• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jefferson Nickel 1945-D GTG

Guess the Assigned Grade  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Guess the Assigned Grade

18 posts in this topic

Guess the grade of this NGC Generation 3 1945-D Jefferson Nickel in the attached Poll

JN1945-DNGCMSXX.jpg

JN1945-DNGCMSXXSteps.jpg

Please give you reasons for your grade if you want. Thanks

The rule of Jefferson Nickels:

4 lines = 5 full steps

5 lines = 6 full steps

I didn't quite say it right but that is what I meant. The top step is considered 1 step, then there are 5 lines below that indicating the rest of the steps to designate the 5 or 6 Full Steps. I think I said it right Paul. lol

I vote 66 5FS

the nick on cheek, clatter on jaw, and 2-3 light carbon spots limit it to 66 imho

although if luster/colors pop, would not be totally surprised in 67 and also not totally surprised w/o 5FS as a little weakness below pillar 2, not sure when they started FS designations, but guessing they had it by GEN 3, if not then no FS and probably 67.

The rule of Jefferson Nickels:

4 lines = 5 full steps

5 lines = 6 full steps

Thanks for clarifying. This is probably one of the few times that I am ecstatic to be wrong. I have a few San Francisco mint silver war nickels (42-S and 45-S) in old NGC fatties (back before 5 step coins received a FS designation) that should upgrade on designation review (i.e. receive a 5FS designation). While I thought that some other coins would upgrade, I had attributed these as having 4 steps. You made my day.

With regards to your coin, I'll change my vote from MS67 to MS67 5FS. I like your coin.

Thread has been dormant for more than 24 hours. NGC did not recognize 5FS until 2/16/2004. Until then, NGC used the FS designation which required the coin to have 6 full steps to qualify. This coin resides in a generation 3 NGC holder circa 1987-88. Therefore, the coin could not have been graded with a 5FS designation despite the fact that is does have 5 full steps. Okay, so who was the joker who guessed MS65?

JN1945-DNGCMS65.jpg

For the record, I think this coin belongs in an MS66 5FS holder and it would not seem out of place in an NGC MS67 5FS holder. I paid $12 for this coin in February of 2008.

Paul, I saw a couple of War Nickels that would have knocked your socks off at David Lawrence's table. Both were MS-67, and had toning that was out of this world. Of course, they wanted $1500 for the nicer of the two.