer with the purchase of a 1901 Proof Set. The set has the Morgan, Barber Half, Barber Qtr, Barber Dime, V Nickel and Penny. All coins are raw, but nice none the less. The dime is the best of the bunch looks PF65 with some color. The dollar, half, and qtr are likely 63/4 I think the dollar is PF64. The Cent is PF62 or PF63 The Nickel might also be PF 65. Overall a very nice set and a sight to see. I hope I will get a chance to image the set and show it off. I did not have the proof set in my shop, but I went with him as another set of eyes. Just super cool!

I know before you say this thread is worthless without pictures. I fully intend to image this set soon I hope.

If this set comes up for sale then please move this thread as it will spam. I do not know what will happen to the set right now.

While the term "major rarity" is admittedly somewhat ambiguous, I don't think of a 1901 Proof set as such.

I typically think of a major rarity as a well publicized coin, of which there are fewer than approximately two dozen examples known.

And, "this thread is worthless without pictures". ;)

While the term "major rarity" is admittedly somewhat ambiguous, I don't think of a 1901 Proof set as such.

I typically think of a major rarity as a well publicized coin, of which there are fewer than approximately two dozen examples known.

Yeah yeah.. I know.. I need to get photos soon. I cannot wait to photo these coins. For me this is surely a thrill.

Is this an original set in wrappers or a put together set?

If it is original in wrappers get pictures of the mint packaging as well. Many collectors have never seen how they came.

Is this an original set in wrappers or a put together set?

If it is original in wrappers get pictures of the mint packaging as well. Many collectors have never seen how they came.

The set is likely put together, at least in the current state. It is in a holder all in one. The original holder is not there nor the receipt.

To a novice collector and even a well heeled numismatist it's not often you see proof set that is dated prior to 1936. WindyCity has one of the best pre-1900 proof sets I have ever seen, every now and then he will show it off.

Hopefully you will be able to image this 1901 set and give us a tour.

Yeah yeah.. I know.. I need to get photos soon. I cannot wait to photo these coins. For me this is surely a thrill.

I agree with Mark but if I were in your shoes that WOULD be pretty cool...does anyone ever see these in original packaging? That would be outrageously cool. :whee:

jom

In the interest of clarity and the " Feld Fair Play Rule", the OP did state

"...MY first major rarity....".

I have made a note on my Bucket List to use the phrase "... I bought MY first major rarity..." ( as defined by Mr. Feld).

I also made a note to not enthusiastically ask Mr. Feld for salutations upon my retirement. I have an unusual aversion to having my enthusiasm reduced in importance, to me......regardless of how correct and logical his observations are.

Respectfully, of course.

John Curlis

Before I move any further. I do not own this set, but I did get to image this set today. I do not know if this set will come up for sale at some point. If it does this can be marked as spam and moved. I just wanted to share the photos with you all.

1901ps.png

Update... My buddy sent in the coins to NGC.....

$1 PF 64 CAM

50c PF 64

25c Imp Cleaned

10c PF 65+

5c PF 66

1c PF 64

Very Nice!

Happy to see most graded. It's really a treat to see raw coins like these then sit on the edge of your seat waiting on the grading results.

:)