• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey Guys, I'm Coincrazed!

67 posts in this topic

To tell the truth, I had some problems on CT.

Yes, it appears you did, assuming the following were your posts.

http://www.cointalk.com/search.php?searchid=679277

Please don't dig up old posts on other sites. That was there, here is here. I'm a bit more mature now, and more diplomatic as well.

CC

If you don't have a Red Book, you should get one. It could even be one from a couple years ago if you can find one cheap. Prices change every day; other information remains the same.

Once you have copy, check out the areas in addition to dimes, the Lincoln cents and Walking Liberty half dollars. You'll be amazed how interesting those other items can be, but it took me a while to get them when I was a teenager. I found the pre-federal coinage especially hard to get into back then.

Back when I was 16 years old, in 1965 :preach:, I was working a gold type set. In those days you could buy MS-63 or 64 (no body graded that precisely in those days) $20 gold piece, Liberty or St. Gaudens, for $49.95, but I was paying full retail, $75.00, because I didn't want to get stuck with a counterfeit. I was buying only from big time dealers. Sadly they cost a lot more today, but some classic coins in the better circulated grades like VF and EF are still affordable. The trouble is they are hard to find because a lot of them are sitting in collections.

Thanks for the advice! I have a red book and am currently looking for an 1809 Dime and 1876 20¢ piece, along with a few others. Wow... $70 for a Gold piece, let alone a $20 gold piece? Wow!

CC

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys.

OK! OK, you guys. Since you want to see pics, I'll show you my 1916D Mercury Dime, my favorite Coin in my collection. What do you think NGC Graded it?

cc010.jpg

cc012.jpg

CC

It looks like a nice, solid G4 to me.

I have a red book and am currently looking for an 1809 Dime and 1876 20¢ piece, along with a few others.

Take your time on finding a nice '76 double dime. I was surprised at how hard it was to find a nice circulated one for my collection. There were cleaned coins and high grade examples way out of my budget range, but very little else. Pricing guides on coins in the VF to EF range aren't always helpful because the dealers who have them oftentimes call dipped Fine examples "VF" and dipped VF30 examples "EF45+". Patience is a virtue.

I'll go G6 on the merc!!

I didn't know they actually did this grade. My grading books all go from G4 to G8. So I guess the in-between grades are used huh?

I'll go G6 on the merc!!

I didn't know they actually did this grade. My grading books all go from G4 to G8. So I guess the in-between grades are used huh?

Do you mean VG8?

My understanding is that G6, VG10, F15, and some of the intermediate very fine grades were added towards the middle of the 1990s to early 2000s.

I'll go G6 on the merc!!

It is PR1, FA2, AG3, G4, G6, VG8, VG10, F12, F15, VF20, VF25....

I'll go G6 on the merc!!

Do you mean VG8?

My understanding is that G6, VG10, F15, and some of the intermediate very fine grades were added towards the middle of the 1990s to early 2000s.

Yea, I meant VG8.

Wecome !! Yeah, your to young to own a 16-D!

Isn't that the truth? Shame on him! lol

Anyway, welcome, John! Do you roll-search? My 15 y/o and I have been doing it for years. It's fun, it's a great way to be introduced to the hobby, and it'll cost you less than that '16-D! :)

Wecome !! Yeah, your to young to own a 16-D!

Isn't that the truth? Shame on him! lol

Anyway, welcome, John! Do you roll-search? My 15 y/o and I have been doing it for years. It's fun, it's a great way to be introduced to the hobby, and it'll cost you less than that '16-D! :)

lol, Robec amd Buffalo Head!

And Kurt, just where do you think I got the money to buy a wholesome '16D? I roll hunted for two years and sold in March of last year when Silver was high. In two years I accumulated some 230+ Silver Roosevelt Dimes, 10 Mercury Dimes, 40 40% Silver Half Dollars, 10 90% Silver Half Dollars, and my favorite, taken in November

of 2010, two Silver Dollars, a 1921

Morgan and 1923 Peace. Last year, I got a 65 Silver 40% Half Dollar haul, though after I sold my Silver, it was hard to find. I even pulled some eye candy off photobucket just for you:

Silver Edges (from my 65 Silver Haul boxes):

cc003.jpg

cc001-1.jpg

My 65 Silver haul of last year:

cc006-1.jpg

AAAH! My Silver Roosevelt Dimes, all 230 of them, before I sold:

111007-3.jpg

Like the pics? Does it answer your question? :)

CC

Ok, again I am going to show my stupidity, but gotta ask.... where does one go to find such searchable rolls? For some reason I am not so convinced when I see on SleezeBay "unsearched roll".

Ok, thanks... I like doing roll searches, I just haven't had many to practice on.... To me it's like Easter Egg hunting!

They can be fun; however, you are better going to more rural areas or areas where the banks have coins that are passed directly from customers. I find that many old time collectors or other people who set coins aside as a kid tend to cash them in when they need money. My best search ever (in terms of total value yielded from a single siting): 3 rolls of half dollars ($30 face value) yielded 5 90% Kennedy Half Dollars, 18 40% Silver Kennedy Half Dollars, and 1 90% Franklin Half Dollar. This was a couple of years ago. I liquidated these, along with some other coins, when silver was above $40 an ounce.

i didn't know you could still go to the bank and get rolls.

i think where i live this would be successful. might try it. they only do half dollar rolls? i hope they do this at the banks here, if so i might just wipe them out for all their rolls lol. if i dont find anything, i'll just go to the next bank and cash them. how can you lose?

Ha! So it turns out I was advising another seasoned campaigner! Such impertinence on my part! :blush:

Great score!!! (thumbs u

i didn't know you could still go to the bank and get rolls.

i think where i live this would be successful. might try it. they only do half dollar rolls? i hope they do this at the banks here, if so i might just wipe them out for all their rolls lol. if i dont find anything, i'll just go to the next bank and cash them. how can you lose?

Sometimes they are out of rolls and sometimes they will only have a few. If you ask and have the capital, the banks (at least mine) will order entire boxes of $1,000 half dollars at face value (quarters are $500, and dimes are ($250?)).

Ha! So it turns out I was advising another seasoned campaigner! Such impertinence on my part! :blush:

Great score!!! (thumbs u

Haha, no problem man! CRH is a great hobby, no? It paid in full for my 1916D Dime. :)

And here's the verdict on the 1916D, NGC AG3:

cc011-1.jpg

I must say, I really thing NGC undergraded this. I have seen G6's and VG's that aren't as

nice or have as much eye appeal as this. And for $400, I snagged her. Thoughts?

CC