• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1882-S RAW Morgan

30 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I picked this one up on eBay the other day. I tend to shy away from RAW coins, but this one caught my attention (ok, the price did too). I already weighed her and she is the proper weight. She will be graded also.

Obverse

1882-s_1.JPG

Reverse

1882-s_2.JPG

Guesses?

Thanks,

Bryan

They could be hairlines (I defined this is another thread for you) or die polish lines. If the lines are raised, then they are likely die polish lines. This would not be unusual, especially on a proof like coin. If they are not, they are likely hairlines from cleaning (especially if they are clustered together).

Now I see what you are talking about. If that is the only area that you see them, then there is also a good chance that those could be contact marks that are closely clustered together. Usually when you see striations in a pattern, its a great indication of a previous cleaning.

I wasn't saying that the lines had to be in raised areas. If the lines themselves are raised then it could be die polishing lines. If the lines are not raised, and are all over the coin, then there is a good chance that it may have been cleaned.

No problem. I don't want to see you make some of the mistakes that I made when I started. I purchased a couple of cleaned coins unknowingly. When viewing coins it is best to rotate them to see if there are impediments in the luster. Hairlines sometimes also show at various angles over others.

After I went through this stage, I then went to buying certified coins based solely on the grade on the label. While a bit safer than purchasing whizzed or cleaned raw coins, it is far from perfect and the services do make mistakes too. Also premium quality pieces sell. Buying off grade, even if certified, bargains may prove not to be bargains after all. You must know your stuff.

I wish you the best of luck.

No problem. I don't want to see you make some of the mistakes that I made when I started. I purchased a couple of cleaned coins unknowingly. When viewing coins it is best to rotate them to see if there are impediments in the luster. Hairlines sometimes also show at various angles over others.

After I went through this stage, I then went to buying certified coins based solely on the grade on the label. While a bit safer than purchasing whizzed or cleaned raw coins, it is far from perfect and the services do make mistakes too. Also premium quality pieces sell. Buying off grade, even if certified, bargains may prove not to be bargains after all. You must know your stuff.

I wish you the best of luck.

Rotate and watch for darker areas in the cartwheel?

I just noticed something C-Man. I looked at the 1900 O/CC under the loupe and the scratch marks from the cleaning are going every direction. Plus, the scratch marks on Liberty's cheek match the ones in the fields. On this coin, they are top to bottom and are only in the fields.

Enough for one night. G'night!

Contrary to my previous post (now deleted), I mistook your 1891-CC Spitting Eagle Morgan for your 1900 O/CC. I don't recall this coin, have you posted it here? We might be able to help; however, hairlines do not always show in images.

If you want to learn what cleaning does to coins, take common coins (e.g. circulated junk silver worth only melt, copper cents from circulation, nickels from circulation, etc.) and view them before and after various cleaning methods. This will allow you to see the effects in hand.

Good night!

Why did you treat this coin with acetone ? – Stop doing that, this coin did not need it.

I was under the impression that luster accounts for a good part of the grading process. The coin "pops" more then it did before I acetoned it.

Anyone else think I was in the wrong?

Why did you treat this coin with acetone ? – Stop doing that, this coin did not need it.

I was under the impression that luster accounts for a good part of the grading process. The coin "pops" more then it did before I acetoned it.

Anyone else think I was in the wrong?

I honestly have not rinsed/conserved many coins in acetone, so I am not the best to answer this question. My understanding is that pure acetone will only remove debris and will not alter/interfere with a coin's characteristics; however, I will defer to those more knowledgeable in this area. With this said, whatever you do, make sure that you are using pure acetone. Read the label carefully, especially if you buy it from a store like Lowe's or Home Depot. Some add other things as well.