• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883 o Morgan

29 posts in this topic

Very common year and mint mark for morgans so I would say not worth submitting.

I would grade about AU55, looks pretty worn at the breast feathers and above the ear hairline. May just be the pictures but that is my initial feeling.

Typical flat struck Now Orleans mint Morgan dollar. The coin is in the AU-55 to 58 range. Not worth submitting for grading.

BTW does this look more like the color of your coin? The problem is easy enough with white balance issues.

OMintTemp.jpg

In my opinion, I would submit it-

You could do a combination of 5 coins under ecomomy and save some cash,

And I would grade it AU-58 to MS-63. Orleans morgans are known for HORRIBLE strikes which can look like wear.

Plus, it would increase the marketability of the morgan and make it more desirable. (To me, at least :) )

I would agree that this is about AU55. Not worth submitting in my opinion. I would also like to add that not all information in the post is accurate. We have a new member it looks that knows nothing about what he's talking about. A slab would not make this morgan any more desirable than as it stands right now. Bill gave you good advice also.

I would agree that this is about AU55. Not worth submitting in my opinion. I would also like to add that not all information in the post is accurate. We have a new member it looks that knows nothing about what he's talking about. A slab would not make this morgan any more desirable than as it stands right now. Bill gave you good advice also.

New member = Newbie collector? I don't think so.

I even said it was my opinion, maybe your's is different. But I stand by my information, and I think a slab would be best for the coin.

Looks like we have an "experienced" collector that knows nothing about what he's talking about ;)

NOT WORTH SUBMITTING! Any added value or marketability resulting from the slabbing of this coin will not come anywhere near offsetting the expense of submission/slabbing.

(Because of ease only!) Searching the "bay" for raw 83-o, you'll find they've been selling for $40-$45 in the last few days, while those that are slabbed and ms63 or less have been going for $45-$55. Here's an example in the high end of that range for reference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1883-O-MORGAN-DOLLAR-PCGS-MS63-N-R-3-613-/270797619403?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3f0ccbc0cb

Your example is likely a 55-58 and has a good chance of getting a details grade based on what I see in the form of scrapes/wipes across the face and fields.

That said, submitting could provide a valuable lesson that may help improve the quality of your future purchases. (Knowledge can be invaluable)

AU55-AU58. Greysheet on 1883-O is:

AU 34.50

60 38.00

63 68.00

64 78.00

65 185.00

Really not worth getting certified unless you have a sure MS65.

Carl

That said, submitting could provide a valuable lesson that may help improve the quality of your future purchases. (Knowledge can be invaluable)

Why waste the cost of a submission when he has gotten the answer here? That’s the reason NGC created this area on their site.

The response from the grading service will by necessity be cryptic and not all that informative for a beginning collector. Submission costs go beyond the grading fees. There is also postage both ways which is getting higher and higher. Learning what to submit for grading and what not to submit for grading is a skill that all intermediate to advanced collectors need to develop.

Why waste the cost of a submission when he has gotten the answer here? Thats the reason NGC created this area on their site.

The response from the grading service will by necessity be cryptic and not all that informative for a beginning collector. Submission costs go beyond the grading fees. There is also postage both ways which is getting higher and higher. Learning what to submit for grading and what not to submit for grading is a skill that all intermediate to advanced collectors need to develop.

I couldn't agree more, just pointing out that there is sometimes non-monetary "value" derived from such actions. (meant more for the hard headed, who have to experience everything first hand:)

Why waste the cost of a submission when he has gotten the answer here? That’s the reason NGC created this area on their site.

And I would submit :)

If it turned out to be a Top 100 VAM-4, it might be worth it if it looked like this one.................

Show-off! lol

???hm hm hm

Like I said- Orlean's poor strikes can pass for wear.

The weak strikes that plague a number of issues of New Orleans mint silver dollars do not pass for wear among those who know how to grade coins. The friction in the fields of this coin, now shown with better white balance, are clearly marks of wear. As such this coin would be priced more upon its melt value in the current metals market than on its numismatic value, which is quite low.

If you swirl this coin in the light you will see breaks in the cartwheel luster that are the hallmarks of a less than Mint State coin. Those breaks make the difference between AU and Mint State.

OMintTemp.jpg

The weak strikes that plague a number of issues of New Orleans mint silver dollars do not pass for wear among those who know how to grade coins. The friction in the fields of this coin, now shown with better white balance, are clearly marks of wear. As such this coin would be priced more upon its melt value in the current metals market than on its numismatic value, which is quite low.

If you swirl this coin in the light you will see breaks in the cartwheel luster that are the hallmarks of a less than Mint State coin. Those breaks make the difference between AU and Mint State.

OMintTemp.jpg

(thumbs u

OMintTemp.jpg

I'm not saying there isn't wear, I'm saying that the strike can make it look like it has wear when it really doesn't have that much.

I can't see how your second paragraph relates to anything when you don't have the coin in hand.

"If you swirl this coin in the light you will see breaks in the cartwheel luster that are the hallmarks of a less than Mint State coin. Those breaks make the difference between AU and Mint State."

I learned something today, thanks for this information!

OMintTemp.jpg

I'm not saying there isn't wear, I'm saying that the strike can make it look like it has wear when it really doesn't have that much.

I can't see how your second paragraph relates to anything when you don't have the coin in hand.

The strike is irrelevant in this case, as the clear marks of wear on this coin preclude any reason to examine the strike in any further detail.

Bill's second paragraph was obviously aimed at instructing the op/owner as to how to examine the coin in hand to gain a better understanding of the tell-tale signs to expect to see on a specimen such as this one. Anyone who has handled enough of these can EASILY see, even from that pic, the state of the coin, and KNOWS what it will look like when examined in hand.

OMintTemp.jpg

The strike is irrelevant in this case, as the clear marks of wear on this coin preclude any reason to examine the strike in any further detail.

Bill's second paragraph was obviously aimed at instructing the op/owner as to how to examine the coin in hand to gain a better understanding of the tell-tale signs to expect to see on a specimen such as this one. Anyone who has handled enough of these can EASILY see, even from that pic, the state of the coin, and KNOWS what it will look like when examined in hand.

Yes, the strike matters. Like some of the weakly struck walkers, the strike must be considered along with the wear.

You do not have the coin in hand, so you can't definitively make that judgement.

I'm not saying that if it is AU or MS, I'm saying the strike can look like wear and it can not be 100% accurately evaluated unless you have the coin.

OMintTemp.jpg

Yes, the strike matters. Like some of the weakly struck walkers, the strike must be considered along with the wear.

You do not have the coin in hand, so you can't definitively make that judgement.

I'm not saying that if it is AU or MS, I'm saying the strike can look like wear and it can not be 100% accurately evaluated unless you have the coin.

insufficiently_thoughtful_person - What the does the strike have to do with the big scrapes across the face and OBVIOUS breaks to the luster in the fields. It can be the best or the worst struck coin out there and it's still AU and worth a small premium above melt. Did you sell this to the OP?

Regardless of if this coin is AU55 or MS63 the OP asked if he should submit...

and my answer for either grade is no when you can buy a graded example already slabbed for under $80 in MS63

Regardless of if this coin is AU55 or MS63 the OP asked if he should submit...

and my answer for either grade is no when you can buy a graded example already slabbed for under $80 in MS63

Agreed, which I stated in my original response, before our resident insufficiently_thoughtful_person decided to provide his 2 cents and contradict reputable advice. However, I'm getting common date ngc/pcgs graded 63 morgans for $35-40 each right now, so 80 is waaaay overpriced. I wouldn't pay over 60 for a nice 64 in 83-o...