• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ice blue toning on steel cents

11 posts in this topic

Extremely BU examples already take on a bluish hue so yes, they are not rare by any means, I would however be wary of neon blues.

I have 3 in some soft plasticy + cardboard holder that have all taken the hue. I was wondering if it was inherent to the steel or to the platic in the holder. Not neon but iceberg/glacier blue. Really cool color.

I was wondering if it was inherent to the steel or to the platic in the holder.

It is actually a property of the zinc. When new with no oxidation zinc is silver in color. When a heavy oxidation layer develops it is white and/or powdery. But when it has just a hint of oxidation on the surfaces it takes on a faint bluish silver white color. Ice blue would be a good description.

soft plasticy + cardboard holder ->

I would be worried about PVC

Ill try and take a pic to show the holder. Its some kind of mint or other place's souvenir type of holder with a carcboard section printed with info about the reason for the coins and then 3 little windows of some kind of plastic that shows the coins. I dont think my current camera equipment will do much to grag the blue hue but maybe a picture of the holder will confirm if this type of storage medium is known for the color.

Nice coin ENC, looks flawless.