• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Biggest Newp EVER! Courtesy of Legend Numismatics!

15 posts in this topic

I posted this ATS but I know not everyone visits there, so I thought I would share it with everyone here as well!

So the last ANA auction, there were only a handful of coins I had my eye on. As the auctions progressed, I narrowed in on a 1799 $10 Draped Bust in PCGS AU58 CAC. I had my bids ready, and after consulting with a few dealers and fellow collectors, I set my max. When the dust settled, I was outbid by one increment. It was a bit depressing, but thats how the game goes. There are so few CAC'd early $10 pieces that have been offered, I just wasnt sure when I would have an opportunity to purchase another. In the last 2 years, I have only seen 3-4 CAC'd examples, some of which were well out of my price range.

The other day while browsing Legend's website, I saw a listing for an 1812 Bust Half that was marked on hold. I called to inquire about it, and was told they will know the next day if it is available or not. When I called the next day, I spoke to Laura who told me the coin was available, and that they would send it to me on approval. During our conversation, I asked her how she liked the ANA auctions. I mentioned that I was outbid on the one coin I was after, a 1799 $10 in PCGS AU58 CAC. Laura said immediately, I won that coin! I knew that the coin must have been very good quality for her to bid on it. Laura very graciously offered me the coin at a slight percentage over hammer due to the fact that I was the underbidder. I thought about it for a few hours, and spoke to a few friends about it. They all agreed that it was a solid coin, and one with very little risk. Even though I was paying a VERY SLIGHT premium, the market would catch up to and exceed it.

So after much searching, I am proud to add this beautiful 1799 $10 piece to my collection! A big thanks to Laura of Legend Numismatics for offering me this coin. And to Jim Polonsky and John Albanese for their words of wisdom.

That being said...I'm pretty much done for the year! Thanks for looking!

2dbpksp.jpg

I've ALWAYS just simply admired 18th century coinage SO MUCH and it is SUCH a GREAT investment, as it is going nowhere but straight UP. 18th century gold is EVEN BETTER!! That is one BREATHTAKING EAGLE!! SO high end with OGH, CAC & all!! I think that you did the right thing!!

BTW--You said that you are done for the year?! That's great news!! That means that you will be ready to buy again in less than 4 months~!! :grin:

Congrats!!