• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do with a 1913 PCI PF-66 BN Lincoln?

34 posts in this topic

Should I crack it out and submit to NGC or PCGS? Do nothing?

It's just been sitting around in my collection for a decade or so.

Suggestions?

Thank You.

If you intend to sell it in the near future, you will need to get it into an NGC or PCGS slab in order to get more than peanuts for it (and don't expect it to cross at grade). If you like the coin and don't intend to sell it soon, then why not leave it as it is?

It's kinda like having a fine wine in a decanter that says "poison". Years ago I sent it to NGC or PCGS (don't recall which one) and it did not cross and was returned to me. I am not familiar with what options NGC or PCGS offer today regarding PCI holdered coins and min cross-over grading. Hoping for some guidance from the board members regarding options.

These darn PCI slabs -- seem to be a burden, even though they were useful back in "the day". But it is now a new day.

Thanks in advance.

First of all, is it in an old green holder (10 digit) or the gold holders? If the latter, you might as well crack it out and submit it raw. If the former, you should send it to PCGS IMO (NGC will only consider PCGS coins for a cross-over so you cannot cross it to NGC) and specify a minimum of grade of PR63 BN or so. If it doesn't cross at PR63 BN or so, I would be very cautious about the piece, and I would probably sell it in the PCI holder.

P.S. Do you have any pictures?

I am not familiar with what options NGC or PCGS offer today regarding PCI holdered coins and min cross-over grading

I believe NGC had a recent change in the crossover process and will only cross PCGS graded coins. PCGS still has the "cross at any grade" policy.

TRUTH

2 things are required for me to help you - some indication of what the coin looks like ( a picture would be great), and what do you intend to do with it? If you are going to keep the coin, then there is no reason to mess with it. If you are going to sell it, then yes, you need to get it into a better slab.

PCI has changed ownership over the years. If the coin was graded years ago, I doubt there is any recourse. I do not know what is the guarantee for PCI. :(

TRUTH

PCI has changed ownership over the years. If the coin was graded years ago, I doubt there is any recourse. I do not know what is the guarantee for PCI. :(

TRUTH

It was a rhetorical question. Of course no one will accept accountability. PCI's standards have been reduced to , and there is no accountability. That's fine.

That's the nature of the industry. It is what it is.

IF THE DARKNESS ON THAT COIN IS CARBON,THAT ISNT GOOD AT ALL.

BUT IF ITS JUST NATURAL TONE THATS ANOTHER STORY.I HAVE A LOT OF LINCOLNS NGC AND PCGS I LIKE THAT COIN.

HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT NCS AS A RAW COIN THAN OVER TO NGC.

IF THAT ISNT CARBON.

I SENT IN A 1909 S DVB TO NCS AND THEY COULDNT GET SOME OF THE CARBON OFF.

The PCI slab is a gold border from at least four owners ago. It is no better than being raw.

That PCI coin looks crappy.

Frankly from the pictures so does the PCGS.

The PCI slab is a gold border from at least four owners ago. It is no better than being raw.

That PCI coin looks crappy.

Frankly from the pictures so does the PCGS.

I agree. The images don't tell us much.

Here is the PCGS 1913 from a 2009 Teletrade auction. If the PCI 1913 were truly a 66BN, it would be worth the money to either cross or conserve and send to NGC. Looking at the photo, I don't think it would even net grade a 63.

c27281041-a.jpg

So the real question now is, 1) should I crack it out and attempt to get it into a PCGS/NGC holder; 2)leave it as is; or 3) submit to PCGS/NGC in its holder and not request a min grade -- don't know if this is an option these days.

Thank You.

Here is the PCGS 1913 from a 2009 Teletrade auction. If the PCI 1913 were truly a 66BN, it would be worth the money to either cross or conserve and send to NGC. Looking at the photo, I don't think it would even net grade a 63.

c27281041-a.jpg

I was the purchaser in that Teletrade auction, and that particular coin currently looks like the photo you posted. The photos I took are not very good.

c27281041-a.jpg

I was the purchaser in that Teletrade auction, and that particular coin currently looks like the photo you posted. The photos I took are not very good.

From the image, this coin appears to already been "played with" and the results came out badly. :( I recommend leaving "as is" and selling it to a copper dealer. Once this Lincoln is out of a holder, I do not think it will come graded by any service. Even NCS can't work miracles on every coin.

TRUTH

Leave the coin as is. This coin would end up in a "genuine" PCGS or NGC holder for color and/or environmental damage.

TRUTH

The TRUTH, the WHOLE TRUTH, and nothing BUT the TRUTH!! I thought the same thing (environmental damage) at first glance. I'm no expert on Lincolns, but it sure looks like environmental damage to me. I'd throw it on ebay....someone will bite...and you'd be better off. As was said...NCS can't help every coin, and I'd bet this is one of them. Save the fees by sending it all over creation, and put it up on ebay.

c27281041-a.jpg

From the image, this coin appears to already been "played with" and the results came out badly. :( I recommend leaving "as is" and selling it to a copper dealer. Once this Lincoln is out of a holder, I do not think it will come graded by any service. Even NCS can't work miracles on every coin.

Why not let NCS take a look at it? If they can't improve it, they will tell you.

TRUTH

While some of the results I have seen (from other postings) appear impressive, I don't think they are going to be able to save this Lincoln. I would leave it in its holder and put it on eBay. As I said previously, someone will bid. Once the coin is removed from its holder, I don't think that anyone (except maybe SGS) will slab it.

Edited to add: My advice to you would be to post a picture of this coin on the ask NCS forum. Maybe they can give you some preliminary advice, but I suspect this is going to be one of those "we need to see it in hand" responses.

I have walked away from a few 'graded' MPLs and proof buffalo nickels in minor service holders - that may or may not have been actually a proof without a problem.

They always trade at a discount to PCGS/NGC comparable label - but always way higher than the business strike values.

My suggestion would be NCS/NGC with your coin - even a genuine NGC/PCGS proof grade would get you more than most people would be willing to pay for your PCI slab.