• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many types of collectors are there? Which are you?

23 posts in this topic

I read a post years ago in which a collector of super-grade coins commented that he couldn't fathom why anyone would buy circulated coins because such coins lack all the design details.

While I've seen threads asking why we collect what we do, I still wonder how many different types (and varieties) of collectors are out there. Here is my list. Add to it as you see fit.

Major types:

1. The Art Connoisseur

This collector wants the highest grade possible to appreciate the aesthetics of the coins' designs. PF70 coins are his dream.

2. The Monetary Historian

He collects coins to better appreciate what circulated as a medium of exchange in the country or area of his interest. His collection may include coins from fair to BU.

3. The Hoarder

He buys what tickles his fancy. He may have hundreds or even thousands of Indian Head cents.

4. The Competitor

He builds registry sets to show off his accomplishments. The particular merits of the coins don't weigh as much as the assigned point values. He checks his scores on the set registries often.

5. The Particularist

This collector focuses like a laser on a particular type, date or variety (e.g. by VAM). He may even have a collection of a particular VAM by die state.

6. The Investor

This collector only buys what he figures he can sell for a profit. He may be a speculator looking to make a quick buck or a long-term investor.

7. The Co-Collector

He collects coins in conjunction with another of his hobbies or interests. For example, he may collect coins with airplanes on them.

8. The Celebrity or Event Fan

This collector buys coins tied to a certain person or event. The date, denomination, and design of the coin don't matter as much as who owned it or what event it was used in. This could mean collecting coins tied to specific shipwrecks, space flights, etc. or those used by famous people. I think the WTC slabbed coins would appeal to this collector.

9. The General Historian

He buys coins from specific eras he likes. This may be a type set of Edward VI coins, a set of WWII occupied nations coins, or Roman coins by emperor.

I'm both a type 2 and type 9 collector.

Are there any other major types or varieties of collector you can think of?

I guess I fall into the Hodge Podge Collector. I have a sampling of many issues, and grades. Type sets, moderns, series, and junk :cry:

I also have a registry set for my Liberty Nickels so perhaps a little bit competitive too.

Interesting Thread.

OP

I don't really fall into any of the categories as a whole. I'm a little bit of type 3 & 5. Then there's also the type not listed here as the "Impulsive Collector". Sometimes I see something that strikes my interest, buy it, then think, what'd I do that for? lol

I would have to say that I am a combo of 2,3 and 5.

Maybe I am a Magpie, focused on my goals but easily distracted by shiney things.

Maybe we need to add "Impulsive Collector" or "Hodge Podge Collector."

I remember a guy who bought all kinds of things off the bid board at a local shop. His "collection" seemed more of an accumulation of whatever interested him at the time. At one time it was bullion, another time some off-the-wall coin, and you could never tell what he'd consider a bargain and snap up.

Maybe "Magpie" would be another good addition. Sometimes I buy older coins with great eye appeal, even if they don't fit into any set I'm assembling at the time. Finding a great looking 1925 East African shilling got me started on my George V shilling (and equivalent) Commonwealth type set, by the way.

I don't really fall into any of the categories as a whole. I'm a little bit of type 3 & 5. Then there's also the type not listed here as the "Impulsive Collector". Sometimes I see something that strikes my interest, buy it, then think, what'd I do that for? lol

Bobby, I have some of that too. :o

I'm a bit of 1, 4, 5, & 6.

I appreciate the aesthetics of a coin's designs and try for the best that I can afford.

I focus on a specific series, which makes me a particularist, as well.

I LOVE the registry game and I like points and the investor in me realizes that the higher the grade/points the better the long term value but I KNOW that grade/points DO NOT always equate to value, so I buy what I like.

I look for VALUE as well as LT investment.

Wow...I'm not really any of those.

A little bit of 1 but not really interested in MS70

A little bit of 4 but I like to photo my coins to show off. Not interested at all in Registry.

A little bit of 6 but it's Long Term for me only...if I can.

A little bit of 2 as well.

I like toned coins. Is that a 5? hm

jom

Maybe we need to add "Impulsive Collector" or "Hodge Podge Collector."

I remember a guy who bought all kinds of things off the bid board at a local shop. His "collection" seemed more of an accumulation of whatever interested him at the time. At one time it was bullion, another time some off-the-wall coin, and you could never tell what he'd consider a bargain and snap up.

Maybe "Magpie" would be another good addition. Sometimes I buy older coins with great eye appeal, even if they don't fit into any set I'm assembling at the time. Finding a great looking 1925 East African shilling got me started on my George V shilling (and equivalent) Commonwealth type set, by the way.

Impulsive, Hodge podge, and magpie all seem like variations of the same thing.

I think your Art Collector needs to be seriously modified. I couldn't care less about the grade, or level of perfection (70 coins are Boring). I care about the aesthetic appeal - luster, strike, toning, preservation all as a package deal. I want the most eye appealing coin possible. I couldn't care less about its grade (unless its for one of my competititve sets ;) )

Of course, I'm also a bit of a historian and investor. I would also add "The Scientist" to your list. I'm interested in the science (toning, metallurgy, creation, errors, circumstances) of the coin as well.

I guess that I am a lot like Walkerfan; except I am not that into the registry. I only have one registry set and will probably keep it that way. I also look for value in my purchases and it is easy to lose that perspective when buying for a registry set.

6 (long term) - 1 - 5 and a little 4

I would say I am mostly #3, a hoarder. My reason for this is that while I do mostly focus on modern quarters (statehood, territory, national parks), I generally just purchase what catches my eye at the time. Recently I picked up 37 rolls of nickels during the year spands that covered the handsake, ocean in view, bison and keelboat designs. But I have also been purchasing roll after roll of coins that were minted for the 1976 bicentennial since that is my birth year. Another purchase was for 17 of the 1986 Statue of Liberty Commem as it was a great price and allowed me to give themt o my mother for her to hand out in her classroom during a presentation she was making about alternatives to purchasing drugs (spending that money on a hobby instead of a high). So as you can see I am all over the map as far as my collecting habbits and/or style.

I am some of 6 but otherwise collect specific series that I have chosen. Right now, I am not buying anything but when I did and do again, I will either buy nothing or almost nothing else.

I agree with the comment that grade/points do not always (and probably usually) coincide with value which is why I do not agree that the higher the grade equals the better long term "investment" In my opinion, "conditional" rarities where the grade is "very high" are either overpriced or vastly overpriced and therefore, are among the worst long term "investments".