• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25th anniversary silver eagle are shipping

30 posts in this topic

I am a small time collector, I knew about the 25th silver eagle release and I was very patient and got my order in at 12:22. The best news is my order shipped TODAY.

Remember don’t open the box. I hope all these people ordering sets on Ebay realize that an opened set of 5 coins kills off 3 coins of the 5 pc set. WHy buy an opened set on Ebay when NGC or PCGS will not grade them as 25th anniversary. Just go buy coins on APMEX and save you money. An opened set can only get 2 of the 5 coins labeled with the 25th anniversary special label.

LJRambo111

I actually bought my one set for my collection. I will be opening these as I don't plan on having to sell them. Hope mine ships soon. Still "in stock and reserved".

Just received my sets! Now I am torn as to whether to send them for grading or tear the box open :-/

I have a 20th Anniversary set in a multi-coin holder and would like to have the same for the 25th Anniversary set. I think NGC still does multi-coin holders for this type of thing.

Just received my sets! Now I am torn as to whether to send them for grading or tear the box open :-/

I have a 20th Anniversary set in a multi-coin holder and would like to have the same for the 25th Anniversary set. I think NGC still does multi-coin holders for this type of thing.

Not sure they have a slab size that could hold 5 of these in 1 slab. Am I wrong?

I, too, think a multi-coin holder would look nicer. And I don't like the holder the mint provides (5 singles across), I think a tiered (3 on top, the 2 proof (PR and RP) on the bottom.....or vice-versa) would look better.

Not sure they have a slab size that could hold 5 of these in 1 slab. Am I wrong?

I, too, think a multi-coin holder would look nicer. And I don't like the holder the mint provides (5 singles across), I think a tiered (3 on top, the 2 proof (PR and RP) on the bottom.....or vice-versa) would look better.

The multi-coin holder is only available for dealers, now, but maybe the oversized holder would work.

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/oversize-holder.aspx

Chris

My order (5) shipped today and should arrive tomorrow if all goes according to plan. It was placed 43-minutes after the coins went on sale, but judging by the sheer number of "in hand" sets on eBay, quite a few people were ahead of me.

I think NGC still does multi-coin holders for this type of thing.

Multi coin holders are now only available to authorized dealers and only for bulk submissions. So the only way for this set to get into a multi coin holder would be for a dealer to do a bulk submission of 100 or more unopened sets and request the multi coin holders.

The oversized holder still holds just a single coin.

I think NGC still does multi-coin holders for this type of thing.

Multi coin holders are now only available to authorized dealers and only for bulk submissions. So the only way for this set to get into a multi coin holder would be for a dealer to do a bulk submission of 100 or more unopened sets and request the multi coin holders.

I know that's the stated policy but I'm pretty confident they will do it for this set because it would just look so cool. This is NGC, not PCGS, and there is not a more collector-friendly company out there. They will bend the rules on this one.

If they won't do it for me, I will sick our friendly neighborhood ex-NGC grader on them :-)

My order shipped this morning. My order number is 38334xxx.

Alot of people are selling these as individual sets on ebay (busted out of their mint shipping box). Too many non collectors involved in the purchase of these coins. The 3 coins that were previously released are going to be valuable in the highest grade. Look at the 2006W MS coin from the 20th anniversay set $630 ( a coin that was available outside of the set) the Rev Proof is $550. I know the Rev Proof and S mint MS coin have the lowest mintage numbers but look out for the other 3 coins in 70 with this designation. With all the flipping going on the quantities available for the"25 Anniversary Set" designation are coming down!

I'm feeling fortunate...hope you all get your orders filled.

Good luck!

Alot of people are selling these as individual sets on ebay (busted out of their mint shipping box). Too many non collectors involved in the purchase of these coins. The 3 coins that were previously released are going to be valuable in the highest grade. Look at the 2006W MS coin from the 20th anniversay set $630 ( a coin that was available outside of the set) the Rev Proof is $550. I know the Rev Proof and S mint MS coin have the lowest mintage numbers but look out for the other 3 coins in 70 with this designation. With all the flipping going on the quantities available for the"25 Anniversary Set" designation are coming down!

Good luck!

I hope they grade every single last one of them 70's!

Chris

Good luck!

Look at the facts.

I have a 2006 Reverse Proof in PF70 .I purchased it from the U,S, Mint.

1. It was $750. It is now $550 which is about a 30% decrease This was during a period when it was the only Reverse Proof in existence.

2. Three of the five coins have already been released. I have all three in Grade 70.They have a red 25th Anniversary Label. The only difference in this set for the three will be a 25th anniversary label with a different design.

I also have one in grade 70 encapsulated by PCGS that it was minted in San Francisco. So the only difference is one has a mint mark and one not with a label in a different design.

So the really big difference is the Reverse Proof and when there was only one in existence it went down in value by 30% and now there are two.

Who is going to pay $4000 for a set of five all graded at 70 or even a few thousand?.

I would have liked to have one as I complete them each year but I will not duplicate a minimum of three coins a these prices and history.

I actually GOT mine today. Very nice set...the reverse proof is a pretty wicked looking coin. Good job...US Mint!

However, I'm baffled as to why the sets were mailed from Indiana. Weird....

jom

I ordered 2 sets, and the box will be opened as soon as it arrives. Considering that all those in this thread and 99,000 other coins will be sent for grading, I have no problem selling my extra set outside the box. After all, judging by how many people didn't get sets, I am sure there are others out there that would want just a set of coins rather than a box to send to Florida...

Jom, the Mint's warehousing and fulfillment are all in Indiana now.

Thanks for that....I haven't bought anything from the Mint in years so this was a bit of a surprise.

As to the boxes: I bought two also but the other one is going to someone else. I guess I don't understand though. This box is rather cheapo looking. If I actually did want to send these for grading I could probably open it up and seal it again. Isn't the point to have the "first strike" label or some such?

The reason I ask is that I'm just curious because I have absolutely NO intention of sending these in for grading. None...zilch. Won't the coins with the original packaging be more scarce in the future? hm I mean, when I think of getting a few of these modern commems and all I'd much rather have the coin in the package than the some idiotic slab.

jom

Won't the coins with the original packaging be more scarce in the future?

jom

More scarce? Perhaps. More valuable? No. If that were the case, it would be quite easy to put the coins back in the original packaging.

My 5 are in-hand as of an hour ago. Well, in-box. With eBay prices now in the mid-$700s, I'm actually thinking that I'd be happy with a 2x return and it's not worth sending in to be graded.

Got mine today 11/14/11. Going to keep them to keep the ASE series going.Wondering if Boss got his yet and did he open the box yet?

Sure did Brian. Got my set Friday, opened and sittin on my bookshelf. lol Glad you got one also my friend!

I put mine away already but one of the coins...it's a regular UNC coin....(I don't even know the exact nature of each of the coins lol) Anyway, it's one of the UNCs and it's got a really nice patina about it. Very subtle color....a nicely made coin IMO. Anyone notice this?

jom

A complete set of 70's sold yesterday on ebay for $3800.

The point I was trying to make is with the 06 W MS coin. In 70, with the 20th anniversary designation, it's over $600.....The exact same coin without that designation is $180.

The 3 coins from the 25th anniversary set, that were previously released, are now going to be limited by that same designation (even better...there are only 100,000 as opposed to 250,000).

I know what your saying though...I bought that 20th Anniversary set in 06 as well. I opened it immediatly as I just had to lay my eyes on that first Rev Pf coin.

I sent mine in for grading as well.....came back a 70. Fantastic...I was also disappointed to see it lose 30% of it's $750 value. I'm also wondering what will happen to this coin now.

But back to my point....since I opened the shipping box, my 06 W MS coin, from that set, will never be able to realize the $600 price tag that the coin with the Anniversary Set designation now enjoys. It's funny how the Rev Pf got all the hype (rightfully so) but the MS coin is actually more valuable...never saw that coming!

With all the broken up sets on ebay...I'm getting all 5 of these 25th Anniversary sets graded. (Need some 70's to make this work out though)