• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Gold Be Strong in 2012?

57 posts in this topic

gold and silver spot prices will be mixed in 2012 and end the year lacklustre

now 2013 and beyond WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

better date scarce to rare gold coins with choice surfaces and color

will be IN DEMAND in 2012

the key is color and surfaces with specific dates, demoninations, mintmarks or not and varieties a close second

angel's and hammered gold along with una and the lion will be in great demand!

you can add roman and byzantine gold to the mix

So you are assuming that the Mayans are not correct? lol

At some point, as long as we continue to print 1.5 trillion in new dollars every year (we have to because the government is only taking in around 2.3 trillion, and sending out around 3.8 or more and that increases every year) the dollar will collapse. If someone has the gonads in government to cut 1 trillion out of the federal budget, then sell your gold. But that will never happen, so don't worry about what gold does, just buy it.

If gold goes down in 2012 it will only be a hiccup in its 11 year upward trend, for the reasons stated by MBA101 above. I don't see that happening but I have been wrong before ( on more than one occasion) ;)

The answer to this is not as simplistic as one may think. Strong is a relative term. Should the Euro collapse, which I think is likely, gold will be strong relative to the Euro, and pending any unexpected financial meltdown in the US, the dollar should be strong and then gold would be weak relative to the dollar.

However, the only viable scenario to help mitigate the huge US debt and have any hope of revitalizing the economy is for a weak dollar policy, so there are competing factors in play. Having said that, my feel is that in US dollar terms, gold will be volatile and channel between $1400 and $1900 per oz.

I have got to say that I am an optimist - gold will continue its slide and the economy will continue to improve. Congress will somehow find a way to work together and show some fiscal responsibility. Europe will emerge with an improving economy by the end of the year. All of this is not in gold's best interest for a strong year. Is that optimistic or what? (shrug)

Also, what about the multi-billion dollar gold jewelry market?

If gold keeps going up and up i.e. doubles what it currently is, then many consumers will not be able to afford the jewelry that they want and they will not buy it anymore.

Don't you think that this will impact gold's price?? Just an idea.

If gold keeps going up and up i.e. doubles what it currently is, then many consumers will not be able to afford the jewelry that they want and they will not buy it anymore.

For those on the margin regarding affordability, 18k and 14k gold will simply be displaced by 10k gold. I wouldn't be surprised to see such trends already happening.

The way our economy is now and what's happening in Europe :eek: I believe the once mighty dollar is going to be devalued by 30%-40% in the next few months then watch Gold and Silver soar. You heard it here. :roflmao: :roflmao:

A lot of very insightful predictions. I predict it will be volitile throughout 2012 and then beyond that will be greatly dependent on the 2012 elections for both congress and the president.

At some point, as long as we continue to print 1.5 trillion in new dollars every year (we have to because the government is only taking in around 2.3 trillion, and sending out around 3.8 or more and that increases every year) the dollar will collapse. If someone has the gonads in government to cut 1 trillion out of the federal budget, then sell your gold. But that will never happen, so don't worry about what gold does, just buy it.

Right now there is a far larger threat than just the unwillingness of mother nature to allow one to extract more than what is put in. The real threat is the "full faith and credit of the US government". The value of the dollar is based solely on faith. If the government is going to allow the banks to steal then nothing can stand. When trust is lost it can be impossible to regain. Even appeals to God will not restore the trust of the people.

We teeter on the precipice as Washington fiddles.

A lot of very insightful predictions. I predict it will be volitile throughout 2012 and then beyond that will be greatly dependent on the 2012 elections for both congress and the president.

The House and Senate are going to the repub's almost for sure. The White House to the dem's. Make your bets based on that. MJ

i just read that CLCT, which is pcgs's holding company, bot coinflation website for 750,000

pretty interesting.

also interesting was CLCT's 8.90 % dividend, i wonder if they will be able to keep paying that. seems pretty steep. they also had a bunch of insider sale's.

i like to watch it just for obvious reasons, but personally, i wouldnt throw a dime at it.

So you are assuming that the Mayans are not correct? lol

Bingo! With SS, Medicare/Medicaid set to go parabolic over the next few years? $2500 gold in the next few years is a given.

Fishy, True, but at some point, the fed is going to have to resolve the entitlement issue, I think they will and that it will not go parabolic in costs - so will that affect the gold price?

Fishy, True, but at some point, the fed is going to have to resolve the entitlement issue, I think they will and that it will not go parabolic in costs - so will that affect the gold price?

The Fed cannot resolve the entitlement issue, only Congress can pass laws to change it. We have a dysfunctional (and corrupt) system of career politicians who cannot (and will not) sacrifice their careers for the greater good.

The hand-writing is on the wall and there is little chance of turning back barring an act of God. Half our country needs entitlements to survive and now know they can vote themselves money.

P.S. I hope I'm wrong and we miraculously turn the Titantic around on a dime, a Draped Bust Dime of course! :wishluck:

My predictions are as follows:

The dollar will be in high to very high demand globally, as other nations, currencies and economies experience growing economic, social, and political instability. Due to risk mitigation practices that would be employed as a result of such circumstances (it's already happening), the dollar and dollar based instruments will experience high demand (The US owns or controls tremendous essential resources and has the ability to protect those interests - dollars are a must). Thus prices for gov't debt, as well as MBSs will continue to rise, driving rates lower, which will be great for homeowners, consumers, and business/industry. The strengthening will actually work to ease many issues within the US, as the environment will be conducive to an expansion of the monetary base, (with dollars in demand, and highly valued, we can print more and claim we are helping stabilze the fallout from the world's problems - the big creditors won't complain, because it means they'll be getting paid (as opposed to being in default) and the resulting relative net purchasing power of their holdings will not have decreased). The majority of the "new" money will be directed at domestic programs that will spur US growth/recovery and exert an easing effect on the overall credit crunch. When necessary and prudent, tax reform will become a reality, and legal/tax/economic clarity will come to fruition, which will facilitate re-investment and provide focus to US businesses and industry, allowing for more confident longer term planning and investment. The CME will continue to manage margin requirements for instruments related to gold/silver to prohibit undesirable movement and/or posturing by unfriendly participants (this occurred many times in 2011 for both gold/silver), but the overall trend should be downward for the year as a whole, when viewed from a dollar based reference, of course.

There is a lot of dry powder in this keg, just waiting to be used for a good cause - Stay behind the blast...

My 2.5 cents worth. (This is not investment advice)

This is the problem with any entity with a democratic voting system where the dependant class begins to outnumber the productive class, as they will vote the coffers dry if given the chance.

I propose that we first emphasize that public assistance is not a long term solution. Reiterate that it is a Voluntary action on the part of the recipient to receive such assistance and, next, implement the requirement that those who Voluntarily elect to request such support be bound by the condition that any individual who continues to receive such assistance for a period in excess of x of the last y years, say in excess of 2 of the last 4 years, shall become ineligible to cast votes in public elections until such time as they have returned to being productive members of society or Voluntarily elect to no longer receive public assistance for a period of time sufficient to bring them within the 2 of 4 limit.

I liken this to my inviting a neighbor into my home after his home tragically burns to the ground. I offer, my support, and the efforts of my years of hard work, in his time of need, but I'll be damned if he has a say what "free meal" he receives come dinner time. It's not an adoption, it's getting someone back on their feet.

Any individual who truly values their right to vote would have considerable motivation to get off the gov't tit and produce, and/or Freely Choose not to receive the aid to begin with (These guys would be the first that I would hire as a business owner). leaders would love that the votes of the "freeloader" class that this impacts, people who predominantly favor the democratic candidates, would have voting power constrained, and Democratic lawmakers/leader would then have a legitimate and powerful motivation (the loss of votes) to create an environment conducive to low unemployment, which would benefit those truly wanting to work and improve their lives beyond that which gov't aid can provide.

Of course, another option is to just keep the vote tallying methodologies and systems close to the vest... Gotta love the computer age...

That's a good post SWNGC.

This sentance says a lot and I agree, "The CME will continue to manage margin requirements for instruments related to gold/silver to prohibit undesirable movement and/or posturing by unfriendly participants (this occurred many times in 2011 for both gold/silver), but the overall trend should be downward for the year as a whole, when viewed from a dollar based reference, of course."

We can hold off the inevitable for a year, maybe two. The medium term of 5-10 years is where it will not be pretty.

For those on the margin regarding affordability, 18k and 14k gold will simply be displaced by 10k gold. I wouldn't be surprised to see such trends already happening.

Even in Asia the high price of gold hasn't detered buying high carat gold jewelry. I read where they are just making the larger pieces hollow ... the look is there but the weight is smaller ...

Even in Asia the high price of gold hasn't detered buying high carat gold jewelry. I read where they are just making the larger pieces hollow ... the look is there but the weight is smaller ...

...like the chocolate Easter bunnies

If anyone here knew, they would not be posting that information.

Maybe it's linked to orange juice carton printing....?

The only thing no one seems to be invested in, is cash.

Disagree emphatically and the numbers would support this. There has never been so many on the sidelines.

The dollar vs The euro. A race to the bottom. MJ