• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Image Do You Prefer ? Top or Bottom ?

33 posts in this topic

I had four coins imaged by two professional photographers;

which coins' images do you prefer ?

The Top Images or The Bottom ones?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1917-P Type Two

66c660dc-1.jpg

7f6b597b-1.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7d6606b7-1.jpg

cfbdd65f-1.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03090b13-1.jpg

a47c94bd-1.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

f6a1a6e7-1.jpg

d24293e0-1.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm interested in your thoughts as well as to why you like

one image over the other.

I prefer the top photo for all 4. The bottom are overexposed (blown out) in most, and the contrast seems to be off. The 1st and 3rd coins are particularly "contrasty" in the 2nd images. The 4th coin 2nd image is over-brightened. The detail is lost when the brightness is blown out like that.

A lot of this is personal preference, as some people prefer to see more "luster" (read cartwheel reflections), whereas I much prefer to see the detail and the surfaces in more muted or diffused light. My favorite of the bunch is the 1921.

-Brandon

I prefer the top photo for all 4. The bottom are overexposed (blown out) in most, and the contrast seems to be off. The 1st and 3rd coins are particularly "contrasty" in the 2nd images. The 4th coin 2nd image is over-brightened. The detail is lost when the brightness is blown out like that.

A lot of this is personal preference, as some people prefer to see more "luster" (read cartwheel reflections), whereas I much prefer to see the detail and the surfaces in more muted or diffused light. My favorite of the bunch is the 1921.

-Brandon

+1

Chris

No question, I prefer the top photos in all cases. The color separation and depth appears much more appealing in the upper photos. The bottom appear to lighten all the fields and to gather the toning areas toward a more unnatural look.

Jim

I agree with the first 3 replies, I find the top photos more appealing in terms of color, contrast and definition.

I'll wager that the top photos are also closer to actual appearance "in hand".

As I stated in another of your threads, the 1917 is my favorite.

Carl

I prefer the top photos on all. I believe I know who both photographers are and now seeing two coins that both of them have done, there is no comparison. In fact, I have seen a coin in hand from both of those photographers, and I would have to say, that I would pick the top photographer every time on any coin.

too much contrast on the bottom photos............. to get those images in photoshop at that contrast level, one has to really juice it on the contrasto meter - at least 60% increase for sure. There is also the possibility that the Saturation was juiced up quite abit.

At first glance I'd have to say the TOP ones. The bottom ones seem a tad "juiced" although that might not be the best description.

HOWEVER, this is important, the BEST photo is the one that reproduces the look of the coin accurately. Since I've never seen any of the coins in hand how does one really know? But it's a good bet that the TOP photos are more likely to represent the real coins.

jom

I like the top images on all of the coins shown. They're vivid and tend to look more like they should. The lower images seem to bright, to much light or shutter speed problems, I guess. But at any rate I like the top images. Which look most like the coin? Nice pieces by the way, I love standing lLiberty quarters.....Joe

asides from what has already been said about the quality of the photos,

I prefer when the label is separate from the coin

and I think the label should be much smaller

so as to not distract the eye from the coin,

if you want to include the label at all.

asides from what has already been said about the quality of the photos,

I prefer when the label is separate from the coin

and I think the label should be much smaller

so as to not distract the eye from the coin,

if you want to include the label at all.

Some people actually prefer to block all or part of the serial numbers. I guess they think someone is going to steal the information and sell it to the Chinese.

Chris

Top across the board. I prefer to see the details. As for the bright ones trying to show luster, that is something which needs to be seen in hand.

Chet

I am not very good at using pictures to decide the true appearence of a coin.

However, to my eyes, I prerer the bottom set of pictures for all four coins.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Herecy!

Nonconformist!

Witch!

You will be assimilated.

I am not very good at using pictures to decide the true appearence of a coin.

However, to my eyes, I prerer the bottom set of pictures for all four coins.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Herecy!

Nonconformist!

Witch!

You will be assimilated.

Sigh....

I knew it would start....

Sooner or later people would turn on me.

First, a MICA DriveBy yesterday, and now

an RGT DriveBy today.

Even when I freely admit I am no good at something, I am chastised and condemnation is my Prize for Honesty.

But, (there is always a "But"), thruout it all, I remain;

Respectfully,

John Curlis