• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin thief ripped me off.....UPDATED....Last post...Page 15, I think

154 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear that.

What were the specific terms of the trade agreement? Was it worded as a sight-seen trade?

I would suggest that you contact both EBay and NGC - perhaps either or both could put some pressure on the seller.

Out of curiosity, what exactly could NGC do?

NGC could terminate his authorized dealer membership. And if the way he attempted to charge Joe an inequitable amount for postage, etc., is any indication, perhaps they should.

I think I might give them a call. I wonder if Aaron knows that I worked there for seven years?

I didn't know that he was a NGC Authorized Dealer. I think it would be quite fitting if they revoked his status.

Sorry to hear that.

What were the specific terms of the trade agreement? Was it worded as a sight-seen trade?

I would suggest that you contact both EBay and NGC - perhaps either or both could put some pressure on the seller.

I have done trades with this guy in the past. It's ALWAYS on approval. This guy juices his images way to much for me to do a trade like that " sight unseen"

He knows very well he ripped me off and lied about selling it. He's a liar & a thief. I swear to God I am telling the truth....

You might be correct, but you didn't answer my question regarding the specifics of the transaction agreement. If you were equally vague with him, unfortunately, you might have left an opening for him to take advantage of.

I know Mark didn't intend for it to sound so, but I hope he can clarify that this is not an accepted practice, "to take advantage of." The way it's worded almost makes it sound commonplace, upon first read.

Sad situation y'all have there, btw. Good luck.

It's not acceptable, to me, to take advantage of unclear terms. But plenty of people, in all different types of situations do so.

Sorry to hear that.

Out of curiosity, what exactly could NGC do?

NGC could terminate his authorized dealer membership. And if the way he attempted to charge Joe an inequitable amount for postage, etc., is any indication, perhaps they should.

I think I might give them a call. I wonder if Aaron knows that I worked there for seven years?

I didn't know that he was a NGC Authorized Dealer. I think it would be quite fitting if they revoked his status.

Perhaps he isn't. But he apparently submitted coins directly to NGC. So in one way or another, he must be authorized to do so. And that authorization can be revoked..

Couldn't find it on eBay - yet.

The seller ended the listing, supposedly as the first step in a possible resolution to this situation. The problem is that his "offer" to sell the coin back to Joe includes a disproportionate share of the grading fees and postage which were involved.

The seller ended the listing, supposedly as the first step in a possible resolution to this situation. The problem is that his "offer" to sell the coin back to Joe includes a disproportionate share of the grading fees and postage which were involved.

The nickel and dime-ing is just amazing. Are dealers on such a low margin that this becomes necessary? I mean just the loss of possible sales due to this thread alone has GOT to be more than $40 on grading fees or whatever it was. Is coin dealing really that bad? hm

jom

The nickel and dime-ing is just amazing. Are dealers on such a low margin that this becomes necessary? I mean just the loss of possible sales due to this thread alone has GOT to be more than $40 on grading fees or whatever it was. Is coin dealing really that bad? hm

jom

No, but lack of clear communication and courtesy on both sides of the table may be making a push for a First Place Finish and a Claim on the Bad Medal......

Respectfully, (of course)

John Curlis

This "Captivatingcoins" guy on ebay is a JOKE! He has amazing deals all over ebay...lol. Actually, when searching through ebay all I see are his juiced, ridiculously priced coins... grow a pair and run an auction or two.

Joe has been around the boards for quite a while and has one of the best rainbow buffalo nickel collections I have seen. He has no reason to come on here and lie about the details of a trade. I just can't believe someone would lie and say they already sold the coin they just traded for and it ends up back on ebay under one of his multi-accounts.

I know this has been a headache from hell for Joe, and I'm glad I know not to look through "Captivatingcoins" inventory ever again!

Joe has been around the boards for quite a while and has one of the best rainbow buffalo nickel collections I have seen. He has no reason to come on here and lie about the details of a trade. I just can't believe someone would lie and say they already sold the coin they just traded for and it ends up back on ebay under one of his multi-accounts.

I know this has been a headache from hell for Joe, and I'm glad I know not to look through "Captivatingcoins" inventory ever again!

Couldn't have said it better. I will take Joe's word anytime over a person like this, with no scruples and apparently a great liar. I've known Joe for a few years and they don't come with anymore honesty or integrity than he has. This other participant need to man up and make this deal square.

I am less amazed that such an individual exists selling on ebay than I am by the fact that a few on the board actually attempt to support the lies they spread. I think maybe this unsrupulous individual will continue to succeed to some small level due to the gullibillity of many in the coin community. Hopefully, this time the bum has taken on more than his plate can handle. Hope so, regardless. Best of luck, Joe.

Jim

I am less amazed that such an individual exists selling on ebay than I am by the fact that a few on the board actually attempt to support the lies they spread. I think maybe this unsrupulous individual will continue to succeed to some small level due to the gullibillity of many in the coin community. Hopefully, this time the bum has taken on more than his plate can handle. Hope so, regardless. Best of luck, Joe.

Jim

I don't think there is a single person on these boards who attempted to 'support' the alleged lies this dealer. However, in my case, I don't know either party from Adam, I only know what is on the web - posts here and ebay listings. The ONLY INFORMATION listed in the posts here states in an email that the buyer offered $190 for the coin. Whether that email is tainted, and whether other emails were exchanged that support's Joe's side, were never shown. Joe's posts here are always positive with the exception of this thread, the dealer by his words seems abit, well....... So really, no evidence supports either parties allegations and that was clearly what I for one was trying to find out - is there evidence to support Joe's allegations? That has nothing to do with whether I support the dealer or not (Again, I am neutral and don't know either of them). As jom pointed out, any email evidence listed here could be tainted so we will never know. So in such a case, knowing neither party, I support neither side. So jes if you are referring to my post, you are incorrect, I did not support the dealer, I was only trying to get information that would help support the side of Joe, nothing more.

Best, HT

Jim

I don't think there is a single person on these boards who attempted to 'support' the alleged lies this dealer. However, in my case, I don't know either party from Adam, I only know what is on the web - posts here and ebay listings. The ONLY INFORMATION listed in the posts here states in an email that the buyer offered $190 for the coin. Whether that email is tainted, and whether other emails were exchanged that support's Joe's side, were never shown. Joe's posts here are always positive with the exception of this thread, the dealer by his words seems abit, well....... So really, no evidence supports either parties allegations and that was clearly what I for one was trying to find out - is there evidence to support Joe's allegations? That has nothing to do with whether I support the dealer or not (Again, I am neutral and don't know either of them). As jom pointed out, any email evidence listed here could be tainted so we will never know. So in such a case, knowing neither party, I support neither side. So jes if you are referring to my post, you are incorrect, I did not support the dealer, I was only trying to get information that would help support the side of Joe, nothing more.

I agree with what HT has stated. I can certainly see, if you didn't know either party, a problem with Joe's side of things. It had bothered me as well. However, the eBayer never denied the fact he sent a COIN in return for the 24-P in question and NOT cash clearly making it a trade. He had no right to send a coin to NGC since he did NOT own it. Then the eBayer "fibbed" about his TPG fees when offering a questionable solution. Add all that to the fact I know Joe a bit I have to side with him. Much of that goes into knowing Joe which HT does not. So I can see HT's side of things.

As to Jes's statement "I think maybe this unscrupulous individual will continue to succeed to some small level due to the gullibility of many in the coin community."

This may be true because even a TURD can float.

jom

Joe, what has been done to you is 100% totally wrong. If I where you id be posting this on every coin forum I can find! As collectors its our duty to protect each other, especially from scam artists that ruin this hobby!

post a link of the auction @

NGC

PCGS

ALL coin forums you can think of

so people can quickly block this guy

if enough people report the listing ebay will pull it anyway

and maybe he can reconsider his actions which are representing the downside to this hobby.

Jim

Best, HT

That sounds very fair minded. I will add, however, that 1) the Ebay seller never denied he had lied about having sold the coin, when, in fact, he hadn't. And 2) he made an offer to settle the matter, which included charging Joe for an inequitable portion of the postage and $8 service chargeS for a multiple coin submission.

In my book, those represent two big strikes against him. And, in the face of conflicting stories, I believe the one which says the trade was to have been sight-seen, as opposed to sight-unseen. I'm playing the odds in that regard.

I've known Joe a while. There is not a dishonest bone in his body. He is generous to a fault.

I am bummed for his loss but I know he'll recover. Right now he is a victim wanting justice, that's all. Let it be served.

Lance.

Jim

Best, HT

That sounds very fair minded. I will add, however, that 1) the Ebay seller never denied he had lied about having sold the coin, when, in fact, he hadn't. And 2) he made an offer to settle the matter, which included charging Joe for an inequitable portion of the postage and $8 service chargeS for a multiple coin submission.

In my book, those represent two big strikes against him. And, in the face of conflicting stories, I believe the one which says the trade was to have been sight-seen, as opposed to sight-unseen. I'm playing the odds in that regard.

Mark that makes complete sense, thanks for pointing that out. Like I said, the dealer's posts here seem abit dodgy, and clearly these are strikesthat make his side of the story not so strong......

I've known Joe a while. There is not a dishonest bone in his body. He is generous to a fault.

I am bummed for his loss but I know he'll recover. Right now he is a victim wanting justice, that's all. Let it be served.

Lance.

Lance, thanks for the supporting character information for Joe, that helps. What I was worried about from the onset of this is whether Joe has misunderstood the terms of the agreement. But Mark's points in his last post considering my comments, clearly shows this was not the case.

The CRO boys always say something about having to 'pay tuition' as one learns about this industry. This is clearly one of the tuition moments and it is good that Joe vetted this out here on the boards, will help us all.

Best, HT

I don't know any of the parties, but after reading this thread I'd propose a few of us donate an amount that equals the $81. the dealer is requesting (as an additional fee to the $190.).

If the buyer is willing to spend $190. to get this 1924 buffalo back I'd be willing to Paypal Mark $20. toward the added and requested fees the seller needs to complete the transaction. Three other members here can do likewise we can fix this.

My goal is not to right a wrong but instead to get the buyer his coin back.

I don't know any of the parties, but after reading this thread I'd propose a few of us donate an amount that equals the $81. the dealer is requesting (as an additional fee to the $190.).

If the buyer is willing to spend $190. to get this 1924 buffalo back I'd be willing to Paypal Mark $20. toward the added and requested fees the seller needs to complete the transaction. Three other members here can do likewise we can fix this.

My goal is not to right a wrong but instead to get the buyer his coin back.

Please don't do that. I was going to stay silent, but I feel as though I need to speak out at this point. I have been emailed by Aaron and he has replied to me he is sending my coin back. Of course I will believe it when I get it in my hand. I will refund Aaron his $190.00 plus the shipping to my house and NOTHING more. I feel the pressure applyed by the good people of this forum has takin it's toll on Aaron and he has caved in. It's either that or the fact I was going to let the police take it from here may have swayed his decision to do the right thing. But at any rate, this was not what this thread was about. It was not intended for me to get my coin back rather to warn you all as what has happened to me and to be warned of this seller.

I can not thank the good folks on this forum who has spoke out and the character references from my friends who know me and can speak out on the kind of person I am, it is appreciated. I am not the kind of person that would make up such horrible lies about someone if it were not true. I would have nothing to gain. Nothing what so ever..This is a very heart felt thank you to all of you. You folks are the greatest........Joe

Aaron has returned my coin & I have returned his money. I am grateful. Thank you Aaron....Joe

:applause::applause::applause:

That's great! He tried to pull a fast one on you, but obviously he didn't know how involved you are on the boards and one of the good guys.

... what's that thing Carson Daly invented??? Karma, this guy needs to start a list now. lol

I'm just glad it's all over now.