• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG of this 1894-s Morgan on a cold & windy day in NYC

19 posts in this topic

Since it's cold & windy outside, I chose to stay indoors instead of going on my morning run. I decided to image some coins that I haven't gotten around to.

Soooooooo, guess the grade on my 1894-s Morgan

004-vert.jpg

Strong strike. Even looks like a little frosting on the devices. At least MS65 in quality. I think the Obverse field and device hits cost a grade point. So I'll go with MS64.

Carl

I see a few too many marks in the obverse field and on Ms. Liberty's cheek to call this an MS-64. MS-63 is my grade. The reverse is very nice and perhaps as good as MS-65, but the obverse really sets the grade. The reverse comes along for the ride, unless it has a significant problem that would drag the coin down.

I see a few too many marks in the obverse field and on Ms. Liberty's cheek to call this an MS-64. MS-63 is my grade. The reverse is very nice and perhaps as good as MS-65, but the obverse really sets the grade. The reverse comes along for the ride, unless it has a significant problem that would drag the coin down.

Normally, I would agree. If we were to split grade this, I would call it 63+/65. I think the reverse is strong enough to bring it up to a 64 overall.

Wow, guess I am the devils advocate on my guess but I would say a solid MS63. The obverse has a lot of marks in the field in front of liberty and her cheeks really detracts from the appearance.

This coin has always been one of MY FAVORITE DATES in the Morgan series! I would grade it at MS 63+ overall. It would easily make it to 64 if not for the chatter in the left facing field. VERY NICE semi-key coin!!

Thanks for your guesses and your kind words. First and foremost, I think the bag marks and chatter definitely hurt this coin's grade, but as for being distracting, not really. I think the lights just make it look worse than it really is. The strike is real strong and the reverse is definitely 64+/65. The luster is absolutely booming and the devices are frosted. I feel it has trememdous eye appeal and at MS64 I feel the grade is fair. But in all honesty, I could also see where some of your guesses of MS63 come from. Overall I like it, I like it a lot and much better for me than spending $4000+ on a MS65

1894sms64obv-horz.jpg

Those pictures are much easier on the coin and I am sure in hand it looks much better than the blown up as well. I can agree with the TPG on this one at MS64.

I call it MS63, but I wouldn't be surprised with a MS62 grade. My experience with NGC is that they are tougher on better dates. I have an 1894-s Morgan in a NGC MS64 holder that looks favorable to most MS65 common date coins (I still haven't gotten around to getting the coin properly imaged yet; if I can have this done reasonably soon, I"ll post images).

I guessed 63, and 64 seems maxed out to me.

Maybe 64-minus? ( a very small minus lol )

James I've actually used that grade before! lol

And I think I'll go with something like MS63+/MS64-