• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Finest Bust Half in Existence

30 posts in this topic

I believe I have seen that coin in at least two other auctions during the past couple of years.

It is a great coin, which looks better in hand, but I wouldn't call it the finest in existence. Highest graded does not always equate with "finest" or 'best" known. Not to mention, there might be others out there which haven't even been graded, or which have been, but might up-grade upon re-submission.

Edited to add:

I checked the Heritage archives, which show that the coin has already appeared four times previously, two of which (June and August of THIS year) it did not meet reserve. That is not the way to market a high grade/high value coin.

HNA archives for the coin in question

Yum! I've been looking for a nice 1814. What will it take to win it? lol.

Lance.

Yeah, I've been waiting for you to find a nice 1814 as well. :devil:

I've seen some real nice CBHs over the past year or so. This one is nice but "finest" is subjective.

jom

This one is nice but "finest" is subjective.

jom

I was really using the term "finest" in an objective sense - this is numerically the highest graded CBH in the census. There are a few other 68's, but this is the only 68*.

1814's I have found to be tough to find. Maybe tougher than any other of the pre-1817 CBH's. In fact, it seems easier to locate decent 14/3's and E/A's than some if not all of the other overtons from this year.

Here is my 103 that someday I will take a shot at regrading for it appears to be unc to me (as I have posted previously in these forums):

1814O-103OBig.jpg

1814O-103RBig.jpg

I believe I have seen that coin in at least two other auctions during the past couple of years.

It is a great coin, which looks better in hand, but I wouldn't call it the finest in existence. Highest graded does not always equate with "finest" or 'best" known. Not to mention, there might be others out there which haven't even been graded, or which have been, but might up-grade upon re-submission.

Edited to add:

I checked the Heritage archives, which show that the coin has already appeared four times previously, two of which (June and August of THIS year) it did not meet reserve. That is not the way to market a high grade/high value coin.

HNA archives for the coin in question

I would have to question the marketing stratergy of this coin . As Mark has pointed out , this coin has been up for auction that many times now , surely anybody that would of had the money would of already bid for it , and lost

I think either the resevre needs to be dropped signioficantly ,or back to the SDB for a few years

To me the finest Bust half dollar known needs to have the following characteristics

- Superb preservation

- Superb strike with all the design sharply defined.

- Early die state with no weakness or die break lines that interfere with the presentation of the design.

- Totally original surfaces that have not been cleaned or dipped.

- Superior eye appeal that leaves advanced collectors sighing “Ahhh…”

The line from Ms. Liberty’s nose to star #5 takes this coin out of that category. It’s nice, but it’s far from the most perfect Bust half dollar IMO.

Based on images, it looks like a nice coin, great even. But in no way does it remotely stand as the finest known bust half! Heck, I remember a few years ago that Julian Liedman had about half a dozen raw examples that I thought were about as nice as I have ever seen in my life.

an olde yet unwanted "friend" and after multiple retail/auction tries with a substancial pricing/reserve over the last couple of years still has yet to find a good home

but as they say in fishing for that special buyer you will need to put the hook in the water enough times and you will eventually catch a buyer

1814's I have found to be tough to find. Maybe tougher than any other of the pre-1817 CBH's. In fact, it seems easier to locate decent 14/3's and E/A's than some if not all of the other overtons from this year.

Here is my 103 that someday I will take a shot at regrading for it appears to be unc to me (as I have posted previously in these forums):

1814O-103OBig.jpg

1814O-103RBig.jpg

That clash is GORGEOUS!

1814's are probably the most clashed CBH's. Only 8 or 9 die pairs were used for minting 1M+. That is impressive service, in those days.

Here are a couple more.

Lance.

788e0023.jpgcc7c7081.jpg

bc45dc87.jpg79fc8513.jpg

On the subject of clashes, here is my favorite 1814 reverse, note the multiple liberty below the eagle's wing to the right of the shield.

116715.jpg.77de6771128736b86a52d44abb633db9.jpg

To me the finest Bust half dollar known needs to have the following characteristics

- Superb preservation

- Superb strike with all the design sharply defined.

- Early die state with no weakness or die break lines that interfere with the presentation of the design.

- Totally original surfaces that have not been cleaned or dipped.

- Superior eye appeal that leaves advanced collectors sighing “Ahhh…”

The line from Ms. Liberty’s nose to star #5 takes this coin out of that category. It’s nice, but it’s far from the most perfect Bust half dollar IMO.

I agree with Bill. I don't know anything about CBH, but I will say the first thing that drew my eye was the ugly clash line from the nose to the star. Only 2nd to that was the quite attractive toning, and 3rd was the quite hideous clashing on the reverse. JMO. :baiting:

I'm guessing whoever bought it back in Jan 2009 for the $80,000 wasn't too happy with the sale price in Jan 2011 for $55,000. (shrug)

Like very many CBH collectors, I love clashing. In some cases I will even pay a bit more for it. I think the subject coin is remarkably beautiful. But obviously it all comes down to taste.

Like porosity on early large cents, clashing comes with CBH's. It would be hard to love the series if you hate clashed dies.

Lance.

Like very many CBH collectors, I love clashing. In some cases I will even pay a bit more for it. I think the subject coin is remarkably beautiful. But obviously it all comes down to taste.

Like porosity on early large cents, clashing comes with CBH's. It would be hard to love the series if you hate clashed dies.

Lance.

Fair enough Lance, but I'd take your 2nd imaged CBH anyday over the one in the Heritage auction, and I'm going to fathom you didn't pay anywhere close to $55,000 for it. :)