• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Common are Toned MS Walkers?

47 posts in this topic

I believe I read a thread somewhere where it was asserted that toned Walkers are not readily available. What say you? I'd like to believe, despite several years of high mintage in the series, that attractively toned examples will retain value.

This thread is also an excuse for me to post my example. I like the die polish and die cracks on the reverse, although for some, die polish lines are an undesirable feature.

27.jpg28.jpg

Hi Dan, LOVE the new WLH. That's a beautiful coin. I too like the die polish lines on the reverse, and the toning is very appealing. Is this one in your type set now? Are you withholding the grade for some guesses from folks here?

I have seen a few pleasantly toned WLHs, and others will have expert opinions/information for you in that regard. I hope you are doing well. And, good to see your post! I always know to expect a beautiful coin in your posts.

Cheers,

-Brandon

There are alot of toned Walkers out there. Many that are unsightlty and that have retoned after a dip.

HOWEVER, beautifully toned and COLORFUL examples such as yours are indeed quite rare and very much sought after!

Many collectors DON'T care for die polish lines as they don't like the looks of them. For me----I like them to a small degree. I own just one Walker with die polish lines and you have to almost look really hard just to see them. I believe that it adds character to the piece and it is also a nice coin. I don't like excessive die polish dies on a coin, though.

I don't care for die cracks, however. This can, in many cases (but not always), indicate a weak strike (from worn dies). The strike on your coin looks very full, however.

VERY NICE 1945 WLH! :applause:

There are alot of toned Walkers out there. Many that are unsightlty and that have retoned after a dip.

HOWEVER, beautifully toned and COLORFUL examples such as yours are indeed quite rare and very much sought after!

VERY NICE 1945 WLH! :applause:

What WF said.

Pretty coin(s)! (thumbs u

They are tough. I've looked for them nearly everyday for the past 6 years. Top dealers know I'm in the market and pay top prices. My phone seldom rings.......MJ

Hi Dan, LOVE the new WLH. That's a beautiful coin. I too like the die polish lines on the reverse, and the toning is very appealing. Is this one in your type set now? Are you withholding the grade for some guesses from folks here.

-Brandon

Thanks Mr. B for the kind words.

Such a beautiful design, one of my favorites.

C'mon, MJ. You know you have to post your beauties one more time!

That '43 walker is gorgeous! I've seen later date walkers with toning a decent amount. I think it has to do with mint set toning more than anything else or maybe dansco albums. But I don't recall seeing any early date ones.

I think it is similar to PEACE dollars

a few have color

very few have attractive color

the 1943 shown above, is probably one of the best I have seen

I've seen a few early dates with some nice toning. A 1927-S & 1928-S come to mind in particular that sold for MONUMENTAL premiums.

I've not seen any that come readily to mind from the 1916-1923 era. ALTHOUGH, I have seen some REALLY NICE ORIGINALLY toned coins of russet and gold but nothing of the rainbow variety.

I once saw a 1917 S OBV. that LOOKED to have some nice toning (blues & reds). I liked it because of the superior strike. It sold about 2 years ago through Heritage and was then recently auctioned off through Stack's Bowers. When it sold at HA the Hammer price was 6900. I dropped out of the Stack's auction, since the bidding reached 9200!!

I later saw it IN HAND and I found that the colors were from dip residue and it WAS NOT original. Luster was a bit muted as well but the strike WAS VERY GOOD! Finding a 17 S OBV. with original surfaces is a MAJOR achievement. I'll just wait for one with better surfaces at a more reasonable price. ;)

I later saw it IN HAND and I found that the colors were from dip residue and it WAS NOT original. Luster was a bit muted as well but the strike WAS VERY GOOD! Finding a 17 S OBV. with original surfaces is a MAJOR achievement. I'll just wait for one with better surfaces at a more reasonable price. ;)

And good luck finding a 19-D with a full strike. heh

Did you see Pryor's set when it went to sale? The 27-S was a great coin...Julian Leidman had it for awhile.... I also owned a 27-S with some rainbow (very slight) but I don't seem to have a photo of it...I thought I did.

jom

And good luck finding a 19-D with a full strike. heh

Did you see Pryor's set when it went to sale? The 27-S was a great coin...Julian Leidman had it for awhile.... I also owned a 27-S with some rainbow (very slight) but I don't seem to have a photo of it...I thought I did.

jom

Jom--I have seen some of the coins from the Pryor set but not the 27-S coin that you are referring to.

The 1927-S that I saw was a MS 64 from a few years back with some crazy rainbow rim tone but it was rather dark in the centers. It kinda looked like an oil puddle that got wet. lol I think that it sold for about 6500! Sheet price is about 3200! The strike was FLAT, though. Overall, I didn't care for it too much.

One other really good set to check out is the 'CAJUN COLLECTION' ATS. There are some remarkably original pieces in that set and they are all very high end.

I have seen some well struck 19-Ds but none that are fully struck. :takeit:

MJ! My jaw is on the ground after seeing that 1937-D!!!!!!!! What amazing color!! (worship)

I, quite honesty, don't think that I've ever seen one better than that! What a high grade, too!!

I always liked the 1937-D ALOT and it is actually scarcer in MS than the low mintage, key 1938-D! ^^

Nice coin, AnkurJ!

I would, also, like to get my 1928-S re-imaged some day, too.

I think that a good photographer would be able to capture a much better image of it and bring out some of the violets and blues much more.

I DO remember Julian L. having a darkly toned 1927-S that he was asking a GIANT premium for but it didn't look real colorful. Maybe it was just a poor image.

Julian actually bought the coin in the auction and owned it for a year or so before he sold it. That would have been about 11 years ago....so I'm not sure if the one you refer to is same coin. I don't remember if the Pryor coins got pedigrees on them so maybe JL re-acquired it later on. ???

I brought up the 19-D because Pryor actually wrote an article on Walkers in CDN many years ago (I got a reprint of it) were he told a story where he'd only see ONE fully stuck 19-D...ever...and it wasn't even a high end piece...maybe "choice" (ie MS63). The article was written in 1979 or so. The article was about each date and their rarities. Good stuff.

jom

I DO remember Julian L. having a darkly toned 1927-S that he was asking a GIANT premium for but it didn't look real colorful. Maybe it was just a poor image.

Julian actually bought the coin in the auction and owned it for a year or so before he sold it. That would have been about 11 years ago....so I'm not sure if the one you refer to is same coin. I don't remember if the Pryor coins got pedigrees on them so maybe JL re-acquired it later on. ???

I brought up the 19-D because Pryor actually wrote an article on Walkers in CDN many years ago (I got a reprint of it) were he told a story where he'd only see ONE fully stuck 19-D...ever...and it wasn't even a high end piece...maybe "choice" (ie MS63). The article was written in 1979 or so. The article was about each date and their rarities. Good stuff.

jom

If it was that long ago, then it couldn't have been the same coin. I have seen so many over the years that I get confused sometimes, too. :P

I am not familiar with the article that Pryor wrote on the fully struck 19-D in MS 63 or better. That sounds like a VERY interesting article. Is it available online?

I once saw a PCGS MS 63 that looked exceptionally well struck but it was not full. There was, however, good definition of the skirt lines and the thumb was well split yet not 100 fully struck. The branch stems did not have full separation, either, but it was likely the nicest MS 63 that I had ever seen.

If I had 15K lying around; I would have surely bought it. :ohnoez:;):grin:

These are fantastic when they color-out like that! I don't have any, but I've seen many. They're out there, for sure!

PS: Lance, your 1917 is trying real hard. It'll be a bigshot one day. :)