• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oh I just couldn't resist... I had to have it!

22 posts in this topic

I would send it to that restoration guy on tv that works with pawn stars lol

Nice piece :applause:

Thanks... Yet I'm just going to try to replace the dry rotted rubber feet and locate the missing period brass screw.

Now Kryptonitecomics if you even need any of your toned Morgans counted, I'd like to offer to run them through for free! ;):P:D

I’d be careful about the amount of restoration you might do on something like this. I know that with old toys you are better off leaving the old paint on them rather than having them painted to look shiny and new. Replacing a missing part is okay so long as you don’t alter the piece materially in the process, but messing with the finish might be a mistake.

I’d be careful about the amount of restoration you might do on something like this. I know that with old toys you are better off leaving the old paint on them rather than having them painted to look shiny and new. Replacing a missing part is okay so long as you don’t alter the piece materially in the process, but messing with the finish might be a mistake.

BillJones, I fully agree and asked that it wasn't cleaned and shipped "as is" dusty and dirty.

Was this manufactured the same year as Patent?

Also, who was the Manufacturer?

Is the date 4 July? I can't quite make it out.

A very nice piece.

Umm, Have a Trade in mind???

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Very cool. I agree with the minimal restoration other than what you mention, and maybe oiling moving parts.

I found the patent on this device. Patent 455,309, granted 7/7/1891.

Linky to USPTO. You may need to install the AlternaTiff plug-in to see the images.

Very cool. I agree with the minimal restoration other than what you mention, and maybe oiling moving parts.

I found the patent on this device. Patent 455,309, granted 7/7/1891.

Linky to USPTO. You may need to install the AlternaTiff plug-in to see the images.

Oh too cool Messydesk as you found the actual patent office submitted design drawing! :applause:

The patent was one of the first issued that day. July 7, 1891, was a busy day at the patent office, with a couple hundred being granted that day. This was the 14th. Interesting that back then, like now, Tuesday was patent granting day.

In addition to being cool to look at, the patent drawings and specification can give guidance as to what restoration to do. In addition to the rubber feet that may be rotting or missing, there are rubber cushions at the base of the levers meant for noise deadening. From the drawing it looks like a wiper blade could be cut to fit if these are missing. Another vulnerable part seems to be a spring behind each lever near a hinge at the top of the device (not visible in photos).

Great piece. I would do nothing to it. It's just fine the way it is.

You should load it with silver and take some new images.

It would be really cool to put coins of the time on top that show in the images.