• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spend $2500 for one coin to complete a MODERN set ???

19 posts in this topic

I really do not want to - but its the only coin left to complete my Modern Gold/Plat collection.

Jackie Robinson GOLD MS ... even in MS69 its a lot of overtime ...

Would you bite the bullet or leave it open.

Diameter: 21.60 millimeters Designer: William C. Cousins/James Peed

Weight: 8.36 grams Edge: Reeded

Metal Content: 90% Gold, 10% Copper Mintage: 5,174

120262.jpg.63959f5f1b65ade4fcca2ae67fe6a6b7.jpg

120263.jpg.22e51621c2b01a7fc20544529f3b9d46.jpg

I think I can remember you wanting to buy a ms70 a couple of years ago but the cost was a bit high then :)

Now it would be a MS69 for probably 3 times the money :(

I think I can remember you wanting to buy a ms70 a couple of years ago but the cost was a bit high then :)

Now it would be a MS69 for probably 3 times the money :(

Stink :(

If you take the attitude that the important thing is the pursuit of the coins rather than the finish then take coinman's advice. Hold out for a more reasonable one. Maybe an MS68.

What do you plan to do when you FINISH the set? Sell it? If so, why bother with the Robinson then anyway?

I guess it depends on what you ultimately want.

jom

The economy is poor and more collectors are liquidating their coins; I would hold out a while to see if I could find a cheaper example. I doubt prices are going to spike any time soon on these.
+1

If you want to complete the set, you can either buy the coin or put one of the baseball cards in its place. Which would look better?

Chris

Being born and raised in Brooklyn with BROOKLYN Dodgers fans in my family, I say it's a no brainer.Bite the bullet. The coin may not be the most attractively designed coin, but your set isn't complete without it and Jackie Roosevelt Robinson was definitely worthy of having his image on a comemmorative coin

Yeah .... Would have rather had the EBAY deal go through on which I purchased a 1883 25c Seated Liberty PF65CAM but that fell through so ... I had the money

and that hole has been there a long time and I just finished catching up with the 2011 goldies sooooooooo .....

YES THE SET IS COMPETE!

Most expensive gold I have ever bought but at 5000 pieces made , valuation I believe would have stayed stagnated at a high level and there are not that many peices out there with realistic pricing.

120289.jpg.0fc951bf0b1a8ae57c379a8c2a92aa76.jpg