• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB -- Calling all woodworkers-- slab wooden box makers...

43 posts in this topic

For great looking (and well constructed) slab displays check this out:

finehomedisplays.com

BX-78055 Coin Box - Five Slab $36.89

I just received my order and my 25th Anniv SAE's look great in them.

For great looking (and well constructed) slab displays check this out:

finehomedisplays.com

BX-78055 Coin Box - Five Slab $36.89

I just received my order and my 25th Anniv SAE's look great in them.

cool website, thanks.

First box, (RE)learned a lot of things while making this box...lol. Haven't used my woodworking skills in probably a decade or more. It's very therapudic though. Thoughts?

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

Going to add felt to the inside of the lid, but that is about the only change.

mtnstyne,

Great job, I can see that old mind of yours still works.

What specimen of wood is that---Birch? Thanks for letting us see the finish product. It seems Toner Guy is going to need 4 or 5 of those. You may need to start an assembly line.

Later---Rick

My guess is that it would cause toning and/or spotting especially on copper. The boxes look nice, but I would never use them on valuable coins.

Not necessarily. I had coins in albums touching sulfur laced paper that did not tone and/or spot after years of direct exposure... So its more than just the holder, its also the environment.

Some environments (hot, humid and with good air flow) are more conducive to toning that the stale stagnant air that you find in a safe or safety deposit box.

But yes I agree I would not place expensive coins in that environment. I dont consider proof coins from the late 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s expensive though.

mtnstyne,

Nice looking box. I also was going to make on of these but just have not had a free minute to do so. I dont have a capital holder, and want to make sure the thickness is correct, can you verify the 5/16" mesurement for the thickness is correct.

Thanks, Nick

What specimen of wood is that---Birch? Thanks for letting us see the finish product.

This one is birch top/bottom with poplar sides. I have some oak for the top/bottom as well but it is more difficult to work with. I would like to find a better place to buy some nice solid wood in the local area but haven't had time to search anything out. If I find myself making a few of these I will take the time to do so.

very nice

do you feel glue/stain may have any effect on coin toning?

I don't think the wood glue is much to worry about, I use is sparingly and the excess is wiped and sanded off. It also dries very solid.

The glue used for the felt is crafting glue which is acid free, safe for scrapbooking so I think that should reduce some effects as well.

As far as the stain...very strong and smelly so I would think this may have the most effect. I have considered sealing the whole box in a polyurethane as that seems to dry very solid as well with little residual vapor. For this case Toneyguy asked for it to be stained so it is, it would be easier actually to leave it plain wood and skip that step and I like the look of natural wood myself.

Maybe one of the "science" guys on here can weigh in on their thoughts.

mtnstyne,

Nice looking box. I also was going to make on of these but just have not had a free minute to do so. I dont have a capital holder, and want to make sure the thickness is correct, can you verify the 5/16" mesurement for the thickness is correct.

Thanks, Nick

I found that when I made my gap 5/16" the screws would get stuck in the slot even without the felt. If you are going to make one I would recommend using 1/2" if you are going to add the felt. The holders don't move around much at all and it isn't too tight.

Once I figured the gap I built a sled jig for my table saw to make all the cuts symetrical, makes life a lot easier. The worst part of the process is sanding...I hate sanding. Right now I have basic small hand and power tools so if I find myself making more than a few of these I will be updating equipment.

Here is the bigger box without the hardware attached yet. It is oak top and bottom. I like this look a lot better and it was much smoother a second time around.

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg