• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there any reason for me NOT to crack this out?

24 posts in this topic

Bought this for a type set, but upgraded before I even received this. Thinking about cracking out and exposing to air so it will possibly re-tone. Any reason NOT to crack it out?

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=3218533-007

Thanks for all opinions.

Can't tell much from the scan... But if it's been cleaned or and polished your better off selling it as is in the holder as it could be a LONG time for any patina to set in on dead surfaces.

when you go to sell it, a genuine slab will bring more than raw

so how long do you want to keep it?

if you already have an upgrade, I would sell it now for my next purchase/upgrade

if you crack it out, are you planning on keeping it 5-10 years?

Is there any reason for me NOT to crack this out?

If you plan to keep it and let it re-tone, by all means crack it.

If you were selling it this year, leave it.

Bought this for a type set, but upgraded before I even received this. Thinking about cracking out and exposing to air so it will possibly re-tone. Any reason NOT to crack it out?

On the contrary, you should crack it out, if I interpret the images properly. That coin needs someone to take care of it, and having the loving patience to wait a few years while it rests in an album and recovers from mistreatment.

It's really sad to see cleaned coins entombed in slabs like that, where they have absolutely no chance of ever recovering any kind of patina, when in fact they should be stored in albums (or Kraft envelopes).

On the contrary, you should crack it out, if I interpret the images properly. That coin needs someone to take care of it, and having the loving patience to wait a few years while it rests in an album and recovers from mistreatment.

It's really sad to see cleaned coins entombed in slabs like that, where they have absolutely no chance of ever recovering any kind of patina, when in fact they should be stored in albums (or Kraft envelopes).

agreed 100%!

I'd take the opposite view. If it has been cleaned, chances are the surfaces have hairlines or have been polished. If that is what has happened to it, toning won't fix it so that it will get a grade in the future. It looks like the coin has already got some toning on it. It's hard to say what the toning might ultimately become.

At any rate, chances are selling it in a holder will be easier than selling it raw. The exception to this is if the toning is ONE attractive and TWO diminishes the effects of the cleaning to the naked eye or perhaps a magified view. At any rate you won't know until the coin is in hand.

...i'm just curious how many reading this thinks that slabs are air-tight picked up on Thinking about cracking out and exposing to air so it will possibly re-tone. hm

...just an observation on my part. :hi:

I think if you already have an upgrade and don't really need or want the coin for any specific reason, then I'd leave it slabbed and sell it off. Depending on the cleaning, as Bill stated, toning will not remove the indications of that.

I'd take the opposite view. If it has been cleaned, chances are the surfaces have hairlines or have been polished. If that is what has happened to it, toning won't fix it so that it will get a grade in the future. It looks like the coin has already got some toning on it. It's hard to say what the toning might ultimately become.

At any rate, chances are selling it in a holder will be easier than selling it raw. The exception to this is if the toning is ONE attractive and TWO diminishes the effects of the cleaning to the naked eye or perhaps a magified view. At any rate you won't know until the coin is in hand.

I agree. Unless you want to keep it for your collection (which I recommend seeking a problem free example instead), sell it now in the holder. It will command more than if the coin is raw.

So what do the posters think the value of this is in its current state? If anyone wants to make me an offer send a PM. The picture is representative of the "in hand" look. Light silver color, no significant toning, and a bit on the dull side. Decent for a type coin.

What is the spot above the R in America on the reverse. I am not good at spotting pvc damage from pictures so I could be wrong but if it is pvc damage I would think it would need to be cracked out to conserve.

Under 10x magnification it appears to be a tiny (pin head size) toning mark. Also a few tiny toning specks on obverse. Nothing that indicates any PVC or other issues.

I would think NGC would have noted any issues of this nature.

..... If anyone wants to make me an offer send a PM. The picture is representative of the "in hand" look. Light silver color, no significant toning, and a bit on the dull side. Decent for a type coin.

Wrong forum.

For those of us who are youngsters to the hobby..(my only chance of having the term youngster), what is a Kraft envelope?

Prior to the discovery of the Taco Bell napkin...

Older Kraft coin storage envelopes used decades ago would tone coins over a course of a few years.

They where also recommended for toning over issues such as a staple scratch etc.

Thanks Broadstruck....

I thought you were kidding about the TB napkin until I did a Google search..... Holy cripes!

So is using a Kraft envelope or a TB napkin considered artificial toning?

Thanks Broadstruck....

I thought you were kidding about the TB napkin until I did a Google search..... Holy cripes!

So is using a Kraft envelope or a TB napkin considered artificial toning?

I don't know about the brand name of envelopes, but I have used envelopes that came with coins I bought back in the 1960's for retoning purposes. The coins always toned. Sometimes it was nice; sometimes it was so-so; but if the coin had a nice original look to it, I'd call it "natural." For me it worked on silver and copper.

The reason? The process took several years, and the toning that was formed got there the same way the original toning got there through environmental conditions.

Thanks for all opinions.

The Hypothetical (Feldian Theory of Numismatic Pursuit):

The coin is cracked out.

It subsequently in the year 2468 tones.

The owner still breathes (not so well, but hanging in there....)

Does he/she send it in for Grading, properly identified as an improperly cleaned coin, or leave it up to the NPG ( Ninth Party Grading, for those that can't really daydream about the future of Numismatics) to decide the fate of this enhanced/improved/conserved coin?

Does he/she not send it in for Grading after releasing it from its plastic Bonds and, not mentioning the previous designation, sell it at the 2468 500th Anniversary Show of the 1968 ANA Show to a somewhat less experienced collector /numismatist?

Does the owner leave it alone, and use it as a teaching tool for new AND not so new collectors/numismatists?

Does the owner crack it out, put in a type set, subsequently pass on to numismatic Heaven (we hope), and having not identified the improper cleaning, the surviving family members sell the toned coin at the 500th Anniversary ANA Show to a less experienced collector/numismatist?

Consequences of actions.....an interesting subject.

Respectfully,

john Curlis

Here are some more pics....heaven forbid if someone likes it and wants to PM me with an offer to buy it. OMG I am not offering for sale on this forum because it might be spam, OMG. IT CAN NOT BE FOR SALE, MR FELD SAYS SO....OMG....

Added note; I was a client of Mr. Feld and was previously satisfied with his services. Insulting me in this public forum, totally dismisses him from any of any future services. I find his comments unprofessional, uninformed, stupid, and insulting. There is no reason for me to do business with Mr. Feld again.

Thank You.

120876.jpg.9e2bb8cff4fc5700a729f1987a266992.jpg

Thanks for all opinions.

The coin is cracked out.

Does he/she send it in for Grading, properly identified as an improperly cleaned coin, or leave it up to the NPG ( Ninth Party Grading, for those that can't really daydream about the future of Numismatics) to decide the fate of this enhanced/improved/conserved coin?

Does he/she not send it in for Grading after releasing it from its plastic Bonds and, not mentioning the previous designation, sell it at the 2468 500th Anniversary Show of the 1968 ANA Show to a somewhat less experienced collector /numismatist?

Does the owner leave it alone, and use it as a teaching tool for new AND not so new collectors/numismatists?

Does the owner crack it out, put in a type set, subsequently pass on to numismatic Heaven (we hope), and having not identified the improper cleaning, the surviving family members sell the toned coin at the 500th Anniversary ANA Show to a less experienced collector/numismatist?

Respectfully,

john Curlis

I got a REALLY big laugh outta this one John, and so did my son!!!

Thanks for all opinions.

The coin is cracked out.

Respectfully,

john Curlis

I got a REALLY big laugh outta this one John, and so did my son!!!

Thank You for your kind words, and while it is gratifying that you appreciate same, the fact that your son does gives me hope there is a fighting chance for me. I thank him sincerely.

With Respect,

John Curlis