• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Gold Be Strong in 2012?

57 posts in this topic

Gold is now at $1725 (2/17/12), which is not quite the highest price for 2012 but it is up over 7% for the year in just 7 weeks. This is interesting given what is clearly an improving economy in the US. So what is driving the price? The rise is not un-similar to the price of oil rise in 2012. If Europe resolves its issues, then what happens? Does India's and China's desire for gold continue to drive the price up?

Best, HT

Higher gold prices have, for the most part, allowed dealers to scap the bid system on most gold coins and pay close to spot. Many gold coins are at their lowest pricing level in many years because of this slippage. I have been a selective buyer at these prices in the past 18 months but the gap is closing fast and as gold prices go higher, this phenomena is slipping away. However, there may be some correction of prices on gold coins as the metal prices peak and stabilise. This may be an opportunity, longer term.

I am not a player, so what I do has no effect on anything. I am just selectively replacing some coins that I sold higher a couple, three years ago. I sold some Civil War gold and am replacing it with selected pieces.

Nice half eagle, HardTimes.

The way our economy is now and what's happening in Europe :eek: I believe the once mighty dollar is going to be devalued by 30%-40% in the next few months then watch Gold and Silver soar. You heard it here. :roflmao: :roflmao:

The USD cannot be devalued unless it is first pegged to something first. This is true of any freely traded currency. It can depreciate but that is different and not determined by government decree..

Maybe on the short term, but the austerity measures in Europe over the long term (decade or two?) I think will strengthen the Euro over the dollar.

The only possibility of the Euro surviving longer term (forget about strengthening) under its current arrangement is for political union to follow monetary union. I would consider that outcome to be complete idiocy but that is not to say that it will not be preferred over there and occur.

This will be necessary to make the "transfer union" which is necessary to enable the debtors countries which are running perpetual trade deficits to be able to "pay" for the surplus which a country like Germany creates.

The more likely outcome that I see is for several countries to exit the Eurozone over the next few years. Several of those countries (Greece, Ireland and probably Portugal now) are in depression at this time and the status quo is completely unsustainable. Not because I say so, but because the math just does not work.

As most of your are, I am hoping the silver and gold market rises this year. I am not a big gold coin collector, silver coins are my area but if I can get gold bullion at good prices I go for it. I don't know about any of you guys but around july 2011, I added several non-ferrius metals stock shares to my investment portfolio. As of august 2011, I am at a gain, but overall, the stocks are at a loss. The 52 week high for SLW (Silver Wheaton Corp) is $47.60, and slowly but surely, that stock has been getting close to that point.

I can say I believe the market has great potential to rise to $2,000/oz for gold and $60.00/oz for silver. Either way, it is unpredictable. (shrug)

:idea:

Either way, it is unpredictable.

+1 ↑

I definitely agree. If we could predict the market we would own an 1804 dollar by now and be smoking cigars and enjoying the finest wine in the world. :D

CC

:signfunny:

If only it was as easy as shaking a magic 8 ball..... Will investing in silver and gold make me rich this year?! :wishluck: *shakes ball* Magic 8 ball comes up with- "try again later" :frustrated::pullhair:

gold GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AGE bullion/fractionals at current fair retail over spot.............. good

proof AGEbullion/fractionals at current fair retail over spot.................... better

pre 1933 slabbed pcgs/ngc au58-ms67 for value/opportunity ----------------------BEST

so, I'm with you on the fractional gold, but why the numismatics? Just curious. If the siht hits the fan, are there really going to be lots of folks wanting to buy up earlier graded gold coins?

so, I'm with you on the fractional gold, but why the numismatics? Just curious. If the siht hits the fan, are there really going to be lots of folks wanting to buy up earlier graded gold coins?

i dont think that the siht will hit the fan so to speak i have heard gloom and doom for 45+ years in the coin game and i just dont think it will happen

in other words i dont see hyper inflation where there will be anarchy in the streets and those that got the gold will not be able to spend it while the other 99.99% that dont have it will let them and the gold will be dumped in the streets worthless as you cant eat it and it cant keep your warm or keep your blood sugar down like insulin can if you need it as a diabetic in fact for example if you need insulin those that have it will not give it to you for all the gold in the world now if you got food well sure then you got a trade

you need an orderly society to dispose of the gold you got and accept some sort of payment also i believe in the strength of mankind to solve its problems and move forward in the world and if not completely solve all their problems then make it through many difficult problems we see today with better and increased technology

i guess time will tell

but ultimately

i do think that gold will go higher and the rich will get richer and numismatic gold will look as attractive if not moreso then gold bullion as carefully selected gold numismatic coins the rarer the better will grow more percentage wise than gold bullion itself as numismatic gold is much more coveted and rare then bullion and there has been quite a past demand for rarer date gold and i think this scenerio will continue

now of course ALSO having a stash of bullion is a good diversation of assets

just my opinions based on my experiences in the coin game the last 45+ years

again i guess time will tell

+1.

I agree with your point about numismatic gold being worth more than gold bullion when gold rises higher. The same with silver. I have both 90 silver coins and .999 silver bars and rounds.

Personally, I would rather just have silver coins because when silver was at around $45.00 last year, I sold some raw silver coins and .999 bars. I was paid $39.00 per 1oz bar, and $43.50 per 1oz in 90% silver coins. I asked the dealer why he paid more for the coin when they contain a lesser amount of pure silver. He told me it was because silver bars are just silver bullion, made in a private mint, not date, just the serial # and company name, and will be worth what silver spot is. A silver coin is numismatic, it has a date and place of minting and some coins are worth more than just spot due to many factors.

All this talk about gold and silver, what about copper? I know that it is worth far less than the others but do you think it will be more sought after in a crisis? Think about it...Every house has copper pipes, appliances have copper and there is probably more copper products from pure copper bullion and coins to copper plumbing in the United States than gold or silver bullion. AND what I think will make it the "trade of choice" IF we end up in a monetary crisis or disaster is the fact that anyone can obtain it from many places, and use a propane torch to melt it into small pieces to trade with.

Thats JMO though.

-Dave

Maybe on the short term, but the austerity measures in Europe over the long term (decade or two?) I think will strengthen the Euro over the dollar.

The only possibility of the Euro surviving longer term (forget about strengthening) under its current arrangement is for political union to follow monetary union. I would consider that outcome to be complete idiocy but that is not to say that it will not be preferred over there and occur.

This will be necessary to make the "transfer union" which is necessary to enable the debtors countries which are running perpetual trade deficits to be able to "pay" for the surplus which a country like Germany creates.

I have been reading your drivel about this same gloom and doom thing for 6 years. You have no cred or standing with me regarding your evil intentions and thoughts for this country and had had sincerely hoped that you moved to Canada or the SAR by now! I hope to say the same thing to your unamerican remarks 6 years from now!

You are just another "forum fixture" of bad will toward your own country. Out, evil spot! We need help and hard work not snottiness from some parasite!

Gold is still working its way up, this morning it was at $1768.

OT3 not sure if you were referring to me or world colonial in the post above. In either case, pretty harsh words and when I read the words in quotes by both of us, it seems it has nothing to do with 'this country'? (shrug)

I certainly have not posted bad will toward my own country so I will assume your post is directed at world colonial. Care to explain the harsh post?

Best, HT

Hard Times, I was not certainly singling you out and the post was intended for World Colonial and his evil revisionist view of what the United States is does and stands for. I am just truly sick of the verbal uri**ators who think it is their appointed duty to pass an unfavorable grade on their own country and at the same time contribute nothing towards helping to fix the myriad of issues that trouble us. It must be a real luxury to sit back a mock the US Government and do nothing to help but whine, whine, whine!

I think gold will continue to hold strong in 2012, especially later in the year with the Y2k type hysteria that might occur. (speculation, of course) People will start hoarding gold beginning in August, then after ppl realize we haven't blown up, we'll see a dip in prices. IMO.

Oh... that's right... I forgot... The world is going to end this year... dang... You know, if you guys want, since your coins are all going to be just weighing you down and keeping you from fleeing the apocalypse, I will make you a deal. Just send me all of your collections now and I will take care of them, forfeiting my own safety to be able to flee to whatever safe zone may be available in order to protect your coins. I know it's hard to believe I would offer, but that's just the kind of deep, caring, considerate guy I am.....way down deep inside... No need to thank me, I just want to make sure you all are safe....

I think gold will continue to hold strong in 2012, especially later in the year with the Y2k type hysteria that might occur. (speculation, of course) People will start hoarding gold beginning in August, then after ppl realize we haven't blown up, we'll see a dip in prices. IMO.

Y2K = year 2000 ???

I don't understand your comment.

I think Jobessi was referring to the predictions by some that the world will end since the Aztec calendar runs out this year and doesn't go on into the future. This has caused some to speculate that they (the Aztecs) knew the world would end in 2012, therefore that's why the calendar doesn't go past this year. He is drawing a parallel between this and the hype that surrounded the Y2K concern that would bring civilization to it's knees on January 1 2000 when all the computers clicked over on their internal date/time....

But it's all true! Send me your coins now before it's too late!!!!

Y2K = year 2000 ???

I think (although I could be wrong), that the key to understanding the comment is "... Y2k TYPE hysteria ...".

It is a comparison based statement of what did occur in 2000, vs. what MIGHT occur now.

I think.....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Y2K = year 2000 ???

I think (although I could be wrong), that the key to understanding the comment is "... Y2k TYPE hysteria ...".

It is a comparison based statement of what did occur in 2000, vs. what MIGHT occur now.

I think.....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Thanks! I overlooked the word "type." I don't think speculation will result from any predicted cataclysmic event like Y2K (or if it is, it will be minimal). I do, however, expect speculation as a result of geopolitical tensions in the Middle East and economic tumult in the Euro Zone and the U.S. (given the debt crisis). I'm not trying to be political, but the current administration is seen as an over spender, and I think his reelection would also drive speculation and higher gold prices (provided that Obama is reelected or if polls favor him significantly as we approach the U.S. Presidential Election).

Y2K = year 2000 ???

I think.....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Thanks! I overlooked the word "type." I don't think speculation will result from any predicted cataclysmic event like Y2K (or if it is, it will be minimal). I do, however, expect speculation as a result of geopolitical tensions in the Middle East and economic tumult in the Euro Zone and the U.S. (given the debt crisis). I'm not trying to be political, but the current administration is seen as an over spender, and I think his reelection would also drive speculation and higher gold prices (provided that Obama is reelected or if polls favor him significantly).

I am only qualified to answer the "thanks" part of your very interesting observations.

So:You are welcome.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

gold GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bullion good

pre 1933 usa federal mint generic gold better

pre 1933 usa federal mint rare date gold best

combo of better and best-------------------- the ultimate

Hard Times, I was not certainly singling you out and the post was intended for World Colonial and his evil revisionist view of what the United States is does and stands for. I am just truly sick of the verbal uri**ators who think it is their appointed duty to pass an unfavorable grade on their own country and at the same time contribute nothing towards helping to fix the myriad of issues that trouble us. It must be a real luxury to sit back a mock the US Government and do nothing to help but whine, whine, whine!

Thanks for the clarification OT3, Best, HT