• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

breaking open original rolls?

28 posts in this topic

as a roll searcher, do you feel bad opening up original rolls?

* roll purchased specifically to look for high grade / errors / varieties

Nowadays, if they are in anything but a Mint wrapper, I wouldn't believe the Vatican if they claimed they were "original" rolls.

Chris

I actually hav an unopened roll a bank qtrs. (orange/white string roll) that my wife got me for xmas in 2006. I've had them in a misc box since then. Both ends show S. Dakota. Would the whole roll be the same qtrs? Or just a coincidence.

I actually hav an unopened roll a bank qtrs. (orange/white string roll) that my wife got me for xmas in 2006. I've had them in a misc box since then. Both ends show S. Dakota. Would the whole roll be the same qtrs? Or just a coincidence.

I still have 7 Mint rolls of AK & HI that I've yet to go through. I went through one roll of AK - P and about half were the "6 claw".

Chris

I have about 30 rolls of the Lincoln formative years coins....don't know if I should break them or not. Any thoughts?

Yea I have 4 boxes ea. of the LP2, 3, & 4's that are unopened also.

bank wrapped / federal reserve wrapped in shotgun roll so that can not be returned to present condition

I've got news for you........you can tear open 1000 rolls of bank-wrapped or fed-wrapped coins, paint all of them green, return them to the bank the next day in plastic bags and the following week they will all be back in brand new bank-wrapped or fed-wrapped rolls.

Chris

Both ends show S. Dakota. Would the whole roll be the same qtrs? Or just a coincidence.

Could be either one and there is no way to know which it is until you open them. And once you do that, if it is an original roll, it isn't any longer.

I have a couple rolls of pennies (1 from 59 the other from 61) that have "Federal Reserve" on the label.. are those original from the mint?

No. The US mint never issued any Mint wrapped rolls until 2000 . Those were dollar and quarter rolls. All Mint wrapped rolls are in paper that specifically identifies it as coming from the Mint. After the dollars and quarters the Mint did wrapped rolls for half dollars starting in 2002, nickels from 2003 to 2006, and cents since 2009. They have never done rolls of dimes.

They sold rolls of 2001 halves but I don't believe they actually sold them until 2002. Originally the 2001 coins were made for circulation but most of them were never released. Then when the 2002's were made for sale directly to collectors the following year the 2001's were put on sale as well.

They sold rolls of 2001 halves but I don't believe they actually sold them until 2002. Originally the 2001 coins were made for circulation but most of them were never released. Then when the 2002's were made for sale directly to collectors the following year the 2001's were put on sale as well.

Conder,

I could be wrong, but I thought the 2001 Kennedy's weren't released until 2004. At least that is what I remember from the Mint's listing when I ordered mine. That was the year that I got the Kennedy missing the clad layer and it was slabbed by NGC the same year.

Chris

Thanks for that correction, I didn't realize it took then that long. You would have thought that once they started selling the 2002's they would have immediately started selling the 2001's as well. Still shows my original comment about when each roll denomination went on sale was accurate.

I made a trip to my local bank branch yesterday and was told they dont sell rolls. They also had no loose coins to sell. They suggested I go to a different branch about 20 miles away because they had more coinage. I happened to need to go that way anyway, so I stopped there and got the same story, although they did have some loose halves they sold me....

I was surprised neither branch would sell me rolls...do I need to change banks? Or maybe deodorant? The bank in question was Chase.

I made a trip to my local bank branch yesterday and was told they dont sell rolls. They also had no loose coins to sell. They suggested I go to a different branch about 20 miles away because they had more coinage. I happened to need to go that way anyway, so I stopped there and got the same story, although they did have some loose halves they sold me....

I was surprised neither branch would sell me rolls...do I need to change banks? Or maybe deodorant? The bank in question was Chase.

Was it a specific denomination you were asking for? I know I used to have to deal with a bank in a small town and they did not carry the prez rolls but I could get other rolls ok. I think the banks just order rolls with demand for certain denominations.

Actually they I guess did have the presidential rolls, although even those I guess they said they have to order in....I just asked for any rolls of halves, dollars....or loose of either. Am I wrong in assuming there isn't much point in searching the Pres dollars?