• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my 1897 S Morgan please

18 posts in this topic

Just bought this raw over the weekend. Trying to teach myself to take decent photos too. Obverse has some apparent flat strike characteristics but overall no big hits on the cheek. There are a few contact marks in the left field. Reverse has a little contact mark at the arrow tips and above " In God We Trust".

Thanks for your thoughts.

053.jpg

054.jpg

I'm gonna' be hard on the first one (97-S) and call it a 55-58. Once you leave the devices there's a little border and then a different look for the fields that I view as slightly circulated. Also the rim is screaming at me that something is amiss.

The second coin (79-S) I'd give a 63+ or 64.

I'm gonna' be hard on the first one (97-S) and call it a 55-58. Once you leave the devices there's a little border and then a different look for the fields that I view as slightly circulated. Also the rim is screaming at me that something is amiss.

The second coin (79-S) I'd give a 63+ or 64.

That was actually my first inclination for coin # 1, as the hair around the ear seemed worn or incomplete, beyond the point of being explained away by a soft strike.

Good eye SPeck95512. The rim definitely does appear to have a "different strike" than the other Morgans I have here at my desk. Where the beaded edge extends even beyond the last high relief ridge on the others, on this coins obverse the strike seems visibly less deep.The rim also is a bit tapered.

I'm guessing this is all just strike related but a great catch and exactly the kind of insight I need to learn.

Thanks

Your pics show fairly clear fields on both Obverse and Reverse for both coins. 1897-S is known for an above average strike. Pics show average strike--MS63.

1879-S is typically sharp and bold. Your pics show an average strike--MS63.

I like both coins, and the pics may not give a clear representation of the strike or clarity of the fields.

Carl

Bought them both at auction last weekend. I thought they were MS 64 "ish" so I pulled the trigger. If they get sent to NGC and come back MS 64, I'll be doing the happy dance.

Thanks again for your input.

They both look like MS64's to me - I think a number of you folks are being too tough on the 1897-S.

"S" mints in '97 are supposed to have very 'decent' strikes - the hairline just does not do it for me :)

With the aforementioned issues by the OP, I cannot get by what is

happening on the chin, if thats a gouge or a die chip. It will definitely affect its grade - I am going with a gouge and thus my downgrade.

After comparing these coins to mine I will stick by my grades :-)

Still nice nevrtheless :headbang: