• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A real 1928P Peace

15 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

So there's some talk about the 1923P Peace dollar I posted being a 1928P.

Here's a few images of a real 1928P dollar and what I see:

528498694_o.jpg

528498706_o.jpg

The obverse looks clean. The hair is pretty well defined. Her cheek is clean, but there is a scratch above the "1". The luster looks original. I say the obverse is a MS 63

The reverse is a different story to me. There are bag marks, including a prevalent one above "LL". The luster looks weird. Kinda dull. Is this a sign of cleaning? Or is it just "dirty"? What about the black stuff in between the rays at the bottom of the coin? With that said, I say the reverse is AU 58, maybe MS 60.

How far off am I?

Bryan

:popcorn:

I will watch and learn as well. I have never put much effort into learning peace dollars but to me I think you underestimate the reverse. I would guess overall grade is MS63.

I am always amazed at how weak the "PEACE" is on these.

I can't tell from the images whether it's a 58 or as high as a 62-63. They don't allow for a good/clear enough look at the devices and fields to see if there are signs of light circulation. My guess is that there might be.

there are some funny lines going from 2 o'clock to 6 o'clock on lower obverse

I can not tell from pic whether die polish, lightly cleaned, or lightly circulated

what about the other coin you showed as a 1923, is it still in the mail?

Very nice coin! I think I see numerous hairlines on Liberty's neck and the obverse fields from 3 o'clock to 7 o'clock -- these are a killer from a TPG standpoint and would limit the grade to MS62 max, in my opinion. It could also be a solid AU58, depending on how much luster is broken on the high points....