• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

51 posts in this topic

When they announced the 25th year ASE set I let some of my friends know about the release that I thought might want to know. I wanted a set form myself, my father wanted a set also. One of my friends wanted one for both him and his son who collect coins. There was also a YN who is the younger brother of a former friend. The family of the YN (mother, father, sister, and brother) wanted to go in together and get a set for this YN and give it to him for Christmas. This was a total of 5 sets that was needed together so I got a everyone's schedule and the person that was off the day they were released was in charge of ordering them. This was back when there was a lot of talk about the sets being priced $360 to $400 and everyone was fine with the cost. It just so happened that I was off that day along with the friend that wanted 2 sets. After hours of trying online for about 1 hour and 40 minutes my order went threw. I contacted my friend that was also trying to order and let him know I have gotten them ordered so he would stop trying as we didn't need 5 more sets.

I also contacted the family of the YN letting them know I had gotten them ordered and when they would be shipped. They seemed pleased and said they would get me a check in a few weeks. I was fine with this as it was going to be about that long until my card was charged anyway. Of course in the back of my mind I was thinking "I guess it is a good thing I didn't use my debit card and needed that money" Less then a week later the family contacted me upset saying they didn't realize the set was going to be $300 and they never agreed to pay that much and didn't want the set. I being the Smart I am showed them the emails with me suggesting the price as being $360 to $400 and there reply was "as long as it is under $400 for the set get one for us." The reply to that was they were never told the price (even thought they were holding the printed email with the price highlighted) So I let them know that it is fine if they don't want it, I will just either keep it or sale it I just wanted to let them know I was upfront and honest about the price as they were acting like I was trying to pull a fast one on them.

So this family has never paid me anything for the sets and said they did not want one. I guess in the last few days one of them has been looking on ebay and saw how much these sets are going for. Today I got a email saying they think I need to pay them $300 for there set they never paid me for. There logic if you can call it that is that the sets are going to $600+ so I could sale it and get my money back and should give them the extra $300 because "if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have and extra set to sale so I shouldn't make money on them"

I figured it best not to reply when I first read the email and I have been known to have a bad temper. I personally do not think I own this family anything. I was being nice to let them letting them know about the set. I offered to order them one. I was then told it would be 2 weeks for payment. They then canceled the order leaving me with a $300 set of coins to try to make my money back on. Is there anyone out there that feels differently?

Wow, that's incredible!

When my friend won big in Vegas I should have told him "if it wasn't for me inviting you, you would have never won that money so GIVE ME HALF!"

The request is shameful and in my opinion they had their opportunity.

Talk about "snooze you lose"

OP

Your post is a bit difficult to follow.

But if I understand it correctly, at a certain point, you were told that they didn't want the set, because it was over $300. And they had never paid you anything for it. But, more recently, upon learning of the current going rate, they want you to fork over $300 of the profit you can make on it.

If the above is accurate, you owe them nothing. And I am confident that if, the price had dropped after they said they didn't want the set, they wouldn't be making up any of your loss.

What would I do? Tell them to "take a hike". Another would be "go play on the freeway". Or, as my mom used to say "go jump in the lake". Then there's the classic "kiss my..." Ok...well...I'll stop now. :whistle:

jom

That is ABSURDLY ridiculous!!!!!!

They never paid you a dime and they want YOU to pay THEM for YOUR profit!!!!????

That is just a remarkable set of B@!!$

DON'T GIVE THEM A RED CENT>>>>>>PLEASE!!!

You could always play dumb and just never respond to the email claiming you owe them $300 and go about your merry way.. or claim that the $300 profit you might make will just about cover your headaches and expenses of selling the 2nd set so in fact there was no profit made. :)

Even if they pay up the $300, right now; I STILL wouldn't give the set to them!

Just because of their pompous attitude and their total lack of humility and the fact that they were, very likely, going to stiff you.

Also, because of the fact that it is now worth much more (this is the only reason that they show interest).

Besides, they are STILL not offering to pay, anyway!

Some peoples' children!!

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!

Their mixed up logic makes absolutely no sense.

If you paid for the set, then it is yours. One possibility (true or not) is that they could have told you they wanted a set and told you to cancel the order so they could get $300 out of you. All ways this means that they got $300 out of you for nothing. Don't fork over the cash to these m0rons! :ohnoez:

I just can't believe the gall of these people! Don't pay them a cent and NEVER include them in a coin offer again!

I can remember when I had a ring from a "Boiler Room " broker offering me some share in a company .

It was at $2 or something . I told him I wasn't interested but he rang me back the next day to tell me that they were holding a few thousand for me and that my price was locked in at $2 but they were now trading at $2.50

Wow 25 % profit . When I told him to sell them and send me the money he couldn't quite grasp the concept from my side lol

You don't owe them anything. They passed when they could have / should have paid and now they want the sets because they see a chance to flip them.

You should not be responsible for taking all the risk. They took none of the risk and now want to reap the rewards. You have a perfect right to tell them, "No."

If you want to try and keep peace with them send them an email explaining that when they backed out on the set you made arrangements with someone else and you don't have that extra set that you had originally ordered for them.

If you want to try and keep peace with them send them an email explaining that when they backed out on the set you made arrangements with someone else and you don't have that extra set that you had originally ordered for them.

I wouldn't lie! I'd tell them exactly what I think of them!

Don't send them a dime!

Chris

Instead of getting mad, which was my first reaction (and I'm not even involved!!), I think that I would probably just laugh in their face, because it is, just simply, so utterly ridiculous!! :frustrated:

I was planning on buying 10,000 shares of the Intel IPO, but I changed my mind. I think they should send me all of the past stock dividends just because I was considering it.

Chris

I was planning on buying 10,000 shares of the Intel IPO, but I changed my mind. I think they should send me all of the past stock dividends just because I was considering it.

Chris

+1

I would reply that I probably would not be selling the set for $300 profit, that I have decided to wait until it reaches $1000 profit, but if it drops I would send them a bill for the total of the coins and the loss of profit, if that is ok? Seems perfectly logical to me and surely these people would understand profit and loss logic---right up their alley.

Should you elect to give them anything, I would lose much respect for your value system.

You are lucky you have found out what kind of friends these WERE!

Jim