• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you purchase a coin from a dealer that offered no refund option?

43 posts in this topic

No I wouldn't .

If I had been looking for a specific coin for a while and when it arrived was not what I was after , how long would it be until that dealer found something else that fitted the bill

This is even more so if the dealer specializes in a certain type of coinage

Depends on the dealer and how much I like his stuff. There are some dealers I've told to "hold the money, I'll be back".

But generally, no, I would not buy if I couldn't return it for a refund.

Lance.

No I would NOT.

The stuff that I buy is too pricey and very specific.

The chances of me getting another one from the same dealer are almost null, especially, if I feel that I got a decent price.

One good point to make is that the major auction houses state that they DO NOT allow returns on coins purchased from their big auctions.

I have never been unhappy enough with a purchase to complain about it.

I would complain, though, if I was very unhappy and if the coin DID NOT look like the image and alot of money was involved.

Has anyone ever tried to return a coin to Heritage or Stack's Bowers from a big auction?? If so, what happened??

No...I would not. I need to SEE all coins I purchase.

As to auctions I just can't get myself to bid on coins I haven't seen. I did it once with a Heritage auction and I wasn't completely happy with it...not bad mind you...but still. I don't think I'd do it again.

I had a dealer tell me at a show, after I had suggested he use photos on his web site, that he almost NEVER gets a return. He says his customers know him and he can describe the coins good enough. I found it hard to believe but there it is....

jom

One good point to make is that the major auction houses state that they DO NOT allow returns on coins purchased from their big auctions.

I would complain, though, if I was very unhappy and if the coin DID NOT look like the image and alot of money was involved.

Has anyone ever tried to return a coin to Heritage or Stack's Bowers from a big auction?? If so, what happened??

Yes, I have. I was unhappy with two IHC's I won at a Heritage auction a year or two ago. I called and was told their policy was no returns but if I submitted a written explanation of why the coins didn't meet expectations one of their "reviewers" would make a decision.

I did, and sent good images, and subsequently got a full refund. It wasn't painful at all.

Lance.

Yes, I have. I was unhappy with two IHC's I won at a Heritage auction a year or two ago. I called and was told their policy was no returns but if I submitted a written explanation of why the coins didn't meet expectations one of their "reviewers" would make a decision.

I did, and sent good images, and subsequently got a full refund. It wasn't painful at all.

Lance.

THANK YOU, Lance. That is something that I have always wondered about.

At least I know, now, that I have would SOME recourse on the unlikely chance that that may ever happen.

I appreciate the info.

After buying a coin based on a digital image via the web if returned your only option was credit towards another inventory item hm

Go on over to E Bay and the 25th Anniversary Eagle and see how many dealers state " No Returns" on them. Not just "NO Refunds". but " NO Returns".

After buying a coin based on a digital image via the web if returned your only option was credit towards another inventory item hm

Go on over to E Bay and the 25th Anniversary Eagle and see how many dealers state " No Returns" on them. Not just "NO Refunds". but " NO Returns".

I think that is a special case. Especially for sealed boxes for obvious reasons. But also for opened ones where the seller cannot be sure coins haven't been cherried and swapped.

Now if we're talking about a TPG-graded 25th anniversary ASE, then any dealer selling with "no returns" is probably concerned about potential swings in price. In the same way that bullion coins often have no returns.

Lance.

I think that is a special case. Especially for sealed boxes for obvious reasons. But also for opened ones where the seller cannot be sure coins haven't been cherried and swapped.

Now if we're talking about a TPG-graded 25th anniversary ASE, then any dealer selling with "no returns" is probably concerned about potential swings in price. In the same way that bullion coins often have no returns.

Lance.

Does not matter what ebay dealers say about 'NO RETURNS', buying on ebay means you have a full return policy, lol to anyone selling on ebay who thinks otherwise....... :roflmao:

Mr. H?

It seems to have that ring to it, doesn't it ?

No, I most likely wouldn't buy a coin without

a return for refund policy. Guess it depends

on what and with whom.

All dealers I use have sent me the coin on

approval prior to my actually purchasing it.

If a dealer is unwilling to do that and they

have a no return for refund policy, I'd probably

not do business with them.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know there could be a case where i would absolutely do this but it would be the exception rather than the rule

in other words it all depends on the coin and situation

Lance.

Does not matter what ebay dealers say about 'NO RETURNS', buying on ebay means you have a full return policy, lol to anyone selling on ebay who thinks otherwise....... :roflmao:

There is a separate E bay Policy that backs the Sale. There will be people who will believe it.

As for ROFLMAO.Neither E Bay or the Seller is going to be able to tum the unsealed boxes back into a sealed box so that all 5 coins get the special label.These people are out of luck unless they don't want it graded and just want to look at the raw coins. ROFLMAO

They are not concerned about price swings.They are concerned about people that buy them and find out that 3 of the 5 coins have immediately lost the 25th Anniversary value. That is the price swing that concerns them.They don't want to be stuck with the unsealed sets.You don't see E Bay making them pull the " No returns policy. ". I guess its just a coincidence that the ones selling the unsealed sets have the policy rofmlao

No way.

If I sell a coin it always comes with a full money back seven day guarantee. No ifs, ands or buts.

There is a dealer on eBay who lost hundreds or even thousands of dollars in business from me over the years because he wouldn't take a cleaned coin back.

His competition got that business because he did take one or two coins back without a wimper.

Man CHABSENTIA you really have a pebble in your shoe concerning these 25th Anniversary coins. Nice hijack of this thread.I doubt you even realize it. MJ

Of course I would, given appropriate circumstances. I have done so, and I will continue to do so. I just need to know the terms of purchase up front prior to making my decision.

You might want to think again, as that is definitely not true.

For example, if there is a picture, but no description, just try pulling that SNAD stuff, and you will be laughing out of the other side.

You might want to think again, as that is definitely not true.

For example, if there is a picture, but no description, just try pulling that SNAD stuff, and you will be laughing out of the other side.

Question do you sell on ebay? if so, then please give examples that this is not the case. In all cases where there is demonstrated proof that the buyer has returned the item to the seller, ebay will refund the money from the sellers account to the buyer. This is definitely true unless you have had a different experience on ebay than I and can show otherwise?